Sign in with
Your question

LG GSA 4081BB or LiteOn LDW-811S DVD Writer?

Last response: in Storage
February 15, 2004 2:52:36 PM

I checked out some DVD burner reviews in the hardware guide and was very surprised to see the LG GSA 4040B come out on the top of the recommended list. But then again, I did not see a review of a Plextor or Lie-on DVD burner. The local computer shop has the two models mentioned in the title for ~$200 CDN, and I was wondering which is the better buy. Also, are Memorex DVDs good quality?
Related resources
February 16, 2004 8:59:59 AM

Thx for the links guys. I'm convinced. Now I just need to find some high quality media to burn my DVDs on. How is the Memorex stuff?
February 17, 2004 1:41:57 AM

Memorex doesn't make the media themselves and buys from other supplies. It ranges from good to crap depending on what batch you get. Be wary.

With the LiteOn I would recommend getting Ritek or Ricoh media. Works great with very few errors.
February 17, 2004 6:48:19 PM

Ricoh is not a bad suggestion. However myself I always use Philips and they are pretty solid. I have had a couple of scratches on Philips media and I can still read, write and rewrite without any problems! Memorex didn't last me for a month so its true that their media is kinda crap - or I have been cursed by getting a CD from the crap batch!

Sony are pretty good but they come at a price. Best bet is Philips or Ricoh!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me
!