Cancel Search Companion with the keyboard

I know how to bring up the Search Companion via the keyboard (F3) but I
haven't been able to cancel it with the keyboard if I decide I really
don't need to search. ESC seems the likely candidate but that doesn't
do it. Alt-F4, of course closes the open folder.

What am I missing here?

Thank you very much.

My bad! It appears using F3 again closes it.

Thanks anyway.