Internet Connection Status Icon missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am unable to get the internet connection status Icon to show up in my
system tray any more. I have right clicked on my internet connection icon in
Network Places and choose Status but it never shows up. Also when I close IE
it no longer disconnects although I have set the dialup connection to auto
disconnect when closing IE. The strange part is if I close IE and then go to
the Internet connection Icon the only option it gives me is to Connect but if
I pick up my phone I can see that I am still connected to the internet so I
have to reboot the pc to drop the connection....any help would be great.
Thanks.

I've the exact same problem. One solution is to refresh (F5) the "Network
Connections" folder but this is not very satisfactory.

ch90

"Intimmydator" wrote:

> I am unable to get the internet connection status Icon to show up in my
> system tray any more. I have right clicked on my internet connection icon in
> Network Places and choose Status but it never shows up. Also when I close IE
> it no longer disconnects although I have set the dialup connection to auto
> disconnect when closing IE. The strange part is if I close IE and then go to
> the Internet connection Icon the only option it gives me is to Connect but if
> I pick up my phone I can see that I am still connected to the internet so I
> have to reboot the pc to drop the connection....any help would be great.
> Thanks.

maximim

** Bump **

Identical description to my problem: No Wired or Wireless icon shows in the Systray,even if you set both icons to "Show Always" in the System Tray properties.

Network Connections window does not refresh automatically to update connection status anymore. Only way is to manually refresh via Right-click or F5 as described.

"Status" window won't appear when selected from the right-click menu.

I use this computer for Home Automation and its driving me nutz! Trying to avoid having to format/re-install windows because this installation is not that old and it has some many little programs and extras for work =(

I believe its related somehow to combating certain virus/malware problems wether caused directly by malicious software or indirectly via some cleaning process or program. Perhaps its coincidental, but thats about when I noticed it was happening.

pmize502

Re-Bump
yeah I have the SAME EXACT issue.... and it is now preventing me from accessing wireless networks...

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh and the F5 thing works in the network connections window... Not the system tray...

pmize502

The option box is checked.

This is not a novice problem and that answer has been offered. One other thing that should be mentioned...
The Status option in the application menu (that menu thingy that pops out when you right click on in the icon) will not bring up the connection status screen. nothing brings up the status screen and now the wireless adapter will not aquire an IP Address, and will not establish a connection to access point when IP is manually coded.

Control Panel-->Network and Internet Connections-->NetWork Connections

* Click on LAN or Hignspeed Internet Connection icon.

* Right Click and select "Properties" option

* Local Area Connection Properties window should be opened

* Select the Check box "Show icon in notification area when connected" if it is not selected

* Click OK.

* Now the internet icon will be displaying in your icon notification area. :)

viseu

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
What worked for me with Win XP was:

Control Panel-->Network and Internet Connections-->Wireless Connection

* Right-click on Wireless Internet Connection icon.

* Click on Repair Connection

The icon reappeared instantaneously