Replace Linux OS with XP

June 17, 2005 11:08:02 AM

I have a laptop that has Linux installed on it which I'd like to replace with
windows XP. I have tried to load XP by installing the disk, but it does not
work. I know nothing about the linux OS and would appreciate any tips to get
us up and running

More about : replace linux

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:44:13 PM

You will need to delete all partitions, and format before you can install
Linux. Boot with the XP CD, select the option to Install Windows, accept the
license agreement, delete all the partitions, create a new partition
(generally you can just create one partition that encompasses the entire
drive) format as NTFS and then setup should continue.

Visit the manufacturer's site to determine if you need specific XP drivers
for the laptop's hardware.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Scotty" <Scotty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop that has Linux installed on it which I'd like to replace
with
> windows XP. I have tried to load XP by installing the disk, but it does
not
> work. I know nothing about the linux OS and would appreciate any tips to
get
> us up and running
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:49:24 PM

'How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP'
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314458

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Scotty wrote:
> I have a laptop that has Linux installed on it which I'd like to replace with
> windows XP. I have tried to load XP by installing the disk, but it does not
> work. I know nothing about the linux OS and would appreciate any tips to get
> us up and running
June 19, 2005 7:11:37 PM

S.Sengupta wrote:

> 'How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP'
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314458
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP

Much easier to just zero-fill the drive, then install XP.

Steve

> Scotty wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop that has Linux installed on it which I'd like to
>> replace with windows XP. I have tried to load XP by installing the
>> disk, but it does not work. I know nothing about the linux OS and
>> would appreciate any tips to get us up and running
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:55:28 AM

Oh Guy,

Why do you repalce a stable OS with a less stable OS?

--
Jerry Wong

http://www.geocities.com/jerrywong.geo

??? ????????????????(?1:9)
I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry
land. (Jonah 1:9)
"Steve N." <me@here.now>
???????:JWfte.6520$jX6.1028@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> S.Sengupta wrote:
>
>> 'How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP'
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314458
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Much easier to just zero-fill the drive, then install XP.
>
> Steve
>

>> Scotty wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop that has Linux installed on it which I'd like to replace
>>> with windows XP. I have tried to load XP by installing the disk, but it
>>> does not work. I know nothing about the linux OS and would appreciate
>>> any tips to get us up and running

Anonymous
March 30, 2011 10:56:45 AM

Quote: