Batch Changing of Extensions from JPE to JPG

I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to have
their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new Adobe
Photoshop.

I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
there a way to change them as a group?

Thanks,

Dennis

i know for sure if they are in a same folder....

yu can select them all, right click and rename.... name it to *.jpg

just curious, why do u want to change the extension, from my experience jpe
arent that difficult to edit (or perform any action) than jpg's.

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>have their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
>Adobe Photoshop.
>
> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
> there a way to change them as a group?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

The new Photoshop CS2 has a file viewer program with it called Bridge that
views all the Adobe types of images. This is a new concept for Adobe and it
displays the jpg preview/thumbnail images normally, but if the image is a
jpe, it will sometimes distort the preview/thumbnail in the viewing window.
The file always opens normally, just the preview/thumbnail is distorted.

Changing the file extension from jpe to jpg cures this quirk. Adobe is
working on a fix, but until then thought I would just make the changes to
the jpe in my 26k images.

I have always assumed that jpe and jpg are the same image type, jpe being
the first three letters of jpeg, the full name.

Dennis

"Macho Man" <NOSPAM_h.b@usask.ca_NOSPAM> wrote in message
>i know for sure if they are in a same folder....
>
> yu can select them all, right click and rename.... name it to *.jpg
>
> just curious, why do u want to change the extension, from my experience
> jpe arent that difficult to edit (or perform any action) than jpg's.
>
> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>>have their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
>>Adobe Photoshop.
>>
>> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
>> there a way to change them as a group?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
have
> their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new Adobe
> Photoshop.
>
> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
> there a way to change them as a group?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

How about this command from a Command Prompt:

ren *.jpe *.jpg

Bobby

That doesn't seem to work?

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
> have
>> their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new Adobe
>> Photoshop.
>>
>> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
>> there a way to change them as a group?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> How about this command from a Command Prompt:
>
> ren *.jpe *.jpg

It matters where you type it. As there are many shortcuts one needs to know how the commands are interpretred.

Assume you are changing all jpe to jpg in My Pictures.

ren "%userprofile%\my documents\my pictures\*.jpe" "%userprofile%\my documents\my pictures\*.jpg"
"Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23BmYqB1cFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> That doesn't seem to work?
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>> have
>>> their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new Adobe
>>> Photoshop.
>>>
>>> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
>>> there a way to change them as a group?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>

>> How about this command from a Command Prompt:
>>
>> ren *.jpe *.jpg

Tell us exactly what you did and what messages you got!

"Bobby" <blh_24@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That doesn't seem to work?
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
> > have
> >> their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
Adobe
> >> Photoshop.
> >>
> >> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but
is
> >> there a way to change them as a group?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Dennis
> >>

> > How about this command from a Command Prompt:
> >
> > ren *.jpe *.jpg

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>have their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
>Adobe Photoshop.
>
> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
> there a way to change them as a group?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

You can use a freeware programme called "The Rename" at
http://www.herve-thouzard.com/

which will do a batch rename of all kind of things, very flexible, can add
counters, change text for one or several files, and will show you what it
will look like before you commit yourself to renaming. It is not new, but it
works extremely well.
Leana

Thanks,

I'll give it a try. The most difficult part of my problem is the large
number of sub folders that contain the jpe files. I don't want to do them
one by one.

Dennis

Dennis Hughes wrote:

> I'll give it a try. The most difficult part of my problem is
> the large number of sub folders that contain the jpe files. I
> don't want to do them one by one.
Hi,

1-4a Rename (from the screen shoots it looks like this ones can take
sub-folders as well):
http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

For /r %A in (.) do ren "%A\*.jpe" "*.jpg"

will rename all files in sub folders starting from the current directory.
"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:uVebDlBdFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks,
>
> I'll give it a try. The most difficult part of my problem is the large
> number of sub folders that contain the jpe files. I don't want to do them
> one by one.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Leana" <rgwaus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>>>have their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
>>>Adobe Photoshop.
>>>
>>> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
>>> there a way to change them as a group?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>

>> You can use a freeware programme called "The Rename" at
>> http://www.herve-thouzard.com/
>>
>> which will do a batch rename of all kind of things, very flexible, can add
>> counters, change text for one or several files, and will show you what it
>> will look like before you commit yourself to renaming. It is not new, but
>> it works extremely well.
>> Leana

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Thanks,
>
> I'll give it a try. The most difficult part of my problem is the large
> number of sub folders that contain the jpe files. I don't want to do them
> one by one.
>
> Dennis
>
> "Leana" <rgwaus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a large number of images in a number of folders that now need to
>>>have their extensions changed from jpe to jpg due to a quirk in the new
>>>Adobe Photoshop.
>>>
>>> I do a search on *.jpe and they all appear in the search results, but is
>>> there a way to change them as a group?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>

>> You can use a freeware programme called "The Rename" at
>> http://www.herve-thouzard.com/
>>
>> which will do a batch rename of all kind of things, very flexible, can
>> add counters, change text for one or several files, and will show you
>> what it will look like before you commit yourself to renaming. It is not
>> new, but it works extremely well.
>> Leana

"The Rename" has "find and replace" function of search and replace
extension, and it can replace one or all file extensions it finds, it is in
the edit menu, F4.
Leana