Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7-720QM v i7-620M

Last response: in Mobile Computing
April 28, 2010 5:15:51 AM

Hello,

I am out to buy a new laptop from Dell but am somewhat perplexed on deciding between the two processors.
I am often using video editting software, so I can see the benefits of using the 720 model.
However I also would be using the laptop for university and having longer battery life / less heat is a big bonus for me to consider.

What I find odd though that Dell is charging an extra $100 for the 620M processor, so I am wondering if its worth it?

From the Intel website its stated that 620M has Thermal Monitoring Technology, what is the real benefit for this?
And is it feasible to increase battery life with a 720QM by turning off the usage of those processors?

Thanks.

More about : intel 720qm 620m

a c 244 D Laptop
April 28, 2010 7:25:51 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Its worth the $100 because you get 2 extra cores and there are some apps/games which benefit from a quad core CPU/
The only advantage that 620M has is that it runs cooler
April 28, 2010 7:52:58 AM

Hey, thanks :p 

Actually its the other way around... the 720QM is $100 cheaper.
I dont know the reason why, but this is what Dell has.

Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor (2.66GHz, 4 Threads, turbo boost up to 3.33GHz, 4M cache) [add $100.10 or $1/week-1]
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache) [Included in Price]

So im definitely more inclined for the latter, just when you say runs cooler how much cooler? (Arbitrary I know), and do you have any idea of the difference in battery life?
Related resources
a c 244 D Laptop
April 28, 2010 8:45:47 AM

oops sorry :D  its strange that 720QM is chaper.
Well what's the notebooks model (i want to know because of battery life and heat)
April 28, 2010 9:02:17 AM

Studio 15:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM
15.6 " 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife™
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB
Dell Wireless 5540 HSPA Mini Card(AU)
Dell(TM) Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module
Dell(TM) Keyboard with Touchpad (English)
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Specs if needed.

Edit:

Im a bit picky on the heat thing because my current laptop (inspiron 6400) has over its 3+ years of existance has melted off a lot text from the underside of the laptop, and the Windows XP Sticker is a nice crisp brown that is shrinking over time (lol).
a c 244 D Laptop
April 28, 2010 10:21:05 AM

Go for 620M instead in this case because getting the 720 will give you much more heat especially when its a 15" laptop
However if you mostly use it on your desk,you will be OK with 720
April 29, 2010 3:18:16 AM

Will the heat/sound generally always be excessive?
I am able to understand that under full use conditions of both that the 720 will be using a lot more power.

Generally I would have the laptop on my lap (go figure) during university classes, mostly only accessing web pages and a word processer.
a c 244 D Laptop
April 29, 2010 7:22:13 AM

For those tasks you will be fine with the 620M,it will give you more battery life too
May 4, 2010 4:56:37 AM

Remember though that the 720 will go single core/thread and detune when not doing strenuous tasks, and is much more energy efficient than in the past. I haven't seen a comparison of the two over the course of non-strenuous tasks, but it would stand to reason that the 1GHz lower state would help, along with the typical speed-step stuff.

Personally I would not bother with the 620, and I would be willing to throw my money at an 820QM (which on many DELLs is also $100 more than the 720) for the better Cache and higher memory speed support.

The lower process node of the 620 is nice, but I'd want the capabilities of the more robust CPUs for longer term use. And the heat issue shouldn't be a problem unless it's not getting sufficient cooling (I would recommend a laptop stand in any case, which would help). Also if you're worried about scorching other items, then the 620M would likely be more risky since it's TJUNCTION temp is higher and therefor would heat up to a higher point than the other before throttling. Although you would have a better view with on die monitoring.
a c 244 D Laptop
May 4, 2010 6:42:42 AM

So actually 620M runs very hot too ?
Because for example,in new MBP's' if you go with i7 it will even go up to something like 100c whereas with i5's its lower,so that's because of the design of MBP ?
May 5, 2010 1:43:54 AM

Well it still depends on the load but the TJUNCTION number is the temperature point that the CPU will throttle it's performance (to save itself from potential damage) and the 620M has a higher set point than the 720/820, which doesn't mean it will be hotter for the same work, but when heating up, the other will stop and reduce performance to control heat at 100C and the 620 will throttle @ 105C so technically if the concern is heating other parts that might be a consideration if extended CPU maximization is a concern.
a c 244 D Laptop
May 5, 2010 7:20:15 AM

I see,thanks for the info :) 
May 16, 2010 6:54:32 PM

I just returned my Dell Studio 1557 with Core i7-720QM for a replacement Studio 1558 with Core i7-620M. Here's what I found:

The Core i7-720QM sits around 50-60 degC and draws 15W at idle
The Core i7-620M sits around 45-50 degC and draws 6W at idle

The Core i7-720QM maxed out at 88 degC and up to 55W under full load
The Core i7-620M maxed out at 80 degC and up to 28W under full load

All figures from CPUID Hardware Monitor.

I find the Core i7-620M much cooler and a lot more stable than the 720QM and faster in day to day use. The majority of programs are still optimised for dual core, even video editing software and filters with only a few video filters being optimised for quad core. I really notice the extra GHz in the dual core i7-620M.

I would only buy the quad core if you have a specifically quad core optimised program that you need to run, but you will pay for it with battery life and heat.
Really the Core i7-620M runs a lot cooler and will last longer. I'm really happy with it.

a c 244 D Laptop
May 17, 2010 7:18:44 AM

Well for me,it was actually vice-versa,in Photoshop i gained a significant boost with quad core CPU.
It depends on the works you do,but i agree that there are still many apps that aren't optimized for Quad Cores.
The most important thing is to get the performance in what you do,which you now get with the 620M,which is great :)  i hope you enjoy it
May 17, 2010 4:27:17 PM

Cheers,

Check out what lackofcheese says in this post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

Quote; "The i7-720QM does 1.733GHz on 4 cores, and 2.4GHz on two, while the i7-620M does 3.067GHz on 2 cores. This means that the i7-720QM is 22% slower on 2 cores, but on 4 it offers the potential for only 13% more raw power. "

Along with the much lower heat output and lower power usage, these figures helped me to make my decision on getting the 620M. You should read the full post above because it goes into more detail and is really good.

May 17, 2010 11:46:54 PM

Yeah I'm not surprised that they would result in the power and heat you found, but the performance results are obviously the not optimised scenario where not all threads are being used, which is rare for modern video editing apps, but it really requires going into tweaking to maximize the usage.

Also remember that the temperature reading on the 720M chip are actually a guesstimating based on an external diode whereas the 620m is on the in-die sensor, so their accuracy is a little different since the 620M is on die (actual temp) and the 720M is on package with a constant to calculate temp based on the reading off the package/socket and what they think that interprets, so it's always seen as X+10c or some other constant, and it may be that guesstimation that is the factor, not the temps. And over time likely the package and the socket will reach a similar temp to the die if not heavily stressed, and then you get 45c external +10 (showing 55c) - vs - actual 48c on die. Anywhoo, main thing I guess is if the exhaust seems cooler to you.

I still wouldn't pay $100 more for the 620M when the 820M is the same price and has the same dual core freq cap @ 3.06Ghz, but has the advantage of 8 threads and 4 cores, more cache and faster memory support (still usually mainboard restricted).

The 620M may be better for current light lifting, but nowhere near as forward looking, although power/heat will be lower on avg. Like I said above, for any truly heavy lifting tasks with video editing I would go the Q820M with that $100.

As for that thread, 90+% of the people in it don't know what the FAQ they're talking about with this and that option "smoking" the other one. It's obvious that few of them actually understand the discussion fully, especially when they keep pointing to Notebookcheck as a source (like only pointing to 3Dmark when discussing GPUs :sarcastic:  ).

But if you're happy with it, and those were your only two options, then that's all that matters, especially the "if you're happy with it" part.
May 18, 2010 5:04:26 AM

hi there
sorry to jump in
i dont understand all of the variables but here is my situation.
i am getting a replacement laptop from dell

alienware 17 inch laptop. have been offered the 620m with 4 of memory
i figure i can make an argument for an upgrade, i dont know however what i should try to upgrade. i am interesting in haveing the computer last for years basically. no i wont be doing video editing really or any other major thing like that, not even that sure what that is. i might play the odd game though....

is it just better to get the 720m. i would likely be doing multi-tasking

thanks for your time and patience given my ignorance

kim
May 18, 2010 5:08:16 AM

btw, here are the full specs

Alienware M17x: Space Black - Anodized Aluminum
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Display Panels: 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
Hard Drive: 250GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
Video Card: 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5870
CD ROM/DVD ROM: Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

i just want a really reallly good long term reliable computer.
May 18, 2010 6:00:58 AM

For just basic multi-tasking like not wanting a major slow-down when Anti-virus kicks in the 620M would be great 2 cores 4 threads should be enough for general day to day, and most gaming wouldn't benefit from more.

Truly it's video editing and other heavy lifting that are worth it, even in the long term 4 cores and 8 threads is not going to give you much benefit except maybe in some gaming (like RTS and physics titles) and by the time that happens it'll likely be preferential to newer architectures.
May 18, 2010 6:21:29 AM

thanks a lot for your reply !!!!

honestly i can see myself multi-tasking, day to day stuff, business stuff so a few programs open at the same time while burning DVD or watching something on an external monitor. i may try a few games in my old age.......

its hard to know waht to pick re 620 re 720. some say that for normal use the 620 will in fact be faster, less hot and best for the battery. did I get this right ? I should consider that the 620 has a higher clock speed and I likely dont need the quad core...?

again I just want a very fast long term computer

is there anything from the specs I posted that you could suggest I get and upgrade for ? I am pretty sure they will give me one upgrade.

other possibilites might be
-a raid or solid state HD ( though not sure what that is exactly),
-more memory (but do I need it anyways or is it better long term to get it)..,
- a different video card (dual 1 GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in Crossfire X), or
-different wireless card ( Intel Ultimate N WiFi link 630 a/g/n 3x3 Mimo technology)

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP !!!!
May 19, 2010 6:44:35 AM

Looks pretty good, and IMO stick to a single GPU, Xfire/SLi is usually a pain IMO and especially in the laptop space. I know Maziar might disagree based on his setup, but I prefer a dang good single card for a laptop and the HD5870 is nice (essentially a mobilized HD5770 desktop GPU).

Solid-state Drives are great, as you can tell I like them, but I recommend buying them after the fact. A nice X25M primary is a nice inexpensive way to get great quality and performance. Others are entering the market recently with 'acceptable' performance, but they are a little spotty in comparison IMO, with intel's only issue being big file transfers (which IMO is more for a dump drive than a primary which is all about application speeds and access & I/O speeds

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-flash-trim,2593...

Wireless doesn't matter much unless you are using it as a media station. But if it's the typical $20 premium, then yeah get it especially for MIMO and the dual frequency support.
May 19, 2010 12:28:22 PM

thanks so much for your time and help !!! :hello: 
May 20, 2010 6:41:40 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Yeah I'm not surprised that they would result in the power and heat you found, but the performance results are obviously the not optimised scenario where not all threads are being used, which is rare for modern video editing apps, but it really requires going into tweaking to maximize the usage.

Also remember that the temperature reading on the 720M chip are actually a guesstimating based on an external diode whereas the 620m is on the in-die sensor, so their accuracy is a little different since the 620M is on die (actual temp) and the 720M is on package with a constant to calculate temp based on the reading off the package/socket and what they think that interprets, so it's always seen as X+10c or some other constant, and it may be that guesstimation that is the factor, not the temps. And over time likely the package and the socket will reach a similar temp to the die if not heavily stressed, and then you get 45c external +10 (showing 55c) - vs - actual 48c on die. Anywhoo, main thing I guess is if the exhaust seems cooler to you.

I still wouldn't pay $100 more for the 620M when the 820M is the same price and has the same dual core freq cap @ 3.06Ghz, but has the advantage of 8 threads and 4 cores, more cache and faster memory support (still usually mainboard restricted).

The 620M may be better for current light lifting, but nowhere near as forward looking, although power/heat will be lower on avg. Like I said above, for any truly heavy lifting tasks with video editing I would go the Q820M with that $100.

??????? Jibber Jabber

As for that thread, 90+% of the people in it don't know what the FAQ they're talking about with this and that option "smoking" the other one. It's obvious that few of them actually understand the discussion fully, especially when they keep pointing to Notebookcheck as a source (like only pointing to 3Dmark when discussing GPUs :sarcastic:  ).

But if you're happy with it, and those were your only two options, then that's all that matters, especially the "if you're happy with it" part.

May 21, 2010 4:52:21 AM

Hi there. Thanks again for the help. I am including the final configuration below. The blue Ray was added by them (though I worry if it will be hard on the system to use- I usually burn a lot of movies ), they upgraded the wireless card. I hope this is all ok. :p 

M17x10 - Black Metallic
1 Slot-Loading Blu-ray Burner
1 AlienFX Color, Terra Green
1 5.1 Channel Audio
1 Intel Core i7 620M 2.66 GHz-3.33GHz TM
1 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz,ANWNB
1 17, WUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED,1200p,ANB
1 ATI RADEON, 5870,XT,MLK, ANWNB
1 NAME PLATE ENGRAVING
1 THANK YOU FOR PURCHASING ALIENWARE
1 Personalized Nameplate Trigger,AWNB
1 AUTO-UPDATES,ON, AW
1 Alienware M17x 150W A/C Adapter
1 250GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD,ANWNB
1 ADOBE READER 9.0,MLANG,I/S/X NB
1 PC-RESTORE, DIM/INSP
1 DATASAFE LOCAL BACKUP 2.0 BASIC
1 CyberLink PowerDVD SW, ANWNB
1 Nero Media Burning SW, ANWNB
1 World of Warcraft Edition
1 Steam with Portal
1 WIN 7 HOME PREM, 64, ENG,AW NB
1 Alien Cyborg $0.00
1 Alienware Command Center, M17x,ANWNB
1 AlienGUIse + Breed Theme
1 BLUETOOTH 2.1
1 Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n
a c 244 D Laptop
May 21, 2010 9:05:12 PM

that looks a killer config,i hope you enjoy it :) 
May 21, 2010 9:07:58 PM

Maziar said:
that looks a killer config,i hope you enjoy it :) 

thanks a lot Mazier. Do you think its ok to use a blue ray burner in a laptop ? A store told me its better to have an external drive and that 4 GB memory wont be enough.. also the laptop will overheat :whistle: 
maybe they just wanted me to buy one......
May 21, 2010 9:59:22 PM

4GB is enough for most things that aren't doing video editing, where even 12GB can sometimes not be 'enough to work optimally'.

As for the internal vs external BR, well I have an external BR-drive I love mine, and when I travel I can even rip alot of movies to HDD for portability so I prefer my external drive, especially since I used to be able to take it to my girlfriend's and use it on her HP, but now that she has a Mac, no more. However, external BluRay drives are usually more expensive than the bundled internal drive, so it depends on pricing too. Also if you use Lightscribe alot it's nice to not use your expensive drive just to label disks or burn standard DVDs & CDs.

But it just depends on how you want to do it, there's no real advantage to an external drive other than you can move it to another PC and if this is a long term build and your primary/only PC, then that's not really a major issue.
May 21, 2010 10:27:54 PM

OK I have to think about all of this. It will be my primary PC. I do turn out probably 20 regular DVDs for people a week easily. I dont want to tax this brand new system.
May 23, 2010 7:52:32 PM

Then you could always do an internal BR and then external $40 DVD-burner with Lightscribe for your copies/labeling, I was tempted for a while to do that just to save the internal DVD drive even (just more hassle to replace an internal drive, but it's lasted so far).
May 23, 2010 7:59:32 PM

Yes this is a good idea. I will do this. Btw, you guys are great !. thanks for all of your help :p 
May 28, 2010 1:02:57 AM

Hey all,

Alienware are having a $300 off sale on the m17x as long you get at least a quad core and 8gb memory (so basically 8gb of memory for the price of 4gb). I'm considering:

i7 720qm (820qm + $300 and 920xm + $900)
dual ati 5870m 1GB with crossfire
8 gb ram 1333hz
250gb regular hard drive
Wirelass 1520 half-mini card (intel ultimate n wifi link 6300 + $60)
900p resolution (1200p + $200)

I'm sick of having to buy a new laptop everytime a new Totalwar or civilization comes out and my real issue is the chip worth the extra money?will it give me longevity? and which one?
And is it worth $60 for the wirelesscard?
Any other suggestions for this gaming system?

Thanks
June 1, 2010 4:26:29 AM

I got the 720 model. And I see that it is better.
!