Grim fandango and 16 bit windows subsystems...

I'm trying to install said game on a friend's pc running xp. I've run it
before on another xp system but this is quite a strange error message the
pops up when I try to run the setup program:
Title: 16 bit Windows Subsystem
Body: C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows application. Choose 'Close' to terminate
the application.

It then offers two buttons: Close or Ignore. Ignore just means the program
feezes and closes anyway.

What can I do?
2 answers Last reply
More about grim fandango windows subsystems

    Copy autoexec.nt from C:\Windows\repair to c:\windows\system32

    Also, scan the computer for viruses.

    Iain B wrote:
    > I'm trying to install said game on a friend's pc running xp. I've run
    it
    > before on another xp system but this is quite a strange error message
    the
    > pops up when I try to run the setup program:
    > Title: 16 bit Windows Subsystem
    > Body: C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not
    suitable for
    > running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows application. Choose 'Close' to
    terminate
    > the application.
    >
    > It then offers two buttons: Close or Ignore. Ignore just means the
    program
    > feezes and closes anyway.
    >
    > What can I do?

    Hi Iain,

    You can solve that problem by replacing the file:

    Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Otherwise...

    1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

    2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

    * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Iain B" <Iain B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5249FEC7-AC83-40C7-9DB2-229AC3CDD336@microsoft.com...
    | I'm trying to install said game on a friend's pc running xp. I've run it
    | before on another xp system but this is quite a strange error message the
    | pops up when I try to run the setup program:
    | Title: 16 bit Windows Subsystem
    | Body: C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    | running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows application. Choose 'Close' to terminate
    | the application.
    |
    | It then offers two buttons: Close or Ignore. Ignore just means the program
    | feezes and closes anyway.
    |
    | What can I do?

Games Microsoft Windows XP Video Games