Can someone help please, basestation untility won't recogn..

Last response: in Networking
June 24, 2004 11:45:05 PM

Hi I hope someone can help me please. I recently found
out that my neighbor hacked into my system even though I
had the security WEP set up for the strongest possible.
Microsoft has changed my settings for me to help prevent
this from occuring again but I just noticed that my
broadband Network utility for both of my computers isn't
listing the connected PC's in the Connected Network
Devices section on the side of my utility. I'm hoping
that if I can get them to list ALL PC's that are connected
I will be able to notice if my neighbor tries to hack into
my PCs again. How do I get the utility to list these
again? I have tried to refresh this list several times
without luck. I have the wirelessg basestation and the
510 adapter.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 3:54:19 AM

Hi everyone hafter more than 3 hours on line with Tech
Sup. I figured it out myself. So if you are having
trouble with yours heres an easy fix. After trying
various ways to get the PCs in my home to list in the
utility and ALL failing I removed the hardware from my
device manager and removed the software from the PC with
the wireless connection in my case model MN510. I
reinstalled the software using the 1st option to also set
up a product. The first time I was asked to set up file
sharing I declined. That failed so I
uninstalledeverything and reinstalled again this time
setting up for file sharing. I guess it had something to
do with the fact the PC I was working with is operating
Windows ME. Once the system restarted It asked if I
wanted to sset up for the file sharing or retaining my
current settings I chose to retain the current setting of
NO file sharing. And It worked it is now showing up in
my Basestation Manager. Also i received some really good
advice from Microsoft about my PC and wireless network
getting hacked into even though I was setup with a WEP
and had the broadband firewall running. After you have
all PC's in your home setu with networking go into your
Management tools go to Wireless and uncheck the box
beside broadcast network name. This will remove your SSID
from being public. They also had me set up my firewall
not to allow Pings from other PCs than those on my
network. After being hacked into when I thought I was
protected its better safe than sorry. You may want to
try yourselves it may or may not work for you but all of
my PCs are connected and surfing the net just fine.

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 6:59:01 AM

Removing the SSID broadcast still leaves the wireless
vulnerable. It just makes attacks a little harder -- a
special software freely available in the Internet is
needed.

To protect your network, you should change the WEP key
frequently and set MAC address filtering -- or upgrade
the base station to 802.11g that supports WPA (e.g.
MN700).

WEP in 802.11b is flawed for all vendors. This includes
the MN-500 and equipment from all other vendors. When
enough wireless data is captured, the WEP key can be
inferred, permitting an attacker to connect to a network,
or view wireless data (e.g. files exchanged between
computers, or browsing the web) without having to
actually connect to the LAN (and thus without being
noticed!).

By changing the WEP key frequently, the amount of data is
limited hopefully preventing an attacked from obtaining
the key. The MAC filtering further increases security by
preventing an attacker from connecting to the LAN, in the
event she was able to obtain enough data to get the WEP
key.

June 25, 2004 12:54:43 PM

If I could add one thing. Barb Bowman mentioned in an
article about using a "decoy" base station, as well. I
found that having a cheap 802.11b base station with an
SSID of "GAMES" and easily hacked WEP key, allows me to
log the MAC address of would-be hackers adapters. I then
can enter them into the EXCLUDE MAC ADDRESSES list of my
actual, working, MN-700 base station. One more layer...

!