marie

Hi all I'm new here and have a wee problem (I hope)

I have WinXP Pro SP2

my system is going a bit funny and I cant seem to unistall any program, for
most of them I'm getting the Wise Unistall message " Could not open
INSTALL.LOG file.

I havent unistalled some these programs previously

Also Ad-aware doesnt seem to update.

My virus software is up to date and I have done a complete scan and all is
clean, also used pcpitstop free full virus scan and that was clean.

Zone Alarm is working and up to date.

I'm at a loss now. I would be really greatful for any help or links to sort
this out, before I even have to attempt formatting this system.

I can follow instructions as long as they are not too technical...thabks again

Byte

Where are you uninstalling the programs? You should use the Control
Panel's Add or Remove Programs. Some programs have their own
uninstall which may be found under the All Programs menu.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Marie" wrote:

> Hi all I'm new here and have a wee problem (I hope)
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP2
>
> my system is going a bit funny and I cant seem to unistall any program, for
> most of them I'm getting the Wise Unistall message " Could not open
> INSTALL.LOG file.
>
> I havent unistalled some these programs previously
>
> Also Ad-aware doesnt seem to update.
>
> My virus software is up to date and I have done a complete scan and all is
> clean, also used pcpitstop free full virus scan and that was clean.
>
> Zone Alarm is working and up to date.
>
> I'm at a loss now. I would be really greatful for any help or links to sort
> this out, before I even have to attempt formatting this system.
>
> I can follow instructions as long as they are not too technical...thabks again

you have to write
on run regedit
and then search those program which in stall in your system
and also uncheck on mycomputer>properties>remote access
and also install norten antvirus 2005(veryy good)
bye
imransaleem
demonstrator
sir syed university karachi pakistan

"Marie" wrote:

> Hi all I'm new here and have a wee problem (I hope)
>
> I have WinXP Pro SP2
>
> my system is going a bit funny and I cant seem to unistall any program, for
> most of them I'm getting the Wise Unistall message " Could not open
> INSTALL.LOG file.
>
> I havent unistalled some these programs previously
>
> Also Ad-aware doesnt seem to update.
>
> My virus software is up to date and I have done a complete scan and all is
> clean, also used pcpitstop free full virus scan and that was clean.
>
> Zone Alarm is working and up to date.
>
> I'm at a loss now. I would be really greatful for any help or links to sort
> this out, before I even have to attempt formatting this system.
>
> I can follow instructions as long as they are not too technical...thabks again

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Marie, you may have just deleted some old programs, if so the reminants will
stick in the system..for ever, unless you can go in to all the regs files NOT
ADVISED. If you still have the old programs, reinstall them and then procede
with uninstall.
If that dosen't do it. The next thing I would do is do a system restore to
an older date. Then check to see if you have the INSTALL.LOG file by
uninstalling the programs.

I have found that if you can uninstall your AD Aware as I have and re-down
load it.
I do not know what Zone alarm is or pcpitstop free full virus scan . You may
have to many conflicting programs running.

For one, I would remove/uninstall all three, two then goto Grisoft.com and
get the best free virus AVG in the net. Then re download AD Aware. and you
should be pretty safe. Not knowing what zone alarm is you may have a program
compatibility thing.

Good luck
Chuck

imran saleem (imranedu@yahoo.com) wrote:

> you have to write
> on run regedit
> and then search those program which in stall in your system
> and also uncheck on mycomputer>properties>remote access
> and also install norten antvirus 2005(veryy good)
> bye
> imransaleem
> demonstrator
> sir syed university karachi pakistan

What are you demonstrating against, having to study English?

Steve

> "Marie" wrote:
>

>>Hi all I'm new here and have a wee problem (I hope)
>>
>>I have WinXP Pro SP2
>>
>>my system is going a bit funny and I cant seem to unistall any program, for
>>most of them I'm getting the Wise Unistall message " Could not open
>>INSTALL.LOG file.
>>
>>I havent unistalled some these programs previously
>>
>>Also Ad-aware doesnt seem to update.
>>
>>My virus software is up to date and I have done a complete scan and all is
>>clean, also used pcpitstop free full virus scan and that was clean.
>>
>>Zone Alarm is working and up to date.
>>
>>I'm at a loss now. I would be really greatful for any help or links to sort
>>this out, before I even have to attempt formatting this system.
>>
>>I can follow instructions as long as they are not too technical...thabks again

marie

THANKS ALL for your time to reply, I couldnt restore to any date either,
everything was just a mess, was advised to do an OS repair which notified me
that most of my files were corrupt and even the repair didnt work so ended up
doing a complete clean install everthing seems to be working so far, but this
is the first day. I'm in the middle of installing all the stuff I use.

Thanks Again :)