Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on buying laptop w/ widescreen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 4, 2008 7:18:03 PM

I'm about to upgrade to a new laptop and will buy one with a widescreen display (not much of a choice). Although this laptop has much better resolution than my current one, I'm not sure about hooking it up to my desktop LCD monitor, which is NOT a widescreen.

Will the laptop video driver offer a resolution that's proper for my desktop LCD, or will I need to buy a desktop widescreen LCD monitor to prevent a distorted picture when it's connected to the laptop? The graphics specs: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 (which I assume is fairly standard for a new Intel-based laptop).

Thanks.
a b D Laptop
April 4, 2008 7:40:33 PM

No, it should be fine with a standard aspect screen. My laptop is also a widescreen and I hooked a non WS monitor to it and was fine. Granted I have an NV card, but I doubt it would be any different with the GMA.
April 4, 2008 8:03:56 PM

No, it should be fine, your graphics card can output in a lot of different resolutions including standard 4:3 aspect. Plug in the LCD, and it should autodetect. Just right click on the desktop, and go to properties and "Setting" tab and you'll be able adjust the resolution like normal.
!