Issues when attempting to use DVI

MikeV18

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hey there, first time poster on the forums :) I usually tend to just check the reviews and the like on this site.

Anyways!

I just recently purchased a new monitor for my computer, it is an Acer 19" 1916ASD LCD monitor. It has support for DVI. I wanted to use DVI to hook up to my machine instead of the VGA. So I assume that its just plug it in and go. So thats exactly what I do. But then I get the no signal alert up on the monitor.

So I hook up the VGA cable and plug it in as well, nothing comes up again (with both plugged in at the same time). So again, I shut down the computer and then jsut plug the VGA in. It works fine this time.

Is there something you have to enable or something I need to download or install to make this work properly? I updated my graphics card driver and attempted to download a driver for the monitor but couldnt find anything.

Computer specs:

MSI 848 V Neo-P mobo
P4 2.8 GHz
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB card
SB Audigy 2 Value card

Thats pretty much the main stuff

lo there,

i do not know about your own monitor but on mine there is an input selector. if your monitor has this you will need to set it to use the dvi. the reason it probably came up no signal is because it was searching for a
vga connector. hope this solves your problem if not rifle through you gfx card software. perhaps under digital panel options.

sry vsd without knowing what monitor you have i cannot help further. however in relation to mikev18 i went out of my way and looked up the online manual for his monitor at acers site. apparently the option for his monitor can be found in the OSD bottom row, second left. it is the input selector. it might be the same with yours VSD. hope this helps

well vsd if you are still having problems and have read the maual thoroughly then there is nothing i can do. but have you plugged the dvi cable in then switched it off and then on again. failing that can you get the OSD on, if so go to the options menu and change the source to digital. plug in the vga cable to do this if necessary. hope this helps. if it does both of your problems could of been solved by reading the manuals for you monitors.