Router or Hub?

Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and hubs?

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

    yes, a router is "smart" while a hub is "dumb."

    A router has an IP address.

    some support

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    | Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and
    hubs?

    | --
    | Don
    | Vancouver, USA

    To Expand on Jim's response a bit. A router accepts an IP address from your
    ISP, and creates a network beneath it. Networked objects attached to your
    router get an IP address from the router and go through it to get on the
    network. Many routers have a simple firewall that enhances your security.
    While a hub simply creates more ports to connect to. All networked objects
    to the HUB are essentially on the ISP's network.
    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and hubs?
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA

    Thanks Jim & Jay.

    My Qwest DSL provider suggested I use a hub (got a Linksys 5 port) for my
    Actiontec GT701. It seems to be working without any problems on a home
    network, two tower computers, a printer and soon to add a wireless laptop.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Jay Hulslander" <jdh34@cornell.edu> wrote in message
    > To Expand on Jim's response a bit. A router accepts an IP address from
    > your
    > ISP, and creates a network beneath it. Networked objects attached to your
    > router get an IP address from the router and go through it to get on the
    > network. Many routers have a simple firewall that enhances your security.
    > While a hub simply creates more ports to connect to. All networked
    > objects
    > to the HUB are essentially on the ISP's network.
    > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    >> Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and hubs?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Don
    >> Vancouver, USA

    The hub will work fine, but it provides no security for the
    computers in your network. A router will allow each
    computer to run at its best speed. A router will handle a
    larger number of nodes without slowing the LAN since traffic
    is more isolated and controlled. A hubs primary advantage
    is cost, but good routers are now less than $50, still more
    than a hub, but not extremely so.

    One reason the ISP (DSL or cable might prefer you use a hub
    is that they can monitor how many computers you have
    connected to their network and raise your rates if you
    connect more computers. With a router all they see is the
    router.

    | Thanks Jim & Jay.
    |
    | My Qwest DSL provider suggested I use a hub (got a Linksys
    5 port) for my
    | Actiontec GT701. It seems to be working without any
    problems on a home
    | network, two tower computers, a printer and soon to add a
    wireless laptop.

    | --
    | Don
    | Vancouver, USA
    |

    | "Jay Hulslander" <jdh34@cornell.edu> wrote in message
    | > To Expand on Jim's response a bit. A router accepts an
    IP address from
    | > your
    | > ISP, and creates a network beneath it. Networked
    objects attached to your
    | > router get an IP address from the router and go through
    it to get on the
    | > network. Many routers have a simple firewall that
    enhances your security.
    | > While a hub simply creates more ports to connect to.
    All networked
    | > objects
    | > to the HUB are essentially on the ISP's network.
    | > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in
    message
    | >> Is there a capability difference between DSL routers
    and hubs?

    | >> --
    | >> Don
    | >> Vancouver, USA

    Some DSL modems, including the Actiontec GT701, have a built in NAT router
    which enables you to share your DSL connection without having to buy an
    external router. It gives you the same security benefits and basic
    functionality as a typical home router.
    --

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and hubs?
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA

    Jim,

    A hub will rarely work fine (or at all) for Internet sharing with a DSL or
    Cable modem unless that modem has a built in router. For the standard home
    use deal, broadband providers provide one and only one external IP address
    (usually by DHCP). If a hub is connected to a non-routing broadband modem a
    variety of problems tend to occur.

    Most DSL modems these days include a built in router, and most DSL providers
    permit connection sharing at no additional cost. Cable modems generally do
    not contain built in routers, and many of the large cable companies don't
    allow connection sharing, though of course it's widely done by adding an
    unreported router.

    Router equipped DSL modems can be generally be configured to "bridge mode"
    for use with an external router. That may be if a user needs a router with
    more advanced and configurable features, but otherwise has no advantage for
    a typical home user.

    GTS

    > The hub will work fine, but it provides no security for the
    > computers in your network. A router will allow each
    > computer to run at its best speed. A router will handle a
    > larger number of nodes without slowing the LAN since traffic
    > is more isolated and controlled. A hubs primary advantage
    > is cost, but good routers are now less than $50, still more
    > than a hub, but not extremely so.
    >
    > One reason the ISP (DSL or cable might prefer you use a hub
    > is that they can monitor how many computers you have
    > connected to their network and raise your rates if you
    > connect more computers. With a router all they see is the
    > router.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > | Thanks Jim & Jay.
    > |
    > | My Qwest DSL provider suggested I use a hub (got a Linksys
    > 5 port) for my
    > | Actiontec GT701. It seems to be working without any
    > problems on a home
    > | network, two tower computers, a printer and soon to add a
    > wireless laptop.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Don
    > | Vancouver, USA
    > |

    > | "Jay Hulslander" <jdh34@cornell.edu> wrote in message
    > | > To Expand on Jim's response a bit. A router accepts an
    > IP address from
    > | > your
    > | > ISP, and creates a network beneath it. Networked
    > objects attached to your
    > | > router get an IP address from the router and go through
    > it to get on the
    > | > network. Many routers have a simple firewall that
    > enhances your security.
    > | > While a hub simply creates more ports to connect to.
    > All networked
    > | > objects
    > | > to the HUB are essentially on the ISP's network.
    > | > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in
    > message
    > and hubs?

    Actually, very few broadband routers have any type of firewall built
    in to them. They are pretty rare. Most DO have NAT built in, but
    that is a far cry from a firewall.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:53:33 -0400, "Jay Hulslander"
    <jdh34@cornell.edu> wrote:

    >To Expand on Jim's response a bit. A router accepts an IP address from your
    >ISP, and creates a network beneath it. Networked objects attached to your
    >router get an IP address from the router and go through it to get on the
    >network. Many routers have a simple firewall that enhances your security.
    >While a hub simply creates more ports to connect to. All networked objects
    >to the HUB are essentially on the ISP's network.
    >"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    >> Is there a capability difference between DSL routers and hubs?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Don
    >> Vancouver, USA

    Please explain why NAT won't work as a firewall in a router?

    Thanks,
    Tom

    In article <eksdxW6cFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    tompepper@mvps.invalid says...
    > Please explain why NAT won't work as a firewall in a router?

    Take the time to look-up how NAT works, it's a routing method, not a
    firewall inspection method.

    NAT Routers don't even always include SPI.

    NAT routers don't have rule sets or the ability to determine if port 80
    traffic is HTTP or something else - all of my firewalls do.

    NAT routers, Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc.... Are all just glorified
    NAT boxes, some have firewall like features, but that doesn't make them
    a firewall.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

Routers DSL Microsoft Windows XP