Bang Goes My Monitor

Grand_Witch

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
I double clicked on my Enemy Territory icon on my dekstop yesterday and got an unexpected result. The screen went black and there was a high pitched noise from my monitor and then the Enemey Territory music came on but the screen remained black. I had to restart my machine and then no display just black. Sometimes when In start it I get a very thin column down the centre of the screen where I can see a squashed picture.

I have reseated all card etc. Any ideas. At the moment I have no spare video card or monitor but I am going to pick one up from work to test.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
That monitor just died on you. Its not you PC or video card.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
High pitched noise usually comes from the exciter coil on your monitor. It's the thing that energizes the tube, without it you have no light, and hence, no image. These usually blow when hit by a higher than supported refresh rate, or from excess heat or age.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
i noticed that when i switch to a really high resolution it happens to. And I had my monitor display refresh rates it is capable only of. ie: i get the high pitch sound when i go 1280X1024 at 60hz.

spamming is an internet crime.

Did i just commit a crime?

iris5u

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
Actually, the fact you have any kind of picture indicates the Flyback Transformer is probably OK. What most likely died is some component in the horizontal deflection circuits. Long story short: Buy a new monitor. It's not worth fixing.

<A HREF="mailto:iris5u@attglobal.net">iris5u@attglobal.net</A>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
That seems to be the story of anything to do with computers nowadays. No such thing as fixing. :)

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717</A>
45.5k mark? 85 dollars went a long way. So did that extra 15 dollars for cooling my video card.