Mtlmnt Service Error

June 17, 2005 2:34:14 PM

About once a day I receive this error that causes my system to crash: "The
Mtlmnt service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot
find the file specified" Error ID 7000. Right now I am thinking it is a
modem that is causing this error but I do not have a modem installed on my
PC. However I did move my HD to a new system and the remainents of the old
drive is looking for modem on my new system. I was not able to find anything
online regarding this error and the MS knowledge base didnt help.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314357&Product=winxp
Any suggestions on what I am dealing with here?

More about : mtlmnt service error

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:18:12 AM

Hi Johnny,

This error is usually caused by an orphaned service entry in the registry.
The Services (and Kernel drivers) entries are present in the following
registry location. One of the sub-keys may be related to "Mtlmnt". You
should be able to identify them easily by reading the "DisplayName" and
"ImagePath" fields in the right-pane in the Registry Editor.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\]

Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor. Before
modifying/removing a Service, create a System Restore point or a complete
Registry backup, just in case something happens.

[ERUNT] Registry Backup and Restore for Windows

[ERUNT] - Direct download
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe

[Installing & Using ERUNT]
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Johnny" <jnguyen@barcodedauctions.com> wrote in message
> About once a day I receive this error that causes my system to crash: "The
> Mtlmnt service failed to start due to the following error: The system
> cannot find the file specified" Error ID 7000. Right now I am thinking it
> is a modem that is causing this error but I do not have a modem installed
> on my PC. However I did move my HD to a new system and the remainents of
> the old drive is looking for modem on my new system. I was not able to
> find anything online regarding this error and the MS knowledge base didnt
> help.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314357&Product=winxp
> Any suggestions on what I am dealing with here?

June 18, 2005 1:18:13 AM

Ramesh,

Thanks for the info you provided me. I made a backup of the registry like
you suggested. I was able to get into the registry but I have no idea what I
am suppose to be looking for.

Regards,

Johnny
> Hi Johnny,
>
> This error is usually caused by an orphaned service entry in the registry.
> The Services (and Kernel drivers) entries are present in the following
> registry location. One of the sub-keys may be related to "Mtlmnt". You
> should be able to identify them easily by reading the "DisplayName" and
> "ImagePath" fields in the right-pane in the Registry Editor.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\]
>
> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor. Before
> modifying/removing a Service, create a System Restore point or a complete
> Registry backup, just in case something happens.
>
> [ERUNT] Registry Backup and Restore for Windows
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> [ERUNT] - Direct download
> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe
>
> [Installing & Using ERUNT]
> http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
> http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>
> "Johnny" <jnguyen@barcodedauctions.com> wrote in message
>> About once a day I receive this error that causes my system to crash:
>> "The Mtlmnt service failed to start due to the following error: The
>> system cannot find the file specified" Error ID 7000. Right now I am
>> thinking it is a modem that is causing this error but I do not have a
>> modem installed on my PC. However I did move my HD to a new system and
>> the remainents of the old drive is looking for modem on my new system. I
>> was not able to find anything online regarding this error and the MS
>> knowledge base didnt help.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314357&Product=winxp
>> Any suggestions on what I am dealing with here?

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:38:13 AM

Johnny,

See if there is any entry reading "Mtlmnt" or similar. Also, you should be

!