Windows Explorer Search ignores some file types?

I selected a folder using Windows Explorer, selected the Search option, and
entered some text in the 'A word or phrase in the file:' box. The results
returned included all files containing that text, EXCEPT files with a .java
extension. If I rename those files to .txt, Windows Explorer finds the
search text.

Why does Windows Explorer ignore these file types? And are there other file
types we should be aware of that Windows Explorer will ignore? Thanks in
advance! -Fred

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Fred Exley wrote:

> I selected a folder using Windows Explorer, selected the Search option, and
> entered some text in the 'A word or phrase in the file:' box. The results
> returned included all files containing that text, EXCEPT files with a .java
> extension. If I rename those files to .txt, Windows Explorer finds the
> search text.
>
> Why does Windows Explorer ignore these file types? And are there other file
> types we should be aware of that Windows Explorer will ignore? Thanks in
> advance! -Fred

Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173

Another option is use the free search tool Agent Ransack:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/ed509ebc7ef8c5fd/fd4e952117ab93b4?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:search&rnum=8&hl=en#fd4e952117ab93b4

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Fred Exley wrote:
>
>> I selected a folder using Windows Explorer, selected the Search option,
>> and entered some text in the 'A word or phrase in the file:' box. The
>> results returned included all files containing that text, EXCEPT files
>> with a .java extension. If I rename those files to .txt, Windows
>> Explorer finds the search text.
>>
>> Why does Windows Explorer ignore these file types? And are there other
>> file types we should be aware of that Windows Explorer will ignore?
>> Thanks in advance! -Fred
>
> Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173
>
> Another option is use the free search tool Agent Ransack:
> http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hey thanks much! I used method 2 of the first link, and that did it:

Method 2To configure Windows XP to search all files no matter what the file
type, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP and then turn on the
Index file types with unknown extensions option.

If you use this method, Windows XP searches all file types for the text that
you specify. This can affect the performance of the search functionality. To
do this:
1. Click Start, and then click Search (or point to Search, and then
click For Files or Folders).
2. Click Change preferences, and then click With Indexing Service (for
faster local searches).
3. Click Change Indexing Service Settings (Advanced). Note that you do
not have to turn on the Index service.
4. On the toolbar, click Show/Hide Console Tree.
5. In the left pane, right-click Indexing Service on Local Machine,
and then click Properties.
6. On the Generation tab, click to select the Index files with unknown
extensions check box, and then click OK.
7. Close the Indexing Service console.

"Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/ed509ebc7ef8c5fd/fd4e952117ab93b4?q=group:microsoft.public.windowsxp.general+insubject:search&rnum=8&hl=en#fd4e952117ab93b4

Thanks, your link had some interesting alternate ways in addition to
configuring the XP Search engine, which is what I did. I still will use
egrep to double-check XP though... -Fred

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Fred Exley wrote:

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Exley wrote:
>>

>>>I selected a folder using Windows Explorer, selected the Search option,
>>>and entered some text in the 'A word or phrase in the file:' box. The
>>>results returned included all files containing that text, EXCEPT files
>>>with a .java extension. If I rename those files to .txt, Windows
>>>Explorer finds the search text.

<snip>

>>Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173
>>
>>Another option is use the free search tool Agent Ransack:
>>http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> Hey thanks much! I used method 2 of the first link, and that did it:

<snip>

You're welcome and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User