3Ghz Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HallofWebs

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hi,

I currently own a CTO (customized to order) HP Pavilion dv9000 and wonder when I can expect a 3Ghz laptop to be available on the market for the 17" models? I know this is a bit of general question, but can you give me a general time frame (6? 18? 24 months)?

In checking out HP's CTO 17" laptops, the fastest machine they offer is 2.6Ghz and though that is fast to some degree, I don't think it's worth coughing up $1800 for a 0.6Ghz jump; however if it were to be 1Ghz difference, I would consider it.

Thanks,
Shad
HP Pavilion dv9000 / 17" HD Widescreen / 2.0Ghz AMD Turion 64-X2 / 2GB / 128MB / 160GB / Bluetooth

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I wouldn't know how long it would take before one is commercially available, but some have overclocked the X7800 in the Asus G2S to 3 Ghz already. You'd have to do it yourself though, and you'd have to be lucky, and you'd better have a notebook cooler :D

I have no idea either.

One thing you should keep in mind is that you are comparing your old Turion X2 to the brand new Core2Duo series which will be leaps and bounds better. Would it be worth it? Maybe, but it depends on how much your current system is struggling with the programs you are running.

HallofWebs

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008

1. "old Turion X2"? I just bought this laptop last November.
2. What is the speed difference between the Turion 64 X2 2.0GHz chip vs. Core2Duo 2Ghz chip? Can you point me in a direction to see a comparison chart to reference?
3. Also, my computer really isn't "struggling", but POWER, man! lol (I use it for web development & graphic design)

Thanks,
Shad

1) What I meant by old is the fact that the Turion line hasn't seen an update in years. Where as the Intel line has gone from the Core Duo (merom), Core2Duo, Core2Duo (santa rosa) and now the Penryn Core2's.

2)http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/27/dual_core_notebook_cpus_explored/page11.html
Not exactly the best review, but you get the idea. The new Penryn's will be even better than the Core2's in the review.

3) Wouldn't we all like more power? lol :D

HallofWebs

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for the reply. The link was helpful.

What is the difference between "discrete vs. shared graphics"? Does it mean dedicated vs shared?

Thanks again,
shad

Yes, discrete and dedicated are one in the same. Basically meaning you get an actual card (like in a desktop) instead of something that is part of the motherboard. If you want to do anything that is graphic intensive, avoid an integrated/shared solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.