Finding the Windows Bit edition

Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
edition?
7 answers Last reply
More about finding windows edition

    "Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP
    > operating
    > system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
    > edition?

    Unless you have a 64 bit processor and bought Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition in the last month (it has only been available for that long), then
    you are running the 32 bit version of windows, either Windows XP Home
    Edition, or Windows XP Professional.

    You cannot run Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on any 32 bit processor.

    Bobby

    Start | Run | Type: winver | Click OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BBF46072-6D48-4B4F-9760-BB2CDDBB65D2@microsoft.com,
    Denzy <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Denzy <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows
    > XP
    > operating system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is
    > 32-bit or 64-bit edition?

    Almost certainly, it's 32-bit. It's highly unlikely that anyone
    would have the 64-bit version without realizing it.

    But to check, hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break.
    The Windows version is identified there.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:11:06 -0700, Denzy wrote:

    > Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
    > system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
    > edition?

    Start> Run and type winver
    Click OK.
    If you have the 64bit version installed it will be noted on the screen that
    appears.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    You are running 32 bit Windows XP unless you specifically bought 64 bit XP
    to run on a 64 bit computer..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP
    > operating
    > system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
    > edition?

    "Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
    >system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
    >edition?

    Try Control Panel|System|System Properties. It identifies the
    operating system there (mine says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002 Service Pack2"). I expect that 64-bit versions would
    identify themselves in that box.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Denzy wrote:
    > Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
    > system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
    > edition?

    If you have to ask, you're almost definitely running a 32-bit
    version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have
    noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium
    II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or whether or
    not you purchased a computer with an AMD64 CPU. There is, of course, no
    64-bit version of WinXP Home.

    Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

    To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and
    press <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state
    that you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm