Finding the Windows Bit edition

June 17, 2005 2:11:06 PM

Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
edition?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:11:07 PM

"Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP
> operating
> system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
> edition?

Unless you have a 64 bit processor and bought Windows XP Professional x64
Edition in the last month (it has only been available for that long), then
you are running the 32 bit version of windows, either Windows XP Home
Edition, or Windows XP Professional.

You cannot run Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on any 32 bit processor.

Bobby
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:37:51 PM

Start | Run | Type: winver | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BBF46072-6D48-4B4F-9760-BB2CDDBB65D2@microsoft.com,
Denzy <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP
> operating system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or
> 64-bit edition?
June 17, 2005 4:08:15 PM

In news:BBF46072-6D48-4B4F-9760-BB2CDDBB65D2@microsoft.com,
Denzy <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows
> XP
> operating system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is
> 32-bit or 64-bit edition?

Almost certainly, it's 32-bit. It's highly unlikely that anyone
would have the 64-bit version without realizing it.

But to check, hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break.
The Windows version is identified there.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:57:39 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:11:06 -0700, Denzy wrote:

> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
> system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
> edition?

Start> Run and type winver
Click OK.
If you have the 64bit version installed it will be noted on the screen that
appears.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You are running 32 bit Windows XP unless you specifically bought 64 bit XP
to run on a 64 bit computer..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP
> operating
> system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
> edition?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:34:38 PM

"Denzy" <Denzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
>system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
>edition?

Try Control Panel|System|System Properties. It identifies the
operating system there (mine says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 Service Pack2"). I expect that 64-bit versions would
identify themselves in that box.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Denzy wrote:
> Can any one tell me how to find out the bit edition of Windows XP operating
> system installed on the computer, i.e., whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit
> edition?

If you have to ask, you're almost definitely running a 32-bit
version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have
noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium
II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or whether or
not you purchased a computer with an AMD64 CPU. There is, of course, no
64-bit version of WinXP Home.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and
press <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state
that you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm