New Olympus article - truth or untruth?

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have just read the brief article regarding the new Olympus (20Da) that offers live preview:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/27/olympus_evolt_slr_livepreview/index.html
My question is whether their statement of this being the first live preview dSLR available is actually true? I was under the impression that the Fuji S3 pro also offered this capability and this has been out for several months.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or have I been fooled by inaccurate reviews of the Fuji on other sites?

G

Does it really matter? If you want to do really good shots you'll have to stick to the viewfinder anyway...

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yes it does a lot for our purposes. We currently use a Nikon D100 attached to a Nikon brand microscope and use the camera to take digital images through the scope camera socket. However, our scope and camera are not parfocal, hence what we see through the eyepiece is not totally focussed on the camera. Consequently, we have to stand on a box to see through the camera eyepiece to focus when taking images. Hence, if a Nikon F2 mount compatible camera can offer us live preview and focussing then that is very enticing for us. I know what you are getting at in terms of typical use but as you can see our needs are quite specific.

G

Ok I see. That is something else of course. But I guess the LCD preview is not very exact when it comes to focusing. An alternative would be an angled viewfinder, which would have two advantages: You could see the actual viewfield (which is always a little smaller with the standard viewfinder), and since these mounts use a 90 degree angle you wouldn't have to use a chair or something to look through it. (I know the problematic from my own experience; I work in a biology lab...)