Wi Fi card for T3 and z72 to ship in September?

August 20, 2004 8:24:04 AM

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7053

Gee, we are finally going to get a wifi card!!!

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

What do people think will be your most common activities on your T3
utilizing the card? I'm curious. Will it be internet surfing?

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> wrote in message
> http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7053
>
> Gee, we are finally going to get a wifi card!!!
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
> http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:04:45 PM

In article <pdqdncUO0fOrULjcRVn-vg@comcast.com>, larrylook
<URL:mailto:LarryLOOK@noemail.com> wrote:

> What do people think will be your most common activities on your T3
> utilizing the card? I'm curious. Will it be internet surfing?

What are you referring to?

See if this helps: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

August 20, 2004 6:04:46 PM

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) rose quietly and spake the following:

> In article <pdqdncUO0fOrULjcRVn-vg@comcast.com>, larrylook
> <URL:mailto:LarryLOOK@noemail.com> wrote:
>
>> What do people think will be your most common activities on your T3
>> utilizing the card? I'm curious. Will it be internet surfing?
>
> What are you referring to?
>
> See if this helps: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Why? I didn't have any problems understand to what he was referring.

And who appointed you hall monitor?

--
Derek

"There is a proverb. "As you have made your bed, so you must lie in it, "
which is simply a lie. If I have made my bed uncomfortable, please God, I
will make it again." -- G.K. Chesterson
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:22:45 PM

"larrylook" <LarryLOOK@noemail.com> wrote in message
news:p dqdncUO0fOrULjcRVn-vg@comcast.com...

> What do people think will be your most common activities on your T3
> utilizing the card? I'm curious. Will it be internet surfing?

Surfing the net will be up on the list.

However, #1 likely will be using email. With the growing number of hot
spots, wifi is quite popular, and thus I will be able to check/use my email
without having to have a notebook with me.

It is VERY common that most with high speed net at home now have a wifi
box/router (I have a 811 g at home). So, at home, my pda will be able to
browse web, or check if I have any new emails (at that point, I might go
find my computer, or notebook...but at least with the pda, I can stick
around the family, and not be a hermit stuck to a computer.

Without question, using Bluetooth to my cell phone to surf the net, and
check email WOULD have taken off, but the cell phones companies attitudes
and HUGE HIGH PRICING have left most of use with no choice, but to NOT use
our cell phones as a web access device for our palm pda. For example, to get
data connection for my cell phone, I have to pay $15 for every meg
downloaded (that means ONE email with a 1 meg attachment - say a funny video
will cost me $15 to receive. Can you imagine my bill for just receiving
emails, let alone browsing on the web (even on a small device like the
palm...it is easy to browse 1 meg worth of screens in a short time).

It is kind of laughable that the phone companies wonder why products like
the RIM blackberry take off - hint: it is called reasonable pricing for use
of the net, and also the fact that RIM lets one keep their old email
address...and not HAVE TO sign up for a new internet ID, and net plan like
the cell phone companies do.

Basically what this means is that the phone companies COULD HAVE HAD
millions of data subscribers using their cell phones as a access port to the
web for their notebooks or pda (all they had to do is simply charge air
time...after all, that is their business, and they make money when they sell
air time. However, the phone companies got far too greedy, and did not
realize that they priced their data services right out of the market place.
Now most consumers don't even consider using their cell phones for a web
portal since the cost is too high.

As side note, cell phone companies are now pushing PHOTO cell phones at your
for such a low cost. The trick here is that the providers want you to sign
up for the internet plan that you HAVE to purchase to send photos! (of
course..they spent all that money for internet on phones...and no one is
using it!...so now, they are trying to hook customers with picture
phones...and a cost attached to EACH picture you send!!). So, once again, no
one is going to use their cell phone to email photos, because it is too
costly. I have NEVER received a photo from anyone who has a cell phone with
a camera...have you? (and, I bet when you do...it will be during the first 3
month "free" interphone messaging that you get...after that..you an't going
to pay to send pictures!).

So, the only reasonable cost approach left to surf the web, or get email on
our pda will be using wifi. We might even pay a bit to do this surfing at
starbucks, or while at the Seattle air port (both of which charge to use
wifi). Interesting, at my air port in Edmonton, high speed wireless is free.
And, the number of free spots is growing.

Just wait until some little office shop at Seattle gives away free wifi, and
guess we will all sit at when at the Seattle air port?

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:46:36 PM

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" <me8@privacy.net> wrote in message

> What are you referring to?
>
> See if this helps: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

It possible that you don't know how to use a threaded newsgroup reader.
Further, most of that article refers to HOW you should quote, but not that
you MUST QUOTE (there is a big difference between these two issues...and you
don't seem to have the ability to distinguish between the two issues).

It is correct that due to the way messages travel, often you might see some
of the messages appear "before" previous posts in the thread, but this is
generally very minor.

It is not clear if you don't know how to use a threaded newsgroup reader, or
you can't afford one, or it is simply beyond your abilities in computers to
understand this difference, and view messages in a threaded fashion.

So, while it can help to quote some of the previous message, as users figure
out how to use a threaded newsgroup reader, then this is really a non issue.

As mentioned, that link you gave states how to quote...not that you MUST!

If that user had posted a "new" message, and it was not threaded to mine,
then I am well in agreement that some quoting must be done (but, really, why
talk about quoting when the *real* problem is the message is not threaded).

In fact, today, one can, and should assume a threaded reader. It is rather
silly to quote parts of a message over and over.

I can well understand that some people are far to lazy to read messages in a
thread to understand the conversation, but then again, if people are too
lazy to read and follow this thread, then I don't have any respect for their
time either!

So, sure , I understand you were trying to help here, and you intentions are
good..but keep in mind the difference between HOW to quote and MUST you
quote....

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:09:28 PM

Too little too late, IMHO.

Doesn't work with the Tungsten T, protrudes, takes up a slot with no
extra ram.

Why can't they bring out a model with BT and Wifi Built in?

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:24:04 GMT, "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> wrote:

>http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7053
>
>Gee, we are finally going to get a wifi card!!!
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:35:17 PM

"A User" <serge-news21927@mailblocks.com> wrote in message

> Too little too late, IMHO.

Boy...it is very very very late......I have to agree!

> Doesn't work with the Tungsten T, protrudes, takes up a slot with no
> extra ram.

I think for those older models, you might as upgrade to a new model with
both wifi and Bluetooth built in.
(they need later OS stuff and more ram anyway)

It is too much to start adding two fairly complex systems to a product that
did not have it in the first place, plus lack of ram, and lack of later OS
makes the cost/benefits of upgrading a existing model not very good. Just
like a computer, you might add a bit of ram, but then you need more hard
disk, a new OS and better display/graphics..then it makes sense to upgrade
to a complete new PC. I kind of think this way for pda's also.

You can get products on the market with both, and they are also VERY slick,
and very small.
(the HP 4151 (I might have that number wrong) is VERY good looking, very
small, and has both bt+wifi)...but not palm platform)

For t72, and me a t3 user, this does give us wifi. About the only problem I
can see is no ram (the protruding I can live with).

For me...without this card coming out...I likely would purchased that HP
product to get wifi (I had a T3 for 1 year now, and expected the wifi card
in about 1 month after purchasing the product!!)

In other words...this sd wifi card will just hold me from jumping ship to
the PPC platform.

If I am going to purchase a new unit with bt+wifi built in, it may, or may
not be a palm, but right now I got a good unit...and adding wifi will help
me keep that unit for a longer period of time...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Microsoft Access MVP)
!