A good 1920x1200 LCD display?

DustinG

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'm looking for a real good widescreen LCD display which supports resolutions equal to or greater than 1920x1200. Of course the best seems to be the 30' Apple Cinima Display. 'Course this is a bit pricey so I'm looking for the next best thing. I've found a SAMSUNG 244t display which looks good though I really can't find a review of it anywhere. Anyone have this monitor?

What other reconmendations would you make? What's the best value vs quality?

And what do most of you think of widescreen displays anyhow? They never seem as popular on PCs as I'd expect. I think the 5x4 and 4x3 ratios are outdated and widescreen is the way to go. Yet I see so many 5x4 or 4x3 ratio monitors still.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I'm very interested in the Dell 2405fpw monitor. I want to use it for a Tv as well as for computing. My only concern is for gaming and such, the 12ms response time has me a bit worried. I've only heard good things about this monitor and the response time doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Is that the experiance everyone who has the monitor is having? Or are they ANY ghosting at all? I'm almost thinking about getting the:

Acer AL2416wd (6ms response time)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009061

Thanks!

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I believe you, I just wanna be 100% on this before I put down the $ to buy it.
I'd imagine if there was ghosting the 50+ comments i've read on the thing would be there. Thanks for the info!

richardg3

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I too have been searching for a good 24" LCD for while now and was thinking about the Dell ... then I read this about the SM244T which led me to this review. I have no idea why Toms never reviewed it in their latest widescreen LCD test since it seems to me to be the best on the market and fastest with a 6ms g2g .... and made by one of the market leaders - Samsung. It also supports HDCP (which Vista requires).

My intention is to hook it up to a PC for DVD's and gaming and to also hook in a Sky digibox (in HD when available) for TV viewing. Looks like it's worth the extra $ to me...

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I too am torn between the Dell display and the Acer. From what I can gather, both are excellent displays. Right now they are evenly priced, so I can't use that as a final decision point. Anyone care to offer more input?

Fritz

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
It is a tough choice with the Dell having some extra ports like s-video but the 12ms refresh is kinda bad, i'm sure its not that bad, but when you compare it to the acer having a refresh of 6ms...not a hard choice.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
6 ms ... mmmmm

Right now that does appear to be the major benefit of the Acer, especially since this is for a gaming rig. Though all the replies indicate no ghosting with the Dell.

Why do these deisions have to be so hard? :D

Fritz

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I guess what it's going to come down to is this:

Dell2405FPW
12 ms response time
9in1 card reader
4 port usb
pixel patch .27mm
16.7 million colors (24-bit)
s-video/dvi/vga

$830
---------------------
Acer AL2416Wd
6 ms response time
pixel patch .27mm
16.7 million colors (24-bit)
dvi/vga

$876

I'm personally i'm leaning towards the acer because of the response time, but I do like the s-vide and the 4 port usb on the dell.

the guy needing the monitor should also consider if he will need the connectivity of the dell, i would also remember with latency to add a few ms. the THG review of the dell said it had a specified response time of 20ms, however dells site says its 16 and the guy below says 12ms so take your pick. either way in the review it still fluctuates. in the review another acer also displayed a higher than specifed latency. judging by some reviews of both, the dell also has more position adjustments.

its a tough choice but i would advise you try to find a direct comparison between the two or bite the bullet and go with your gut.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, from everything I've read so far, it appears that a few people have seen very slight ghosting with the Dell, but these are by far very few and far-between. I love the fact that the Acer is a little faster, but the features of the Dell are just too good to pass up.

Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

Doh!

Fritz

ownage316

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I too have been searching for a good 24" LCD for while now and was thinking about the Dell ... then I read this about the SM244T which led me to this review. I have no idea why Toms never reviewed it in their latest widescreen LCD test since it seems to me to be the best on the market and fastest with a 6ms g2g .... and made by one of the market leaders - Samsung. It also supports HDCP (which Vista requires).

My intention is to hook it up to a PC for DVD's and gaming and to also hook in a Sky digibox (in HD when available) for TV viewing. Looks like it's worth the extra $ to me...

amazing monitor i just sold my dell dell2405fpw, simply the colour/response time was 2 superior, i recomend the 244T to anyone and everyone. also if u got extra cash i suggest u leave hd gaming to a hd tv like the sony qualia 005. god bless leds.

falcon1209

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004
Now when you say the color and refresh was too superior you mean the Samsung correct? I was looking into that monitor, but couldnt decide between the Dell and Samsung. Is the Samsung great for gaming?

ownage316

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ya sry about that i meant the samsung sm244t. it has lil no ghosting and no dragging.now the refresh rate is still 60hz. just that the response gtg is 6 real great for gamming and pretty good for movies (i mainly use my hdtv for movies). and i plan on gettign a sony qualia 005 for around 10k-20k gotta love a 1080p led hdtv http://www.qualia.sony.us/qualia_main.cgi but again gaming isnt really fun on 1920*1200 as u cant have all the bells and wistles on with that res even with the most powerful consumer based computer (based upon my fav games cs:s/bf2) but none the less playing on a monitor that's 22"s+ regardless of ur game settings is still a great view. like i tell everyone ignore but take into count peoples opinions and reviews but still check out the monitor for urself cause ur eyes might like a sony or acer over a samsung or u might want a viewsonic, heck u might just hate all lcds decide to stick with a crt and wait for led lcds; numbers dont mean everything, its really a personal choice but whatever the decision im sure u'll be happy with the monitor just make sure where ever u buy it that theres a good return policy ^_^. also keep in mind no lcd is perfect!

RichPLS

Champion
I play at full res at max quality... and seems very fluid like to me...
Of course, I have a X1800XT and a Opteron 175 that assists a bit.
Enough to get 4580 in 3Dmark06

ownage316

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
the crosshair (expand and closing) in css is proportional to ur fps below 60fps (constant) will result in a crosshair thta doesnt close fast enough to my liking. also i turn off aa and use 2xaf plus i cant use a number of console commands which make the game look better, its still smooth but i'd like a faster crosshair that 1280*1024 res perforamnce used to give me. but i cant wait till faster cpu's and gpu's come out that can really start to push games into high hd res with good constant fps's.

ownage316

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
1 bfg 7800gtx(256)
amd fx-55 (not oc'd)
asus a8n-sli
2gigs corsair twin x3500llpro

not the best comp but i first was gaming on a 17" monitor than went up lol. i plan on updating around 2007, and since i dotn want to void my cpu's warantee i dont plan on ocing it.