Missing taskbar and desktop icons

Hello all,

I start my pc and when I reach the desktop, I just see a black screen with
the mouse pointer appearing. The taskbar and the desktop icons (in both safe
mode and normal) mode are missing.

When I try to have new task 'explorer.exe', it says that 'can't find
explorer.exe'

I surfed the net for solutions but it seems that I need to reinstall or
repair windows. Is there any other solutions?

Thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about missing taskbar desktop icons

    Hello Max.
    I have not experienced this in XP before, so I can only tell you two things
    I might try if it did.
    First try chkdsk to scan and fix any of its findings. To do so, type chkdsk
    /f in the run command in the Start popup menu. Depending on disk size and
    number of files, it can take a long time. Approx 7GB may be 10 - 15 mins.
    Second try a system restore point.
    Other than these two, I can't think of anything else at the moment.
    Kevin

    "max" <max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I start my pc and when I reach the desktop, I just see a black screen with
    > the mouse pointer appearing. The taskbar and the desktop icons (in both
    safe
    > mode and normal) mode are missing.
    >
    > When I try to have new task 'explorer.exe', it says that 'can't find
    > explorer.exe'
    >
    > I surfed the net for solutions but it seems that I need to reinstall or
    > repair windows. Is there any other solutions?
    >
    > Thank you

    Try running sfc /scannow.Have your Xp cd ready. I think explorer is a
    protected system file and it will extract from the cd. I think.

    max wrote:
    > *Hello all,
    >
    > I start my pc and when I reach the desktop, I just see a black screen
    > with
    > the mouse pointer appearing. The taskbar and the desktop icons (in
    > both safe
    > mode and normal) mode are missing.
    >
    > When I try to have new task 'explorer.exe', it says that 'can't find
    > explorer.exe'
    >
    > I surfed the net for solutions but it seems that I need to reinstall
    > or
    > repair windows. Is there any other solutions?
    >
    > Thank you *

    i had that happent o me a while ago

    if you can still run programs, i could when it happened to me, but i
    could also run explore.exe, try this

    get HijackThis, sorry, i have no link, but google it and it should come
    up

    run that program, and then look for an entry that says F2 -
    REG:system.ini: Shell= , fix this entry (chech it and click the fix
    button) and then restart your computer

    hope this helps

    --
    idontknow