dvs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to print a
list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list second-level folders
or even what files are in the top-level folders.

The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that drive and Go
to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word doc. But then I have
to edit out all the date and size info.

Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?

TIA,
DVS

From a command line, type this:

dir "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt

This will do a directory command of "C:\Program Files" (replace with your
drive" and type the results into a file called C:\folders.txt

Then open this text document and print.

You can do a lot with formatting the dir command to...i recommend adding a
/w flag to get rid of some of the other stuff and put it into columns, like
this:

dir /w "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt

Not sure what the flag would be to show only directories, but i'm sure it's
somewhere.
Type: dir /? for more flags on the dir command.

Hope this helps,
Jason Ryon
"DVS" wrote:

> I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to print a
> list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list second-level folders
> or even what files are in the top-level folders.
>
> The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that drive and Go
> to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word doc. But then I have
> to edit out all the date and size info.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?
>
> TIA,
> DVS

dvs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Thanks Jason! I'll try that when I get home.

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> From a command line, type this:
>
> dir "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>
> This will do a directory command of "C:\Program Files" (replace with your
> drive" and type the results into a file called C:\folders.txt
>
> Then open this text document and print.
>
> You can do a lot with formatting the dir command to...i recommend adding a
> /w flag to get rid of some of the other stuff and put it into columns, like
> this:
>
> dir /w "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>
> Not sure what the flag would be to show only directories, but i'm sure it's
> somewhere.
> Type: dir /? for more flags on the dir command.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jason Ryon
> "DVS" wrote:
>
> > I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to print a
> > list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list second-level folders
> > or even what files are in the top-level folders.
> >
> > The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that drive and Go
> > to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word doc. But then I have
> > to edit out all the date and size info.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?
> >
> > TIA,
> > DVS

dvs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Jason, I tried your suddestion, but it does basically the same thing as what
I was doing before. I am trying to get the list to come out without any info
but the names of folders in the drive.

Thanks anyway.

hi try Directory Printer.You can get it free at 'www.karenware.com'
--
thanks a bunch

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> From a command line, type this:
>
> dir "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>
> This will do a directory command of "C:\Program Files" (replace with your
> drive" and type the results into a file called C:\folders.txt
>
> Then open this text document and print.
>
> You can do a lot with formatting the dir command to...i recommend adding a
> /w flag to get rid of some of the other stuff and put it into columns, like
> this:
>
> dir /w "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>
> Not sure what the flag would be to show only directories, but i'm sure it's
> somewhere.
> Type: dir /? for more flags on the dir command.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jason Ryon
> "DVS" wrote:
>
> > I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to print a
> > list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list second-level folders
> > or even what files are in the top-level folders.
> >
> > The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that drive and Go
> > to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word doc. But then I have
> > to edit out all the date and size info.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?
> >
> > TIA,
> > DVS

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

DVS wrote:
> Jason, I tried your suddestion, but it does basically the same thing
> as what I was doing before. I am trying to get the list to come out
> without any info but the names of folders in the drive.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> "Jason Ryon" wrote:
>
>> From a command line, type this:
>>
>> dir "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>>
>> This will do a directory command of "C:\Program Files" (replace with
>> your drive" and type the results into a file called C:\folders.txt
>>
>> Then open this text document and print.
>>
>> You can do a lot with formatting the dir command to...i recommend
>> adding a /w flag to get rid of some of the other stuff and put it
>> into columns, like this:
>>
>> dir /w "C:\Program Files\" > C:\folders.txt
>>
>> Not sure what the flag would be to show only directories, but i'm
>> sure it's somewhere.
>> Type: dir /? for more flags on the dir command.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jason Ryon
> "DVS" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to
>>> print a list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list
>>> second-level folders or even what files are in the top-level
>>> folders.
>>>
>>> The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that
>>> drive and Go to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word
>>> doc. But then I have to edit out all the date and size info.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?

dir/a:d/b (as explained in dir/?)

DVS wrote:
> I have a storage disk with several hundred folders in it. I want to print a
> list of all the top-level folders; I don't need to list second-level folders
> or even what files are in the top-level folders.
>
> The only way I know to do this is to open a DOS window in that drive and Go
> to File>Edit>Select all>Copy then paste it into a Word doc. But then I have
> to edit out all the date and size info.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility that can do this for me?
>
> TIA,
> DVS

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Try the freeware/shareware sites- there are several utilities.

I use ExpPrint at http://www.jddesign.co.uk/ - loads of options to get
exactly what you want, and you can print or save to a text file, and is
configurable info as needed. Part of what they say:
a.. Prints any combination of Name, Size, Type, and the 3 file time stamp
values.
b.. Comprehensive sorting capabilities.
c.. Flexible indentation formatting.
d.. Configurable fonts and colours for different sections of the printout
for ease of identification.
e.. Output to printer or text file. Text output can be loaded into
spreadsheets for further processing.
Until you've registered ExpPrint, you can't save or restore the settings, so
you'll probably need to make a note of the settings you use. We felt it was
better to let you try out the full set of features, rather than restrict the
functionality in a non-registered version.

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
> DVS wrote:

[snip dir-listing:print following similar q:"Edit with WORD"]

>> DVS
>

> From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
> the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
> just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
> command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
> modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
> file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.
>
> Alternatively:
>
> HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers

I'll go along with the Microsoft reference here - with a few mods.

1) For the PRINT version, Microsoft's version

@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit

Note that "/o:gn" is an ordering option (group-directories-first, order
alphabetically by name)

In your case, use

dir %1 /-p /a:d /b > "%temp%\Listing"

(/a:d = directories (folders) only ; /b=bare format - no date/size etc.
data)

1) For the EDIT-IN-WORD version, try

@echo off
dir %1 /-p /a:d /b > c:\dirlist.doc
start "" c:\dirlist.doc

where ".DOC" I presume invokes WORD (.TXT no doubt would invoke NOTEPAD)

If you add "/s" to the "dir" switches, you get the entire subdirectory tree
directory names. (Might not be what you WANT to do, but for completeness'
sake...)

HTH

....Bill

The command line for what you wanted should be

DIR *. /B > C:\folders.txt

the /B is for bare.