High CPU usage in Wordpad

a b à CPUs
June 17, 2005 7:29:10 PM

When Wordpad is run on this system I've noticed that CPU usage hits 47% and
uses ~5.2m of memory even when idling and with no document loaded. OTOH, my
notebook and several other computers show 0% and 4.7m under the same
conditions. The notebook has similar specs, with a P4 630 (3.0 ghz) and 2gb
RAM. The OS is XP SP2 with all updates. I do not get the same issues when
Notepad or Word 9.0 are run. These run as expected, with no CPU usage when
idling.

Needless to say, something is awry here, although I have no such problems
with any other app and the system is very stable. Having Wordpad running at
any time heats the CPU up 15°C or more than normal and has other obvious
side effects on performance. Any help with this bizarre quirk would be
appreciated.

System specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 8KNXP v1 (non-Ultra), f13a bios
CPU: 3.0C P4 Northwood (not OC'd, HT enabled) with Zalman CNPS7000-Cu HSF
2gb RAM (4 x 512mb Kingston DDR400 in dual-channel mode @ SPD, matched
pairs)
PSU: Antec 480w Truepower in Antec full-tower case
Fans: 80mm x 5 (2 w/PSU, 2 on rear, 1 on HD housing)
OS: WinXP Pro (SP2)
Keyboard: Northgate 102 Ultra (via PS2 adapter)
SATA0 & 1 (ICH5R) - WD360GD x 2 in RAID0 array [C: 72gb, boot drive]
IDE1 - Master: Maxtor 6Y160P0 [D: 160gb]
Slave: Mobil Rack rotates six drives for weekly cloning.
IDE2 - Asus CRW-4824AH CD burner
IDE3 - Disabled
IDE4 - Disabled
AGP - Matrox G450 DH at 4x
Monitors:
- Sony E540 (21") primary
- Sony A240 (17") secondary
NIC (on board) - Connected to Linksys 4-port router
Networked computers: 3
Sound (on board): Enabled
Firewire (on board): Enabled (for extra ports)
PCI1 - Empty
PCI2 - StarTech firewire adapter
- Lexar Compactflash reader/writer [F:]
- WD1200BB 120gb on firewire adapter [J:] (Powered on when needed)
- WD1000JB 100gb on firewire adapter [K:] (Powered on when needed)
PCI2 - Empty
PCI3 - Extra parallel adapter (LPT2)
PCI5 - Empty
LPT1 - Brother HL-645 laser printer
LPT2 - Epson LQ-850 dot-matrix printer
USB 2.0:
- Canon LIDE80 scanner
- Epson Photo Stylus 2200 ink-jet printer
- Wacom pen tablet
- Digital Wallet (usually not connected)
- HP Pocket PC h2215 cradle
COM1 - USR Courier V-Everything external modem (for fax)
COM2 - Empty

--

More about : high cpu usage wordpad

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2005 3:35:05 AM

Maybe corruption? I would delete wordpad.exe (usually found in the folder: C:\Program
Files\Windows NT\Accessories) then reboot, then go to the I386 folder, right click the
file: WordPad.ini and left click Install (make sure that the wordpad.ini and wordpad.ex_
files are in your I386 folder BEFORE deleting the existing wordpad.exe file). Personally,
I never use WordPad. If one has Word installed, why would one even bother with WordPad?
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Bob Davis" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:toGse.50355$iU.6598@lakeread05...
> When Wordpad is run on this system I've noticed that CPU usage hits 47% and
> uses ~5.2m of memory even when idling and with no document loaded. OTOH, my
> notebook and several other computers show 0% and 4.7m under the same
> conditions. The notebook has similar specs, with a P4 630 (3.0 ghz) and 2gb
> RAM. The OS is XP SP2 with all updates. I do not get the same issues when
> Notepad or Word 9.0 are run. These run as expected, with no CPU usage when
> idling.
>
> Needless to say, something is awry here, although I have no such problems
> with any other app and the system is very stable. Having Wordpad running at
> any time heats the CPU up 15°C or more than normal and has other obvious
> side effects on performance. Any help with this bizarre quirk would be
> appreciated.
>
> System specs:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte 8KNXP v1 (non-Ultra), f13a bios
> CPU: 3.0C P4 Northwood (not OC'd, HT enabled) with Zalman CNPS7000-Cu HSF
> 2gb RAM (4 x 512mb Kingston DDR400 in dual-channel mode @ SPD, matched
> pairs)
> PSU: Antec 480w Truepower in Antec full-tower case
> Fans: 80mm x 5 (2 w/PSU, 2 on rear, 1 on HD housing)
> OS: WinXP Pro (SP2)
> Keyboard: Northgate 102 Ultra (via PS2 adapter)
> SATA0 & 1 (ICH5R) - WD360GD x 2 in RAID0 array [C: 72gb, boot drive]
> IDE1 - Master: Maxtor 6Y160P0 [D: 160gb]
> Slave: Mobil Rack rotates six drives for weekly cloning.
> IDE2 - Asus CRW-4824AH CD burner
> IDE3 - Disabled
> IDE4 - Disabled
> AGP - Matrox G450 DH at 4x
> Monitors:
> - Sony E540 (21") primary
> - Sony A240 (17") secondary
> NIC (on board) - Connected to Linksys 4-port router
> Networked computers: 3
> Sound (on board): Enabled
> Firewire (on board): Enabled (for extra ports)
> PCI1 - Empty
> PCI2 - StarTech firewire adapter
> - Lexar Compactflash reader/writer [F:]
> - WD1200BB 120gb on firewire adapter [J:] (Powered on when needed)
> - WD1000JB 100gb on firewire adapter [K:] (Powered on when needed)
> PCI2 - Empty
> PCI3 - Extra parallel adapter (LPT2)
> PCI5 - Empty
> LPT1 - Brother HL-645 laser printer
> LPT2 - Epson LQ-850 dot-matrix printer
> USB 2.0:
> - Canon LIDE80 scanner
> - Epson Photo Stylus 2200 ink-jet printer
> - Wacom pen tablet
> - Digital Wallet (usually not connected)
> - HP Pocket PC h2215 cradle
> COM1 - USR Courier V-Everything external modem (for fax)
> COM2 - Empty

a b à CPUs
June 18, 2005 1:17:58 PM

"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Maybe corruption? I would delete wordpad.exe (usually found in the
> folder: C:\Program
> Files\Windows NT\Accessories) then reboot, then go to the I386 folder,
> right click the
> file: WordPad.ini and left click Install (make sure that the wordpad.ini
> and wordpad.ex_
> files are in your I386 folder BEFORE deleting the existing wordpad.exe
> file). Personally,
> I never use WordPad. If one has Word installed, why would one even bother
> with
> WordPad?

Yesterday I moved Wordpad.exe from the notebook to the affected desktop, but
no change. After reading your reply I copied five more files in
\windows\inf and \windows\help (including Wordpad.ini), and this did no good
either. I rebooted after the swap, of course.

I don't have an I386 folder on this system (that I know of)--and yes, system
and hidden files and folders are visible. There is one on the XP install
disk, but files are compressed in the form of Wordpad.in_, etc., and I'm not
sure how to deal with them. If all Wordpad-related files are copied from
the other computer, I would think that would be sufficient to test this
theory.

I had Wordpad integrated into some log files accessible from the desktop,
but I've changed all these to Notepad. I'd still like to determine why this
is happening, as I haven't seen it happen on other computers and a Google
search finds nothing.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2008 9:43:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

thanks for responding. The reason why I don't want to buy a desktop is because I am moving around a lot, so I also need to stay as mobile as possible. Buying a desktop means another big pack to transfer. I am renting apartments, I sometimes move around once in 1 or two years. And those apartments often don't have the right security, not to mention the rubish locks they have in the doors.

I don't use the laptop for gaming, so mainly I wanted an improvement in watching DVD's. I've seen someone here recommended a Toshiba Laptop with an Nvidia card for about $1200, so I was wondering , if that kind of card can support a 22" screen. The problem is when I asked a few companies producing and selling screens, they too didn't know what kind of card should be recommended. I find that pretty odd and I think it would really make buying a proper screen more easy.

I was also thinking maybe I should by a laptop with a 17" screen, maybe they have better and more powerfull graphic cards.

Why Toshiba, you ask? Well I already have a Toshiba laptop. The prices are quite reasonable. I find the one I have - for more than a year now - a real good one, although a bit outdated. I used to use an IBM Thinkpad at work, but I think they are much more expensive. Besides - assembled in China :-(
My Toshiba is also very reliable to me, and that's what counts the most. I look not only at the overall performance, but also things like keyboard layout, USB ports, screen type, other interaces, the quality of the plastics thery are made of, etc.

At work we have HP laptops, and comparing to the prices that kind of hardware is not the kind I like. But maybe I am wrong and there are other brands, that are much better. Let me know what you think.
I just wanted to find out what is peoples' experience.

Maybe someone knows a good web page where I can find that kind of information?

Thanks again,
Richard.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2008 9:47:32 AM

Hi, could someone remove this post?
It was supposed to be posted somewhere else,
thanks,
Richard
!