Help with connecting multiple PCs.

graffspree

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I'm not sure if this the right forum, because I am not really sure what I need. I use a variety of devices during the day and I am getting tired of trying to move files around. I'm a teacher so I have a few strange issues and limitations. Here is what I am currently using.

Home PC. Runs W7, my main workstation when I am home. The only reason it's not a Mac is because I game on it. The #1 thing I love about it is my 24 inch monitor.

School PC
. Runs Windows XP, P4, 512 RAM, and because of the economy, probably will be my school computer for a while. Slow does not even begin to describe it. It can take 2-3 minutes to open an office document. It is my internet connection at school. My school-specific email is here which I can also access it from the web so it is no big deal. There are some school specific programs I have to run on it. I can't hook a router to it as it causes all kind of network problems. Hitler runs our county IT department. I HATE it.

Netbook Acer Aspire One Nice little PC. I really like it for the battery life. I can actually leave my charger at home. Runs W7 home. I don't like the fact that I have to wait for boot and login every time I want to do something. This is currently the PC I use to show my students PowerPoints. I am not wild about blending personal and school use. The screen size can get annoying. I wish I could use it in portrait mode. No internet connection at school.

iPhone This solves my email problem. I can do 95% of what I need to do with email from my phone. The rest I can defer until I can use a non-school computer. I have been playing with a variety of Apps for things like ToDo lists, but I need more screen for anything serious. I love this phone.

USB Drive. This is currently where I keep all my files. Backed up on home PC. I can't find a better solution right now, but it gets annoying to move files around. I also forget to take it with me on occasion which shuts down my life.

Dropbox. I've been playing with this a bit. I have trouble getting it to sync OneNote correctly.

OneNote. The more I use this, the more I love it. I've tried Evernote because I can get it on my phone, but the sections and pages on OneNote can't be replicated there with any speed.

iPad - I want one, bad. I would love for this to replace my laptop. The only problem is that I can't find an app that gives me the functionality of OneNote I like (sections and pages). I would love to have iPhone speed with netbook screen size.

So there is the rather complicated set up I have. Right now if I want to add a picture to a PowerPoint I have to open my USB on the school computer, enter password, wait for it to boot up. Then I have to wait for the PP to open. Once I fix the PP I have to eject the USB, open the USB on the netbook, transfer the file, then eject the USB.

I want to minimize my devices, but I want to keep anything personal of my school computer. Suggestions?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
download dropbox onto your computers. It creates a folder that auto syncs everytime your computer is turned on and online. It also has a mobile version and I think an app version for iphone. ATM I use my netbook for all my university even when i'm on the university campus. No point in their systems (I usually disconnect the monitor and dual screen when im in labs =p) unless I want to print something and then I just go to drop box online and download then print. I also downloaded drop box to my other PCs at home so I can work on them and theyre auto updated like I said. My blackberry i use for email. everything gets pushed to it and I can edit some office stuffs with their mobile version of office. Again drop box has a mobile version of its site. I back up calenders, contacts etc with outlook and gmail.

for one of our labs we had to run the software on the university computer and for that I used a memory stick. I just made a copy in the drop box folder when I was done.

I guess roll on cloud computing >.>

graffspree

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The problem is that I only have the internet on one PC at school, and can't create a wireless network. I was trying to think of a way to connect PCs at school without dealing with the internet issue.