Deleting locked folders or files problem

Greetings.
Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there are
a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
"size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another folder
also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
"makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
"Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but this
serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder attributes,
there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the Content.IE5
folder.
Many many thanks!
B.rgds,
Kevin
8 answers Last reply
More about deleting locked folders files problem

    Try Pocket KillBox
    download here:
    http://www.subratam.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=41

    A very powerful tool - use with caution!

    "General Mailbox" wrote:

    > Greetings.
    > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there are
    > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another folder
    > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
    > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but this
    > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
    > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
    > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified file.
    > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder attributes,
    > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the Content.IE5
    > folder.
    > Many many thanks!
    > B.rgds,
    > Kevin

    Interesting site. Thanks. I just ran that Pocket KillBox and it said that
    it could not delete that file.
    Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Kevin

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try Pocket KillBox
    > download here:

    http://www.subratam.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&It
    emid=41

    > A very powerful tool - use with caution!
    >
    > "General Mailbox" wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings.
    > > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there
    are
    > > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another
    folder
    > > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
    > > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but
    this
    > > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
    > > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
    > > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified
    file.
    > > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder
    attributes,
    > > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the
    Content.IE5
    > > folder.
    > > Many many thanks!
    > > B.rgds,
    > > Kevin

    Boot into Safe Mode (Hit F8 during startup)...try deleting them from there.

    If this doesn't work, check out something about doing a selective services
    startup (choose the services you want to start when you start) and stop the
    'bad' ones. Then try deleting after a selective startup.

    Another possibility would be startup in safe mode with command prompt
    only...navigate to the files (using dir to see the directories and cd to
    change directories) then del the files, or if they are in directories do a
    rd /s directoryname (be careful with this one...removes the directories
    under it as well)

    Hope this helps,
    Jason Ryon
    "General Mailbox" wrote:

    > Interesting site. Thanks. I just ran that Pocket KillBox and it said that
    > it could not delete that file.
    > Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    > Kevin
    >
    > "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Try Pocket KillBox
    > > download here:
    > >
    > http://www.subratam.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&It
    > emid=41
    > >
    > > A very powerful tool - use with caution!
    > >
    > > "General Mailbox" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Greetings.
    > > > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there
    > are
    > > > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > > > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another
    > folder
    > > > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > > > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
    > > > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > > > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but
    > this
    > > > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > > > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
    > > > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > > > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
    > > > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified
    > file.
    > > > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder
    > attributes,
    > > > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > > > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the
    > Content.IE5
    > > > folder.
    > > > Many many thanks!
    > > > B.rgds,
    > > > Kevin

    Already tried Safe Mode. Files are still locked.

    How do I get XP to get to a dos prompt?

    Kevin

    "Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Boot into Safe Mode (Hit F8 during startup)...try deleting them from
    there.

    > If this doesn't work, check out something about doing a selective services
    > startup (choose the services you want to start when you start) and stop
    the
    > 'bad' ones. Then try deleting after a selective startup.
    >
    > Another possibility would be startup in safe mode with command prompt
    > only...navigate to the files (using dir to see the directories and cd to
    > change directories) then del the files, or if they are in directories do a
    > rd /s directoryname (be careful with this one...removes the directories
    > under it as well)
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Jason Ryon
    > "General Mailbox" wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting site. Thanks. I just ran that Pocket KillBox and it said
    that
    > > it could not delete that file.
    > > Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    > > Kevin
    > >
    > > "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Try Pocket KillBox
    > > > download here:

    http://www.subratam.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&It
    > > emid=41
    > > >
    > > > A very powerful tool - use with caution!

    > > are
    > > folder
    > > this
    > > file.
    > > attributes,
    > > Content.IE5

    Hi,
    Rather than trying to delete individual files or folders, delete the
    Temporary Internet Files folder.

    Login from the machine's default administrator account (startup in Safe
    Mode) and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer. Logging in
    as another user with admin privileges should also work.

    Or, CCleaner (freeware) from http://www.ccleaner.com/ may be able to
    completely clean out the TIF folder.

    Hope this helps,
    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "General Mailbox" wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there
    are
    > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another folder
    > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
    > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but
    this
    > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
    > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
    > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified
    file.
    > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder
    attributes,
    > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the Content.IE5
    > folder.
    > Many many thanks!
    > B.rgds,
    > Kevin

    Thanks Don!
    I'm guessing that, even in safe mode, windows explorer was keeping those
    files locked by simply displaying them. Why those particular files? I
    don't know. But the program you referenced to me "CCleaner" worked just
    fine. It didn't just clean out the contents of the TIF, but deleted the
    high folder itself (Temporary Internet Files) thus the ContentIE.5 folder
    underneath. I don't imagine that would be a problem as it should recreate
    itself.

    I do have a problem with certain locations of TIF folders that aren't being
    cleaned, even with CCleaner. Apparently that program only looks for a
    default location. I guess I should post the mess I made in an IE newsgroup.

    Thanks again!
    Kevin

    > Hi,
    > Rather than trying to delete individual files or folders, delete the
    > Temporary Internet Files folder.
    >
    > Login from the machine's default administrator account (startup in Safe
    > Mode) and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer. Logging in
    > as another user with admin privileges should also work.
    >
    > Or, CCleaner (freeware) from http://www.ccleaner.com/ may be able to
    > completely clean out the TIF folder.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Don
    > [MS MVP- IE/OE]
    >
    > "General Mailbox" wrote in message
    > > Greetings.
    > > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find there
    > are
    > > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another
    folder
    > > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from a
    > > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but
    > this
    > > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause the
    > > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up a
    > > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified
    > file.
    > > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder
    > attributes,
    > > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the
    Content.IE5
    > > folder.
    > > Many many thanks!
    > > B.rgds,
    > > Kevin

    Hi,
    Yes, a new TIF folder wll be created on restart. Are the other TIF folders
    under different user accounts?

    > Thanks Don!
    > I'm guessing that, even in safe mode, windows explorer was keeping those
    > files locked by simply displaying them. Why those particular files? I
    > don't know. But the program you referenced to me "CCleaner" worked just
    > fine. It didn't just clean out the contents of the TIF, but deleted the
    > high folder itself (Temporary Internet Files) thus the ContentIE.5 folder
    > underneath. I don't imagine that would be a problem as it should recreate
    > itself.
    >
    > I do have a problem with certain locations of TIF folders that aren't
    being
    > cleaned, even with CCleaner. Apparently that program only looks for a
    > default location. I guess I should post the mess I made in an IE
    newsgroup.

    > Thanks again!
    > Kevin

    > > Hi,
    > > Rather than trying to delete individual files or folders, delete the
    > > Temporary Internet Files folder.
    > >
    > > Login from the machine's default administrator account (startup in Safe
    > > Mode) and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer. Logging
    in
    > > as another user with admin privileges should also work.
    > >
    > > Or, CCleaner (freeware) from http://www.ccleaner.com/ may be able to
    > > completely clean out the TIF folder.

    > > "General Mailbox" wrote in message
    > > > Greetings.
    > > > Using explorer to search through the temp internet folders, I find
    there
    > > are
    > > > a few files that are not being deleted. About 30 of them are named
    > > > "size=1x1&name=ATAtracker..etc.etc..gif" at 1KB in size. In another
    > folder
    > > > also under the Temporary Internet Files | Content.IE5, is a file
    > > > "makeplaylist.dll%3F....etc.etc..asx". In another folder 2 files from
    > > > Playstation 2 website both filenames starting with
    > > > "Network=ugo&size=....etc.etc..html". There are more folders yet, but
    > > this
    > > > serves as enough. The right click on the filename does not render the
    > > > delete option. Depressing the keyboard delete button does not cause
    the
    > > > file to delete nor even bring up the confirmation window for deleting.
    > > > Trying to delete the folder(s) themselves, even in Safe Mode brings up
    > > > message saying "Cannot delete Size_1~1.gif. Cannot find the specified
    > > file.
    > > > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename." In folder
    > > attributes,
    > > > there is the read only option to check or uncheck.
    > > > Please advise a procedure for deleting these folders under the
    > Content.IE5
    > > > folder.
    > > > Many many thanks!
    > > > B.rgds,
    > > > Kevin

    Hi Don.
    I just about gave up on this thread as I was able to delete the TIF folders.
    CCleaner, Windows, nor Evidence Eliminator were able to delete the folders,
    even in safe mode. I used the DEL command at the command prompt.
    Yes. I created a partition on the same drive as the OS here, thinking that
    I would use that partition as a work area handling the most of the install &
    deletes files. This was in hope to keep the OS partition in a relatively
    unfragmented condition and lessening the volume size for when
    defragmantation is done. Under each profile, the Internet Options TIF
    folder location is pointing to a different folder i.e. user#2 goes to
    f:\TIFuser2, user#3 to f:\TIFuser3, etc. I also use FireFox browser which I
    don't see an option to relocate TIF folders. Out of experimentation, I
    pointed i.e. user#2 Internet Options to the same TIF location as FireFox
    thinking that the TIF can be erased in one sweep by ZoneAlarm Pro clean
    cache option. What I found is ZoneAlarm doesn't erase everywhere, and some
    cache information is being stored in more than one place. Rather than
    figure out what it's not doing and having you spend too much time with me,
    is I'd like your input as to how to manage the locations for both the
    browsers and 3 other users (2 limited and one admin) so I can clean up files
    from my profile with relative ease, or have ZoneAlarm set to clean once a
    day automatically for each person that signs on and actually have it work.
    If you have a recommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. Thank you very much!
    B.rgds,
    Kevin

Windows XP