Ethernet Adaptors not installing.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I use Windows XP Home, and have a broadband cable
connection, via Ethernet to an SMC EZ connectUSB Fast
Ethernet Adapter (ethernet to USB converter) and from this
to a USB connection on my PC. I want to remove the
converter, and run a straight ethernet connection from my
modem to the PC - Then install a router between the modem
and PC for XBOX Live access, and later for networking
another PC.
I have purchased two Ethernet Adapter cards, a Surecom
10/100M Ethernet PCI Adapter, and also a NetGear card. I
cannot get either of them installed, by Plug'n'play, or by
manual installation.
After installing a card and rebooting the PC, the
message "found new hardware" comes up, but then appears to
time out, until another message tells me that the device
could not be configured - data invalid. I then get a
message that there has been a problem with installation,
and that the device may not work.
I've loaded drivers, re-installed Plug'n'play, and have
even re-loaded XP over the top. I have returned the PC to
the shop where I bought it, but they have not been able to
pinpoint the problem.
In all, 5 PCI cards have been tried, all without success.
Is there anybody out there who has had this problem, or
knows what I need to do? I really don't want to delete my
hard drive files, but have been told that I may have to do
that. I'd really appreciate some assistance with this.

joker

This newsgroup is for the Microsoft Broadband networking hardware & not
networking in general. You might try posting on a Windows newsgroup or
contacting someone with the company that Made the NIC you are trying to
install.