Microsoft Windows Update..

Hello!!
Just a bit annoyed with windows update scan, after scanning my O/S it comes
up with some new audio driver, if I go ahead and install it my sound don't
work anymore. Great help from Microsoft!!!! There is nothing wrong with my
old driver, the sound works completely fine so why should I download a new
driver which make's my computer "mute" ????! So can anyone help?
Sorry for not making much sense I'm just a bit pissed off!!
Driver details:
"C Media Electronics Incorporation - Sound - C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Date last published: 5/29/2005"
5 answers Last reply
More about microsoft windows update

    it's listed as an "optional" download, just don't install it. problem solved.

    "Adi" wrote:

    > Hello!!
    > Just a bit annoyed with windows update scan, after scanning my O/S it comes
    > up with some new audio driver, if I go ahead and install it my sound don't
    > work anymore. Great help from Microsoft!!!! There is nothing wrong with my
    > old driver, the sound works completely fine so why should I download a new
    > driver which make's my computer "mute" ????! So can anyone help?
    > Sorry for not making much sense I'm just a bit pissed off!!
    > Driver details:
    > "C Media Electronics Incorporation - Sound - C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    > Date last published: 5/29/2005"

    Few if any experienced users will install any driver updates offered by
    Windows Update. Now you know why. Welcome to the club.

    If you're still experiencing problems, just roll-back to the previous driver
    version.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Adi wrote:
    > Hello!!
    > Just a bit annoyed with windows update scan, after scanning my O/S it
    > comes up with some new audio driver, if I go ahead and install it my
    > sound don't work anymore. Great help from Microsoft!!!! There is nothing
    > wrong with my old driver, the sound works completely fine so why should I
    > download a new driver which make's my computer "mute" ????! So can anyone
    > help?
    > Sorry for not making much sense I'm just a bit pissed off!!
    > Driver details:
    > "C Media Electronics Incorporation - Sound - C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    > Date last published: 5/29/2005"

    Windows Update is just making available that which companies submit to them.
    Many times they are outdated by 2-3 newer versions. There is nothing that
    says you have to install them or even that you should. The choice is YOURS.

    I never would tell someone to update their drivers from Windows Update. I
    always tell them to go to the device manufacturer's web site to get their
    drivers.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Adi wrote:
    > Hello!!
    > Just a bit annoyed with windows update scan, after scanning my O/S it
    > comes up with some new audio driver, if I go ahead and install it my
    > sound don't work anymore. Great help from Microsoft!!!! There is
    > nothing wrong with my old driver, the sound works completely fine so
    > why should I download a new driver which make's my computer "mute"
    > ????! So can anyone help?
    > Sorry for not making much sense I'm just a bit pissed off!!
    > Driver details:
    > "C Media Electronics Incorporation - Sound - C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    > Date last published: 5/29/2005"

    Don't install it. Go to your motherboad manufacturers site, or your
    Computer OEM site to find driver updates for your onboard sound. You
    can go to the C-Media site too if you know the sound chipset used, but I
    have had some problems using the latest drivers from them, so I tend to
    say away from that site.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    > Windows Update is just making available that which companies submit to
    > them. Many times they are outdated by 2-3 newer versions. There is nothing
    > that says you have to install them or even that you should. The choice is
    > YOURS.
    >
    > I never would tell someone to update their drivers from Windows Update. I
    > always tell them to go to the device manufacturer's web site to get their
    > drivers.

    I do the same, in fact I'll go as far as to hide the driver updates from
    clients machines; if I don't, I've noticed with automatic updates turned on
    *some* rather trivial modem/sound driver updates get installed regardless,
    unless you don't let them install automatically after download, and choose
    to custom install and remove them every time.

    Video and sound drivers are the WORST... sound always breaks and just about
    any video driver update for ATI / nVidia / Intel will slow your system
    display to a quite noticable crawl - but I don't recall ever having a
    problem with modem drivers from Windows Update...

    Though about recommending driver updates to a client it's not something I
    always do; many get the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" routine. There
    are quite a few reasons why, the first being a new driver can break
    something ... historical ATI teachings. As for the system OEMS, I used to
    work for Gateway, and long ago they came out with an automated driver update
    utility, which had a bad habit of installing NT drivers on 9x systems and
    they wouldn't load Windows many times... even now the GW site insists on
    guessing what OS you have on your computer and recommending you go to just
    those downloads for that OS; and it seems to pick Windows 98 most of the
    time, sometimes even if you're running XP or even (yes, a co-worker showed
    me) LINUX. Quite a jump.... On the other fronts, HP won't post drivers for
    half of it's proprietary junk in an attempt to make you order the free CD
    with $30 shipping fee, and Dell just wants to lump drivers for 30 different
    products on one page that should be showing you YOUR system specs.

Audio Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP