reformat or re install

June 17, 2005 7:06:02 PM

I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and want to reformat
or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade over ME and am not sure
how to approach the problem from here. should i try and do a re install or
just start over.` I had excellent advice to find what my computer was doing
from this board...

thanks in advance

More about : reformat install

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:27:22 PM

Anytime you have the option to reformat or reinstall you should always opt
for the reformat for obvious reasons. Reinstall will fix things but not
necessary get rid of things.

"msmick" <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and want to
>reformat
> or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade over ME and am not
> sure
> how to approach the problem from here. should i try and do a re install or
> just start over.` I had excellent advice to find what my computer was
> doing
> from this board...
>
> thanks in advance
June 17, 2005 7:32:02 PM

if you have the upgrade cd, insert it in the drive. make sure your cdrom is
the first boot device. restart your computer. boot from the CD. follow the
steps to install xp, delete the partition then create a new one to install
on. format using whichever file system you prefer, however, be aware that
once you go to ntfs you can't go back to the fat file system

"msmick" wrote:

> I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and want to reformat
> or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade over ME and am not sure
> how to approach the problem from here. should i try and do a re install or
> just start over.` I had excellent advice to find what my computer was doing
> from this board...
>
> thanks in advance
June 17, 2005 7:42:33 PM

In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and
> want to
> reformat or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade
> over ME
> and am not sure how to approach the problem from here. should i
> try
> and do a re install or just start over.`

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
between "re install or just start over."

If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many virus
and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD (change
the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow
the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying version.
You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:59:02 PM

Ken
it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it. what do you suggest

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and
> > want to
> > reformat or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade
> > over ME
> > and am not sure how to approach the problem from here. should i
> > try
> > and do a re install or just start over.`
>

> I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
> between "re install or just start over."
>
> If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
> don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many virus
> and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD (change
> the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow
> the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
> partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
> Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
> insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying version.
> You can find detailed instructions here:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
>
> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:14:57 PM

In news:BFE5041C-0D66-45A7-AD0D-AAD3273680C6@microsoft.com,
msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it. what
> do you
> suggest

Does that mean you don't have an Me CD? Not even an Me restore
CD?

If you have neither, you should have a hidden partition to let
you restore Windows Me; check in your documentation or contact
your OEM to find out how to do this.

If you have no CD, you'll have to reinstall Me from that hidden
partition, then do an upgrade over the top of it.

This is one of the many reasons I would personally never choose
to buy a computer that came with an operating system unless I got
a complete generic installation CD for that operating system.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
>> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and
>>> want to
>>> reformat or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade
>>> over ME
>>> and am not sure how to approach the problem from here. should
>>> try
>>> and do a re install or just start over.`
>>

>> I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
>> between "re install or just start over."
>>
>> If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
>> don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many
>> virus
>> and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD
>> (change
>> the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and
>> follow
>> the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
>> partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new
>> one).
>> Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
>> insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying
>> version.
>> You can find detailed instructions here:
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
>>
>> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:36:01 PM

Thanks so much. I hope I know how to find the hidden partition.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:BFE5041C-0D66-45A7-AD0D-AAD3273680C6@microsoft.com,
> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it. what
> > do you
> > suggest
>

> Does that mean you don't have an Me CD? Not even an Me restore
> CD?
>
> If you have neither, you should have a hidden partition to let
> you restore Windows Me; check in your documentation or contact
> your OEM to find out how to do this.
>
> If you have no CD, you'll have to reinstall Me from that hidden
> partition, then do an upgrade over the top of it.
>
> This is one of the many reasons I would personally never choose
> to buy a computer that came with an operating system unless I got
> a complete generic installation CD for that operating system.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "Ken Blake" wrote:
> >
> >> In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
> >> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> >> I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
> >> between "re install or just start over."
> >>
> >> If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
> >> don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many
> >> virus
> >> and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD
> >> (change
> >> the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and
> >> follow
> >> the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
> >> partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new
> >> one).
> >> Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
> >> insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying
> >> version.
> >> You can find detailed instructions here:
> >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> >>
> >> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
> >>
> >> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:22:59 PM

In news:60C066A5-7BE4-4F40-9D78-3FD08857117B@microsoft.com,
msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks so much. I hope I know how to find the hidden partition.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:BFE5041C-0D66-45A7-AD0D-AAD3273680C6@microsoft.com,
>> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it.
>>> what
>>> do you
>>> suggest
>>

>> Does that mean you don't have an Me CD? Not even an Me restore
>> CD?
>>
>> If you have neither, you should have a hidden partition to let
>> you restore Windows Me; check in your documentation or contact
>> your OEM to find out how to do this.
>>
>> If you have no CD, you'll have to reinstall Me from that
>> hidden
>> partition, then do an upgrade over the top of it.
>>
>> This is one of the many reasons I would personally never
>> choose
>> to buy a computer that came with an operating system unless I
>> got
>> a complete generic installation CD for that operating system.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:03:01 AM

If it is a Dell machine then you press F11 on boot to access the hidden partition.

--
Peter

!