reformat or re install

I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and want to reformat
or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade over ME and am not sure
how to approach the problem from here. should i try and do a re install or
just start over.` I had excellent advice to find what my computer was doing
from this board...

thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about reformat install

    Anytime you have the option to reformat or reinstall you should always opt
    for the reformat for obvious reasons. Reinstall will fix things but not
    necessary get rid of things.

    "msmick" <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and want to
    >reformat
    > or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade over ME and am not
    > sure
    > how to approach the problem from here. should i try and do a re install or
    > just start over.` I had excellent advice to find what my computer was
    > doing
    > from this board...
    >
    > thanks in advance

    if you have the upgrade cd, insert it in the drive. make sure your cdrom is
    the first boot device. restart your computer. boot from the CD. follow the
    steps to install xp, delete the partition then create a new one to install
    on. format using whichever file system you prefer, however, be aware that
    once you go to ntfs you can't go back to the fat file system

    In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
    msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and
    > want to
    > reformat or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade
    > over ME
    > and am not sure how to approach the problem from here. should i
    > try
    > and do a re install or just start over.`

    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
    between "re install or just start over."

    If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
    don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many virus
    and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD (change
    the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow
    the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
    partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
    Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
    insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying version.
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken
    it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it. what do you suggest

    In news:BFE5041C-0D66-45A7-AD0D-AAD3273680C6@microsoft.com,
    msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it. what
    > do you
    > suggest

    Does that mean you don't have an Me CD? Not even an Me restore
    CD?

    If you have neither, you should have a hidden partition to let
    you restore Windows Me; check in your documentation or contact
    your OEM to find out how to do this.

    If you have no CD, you'll have to reinstall Me from that hidden
    partition, then do an upgrade over the top of it.

    This is one of the many reasons I would personally never choose
    to buy a computer that came with an operating system unless I got
    a complete generic installation CD for that operating system.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:6E5D6961-6038-4B78-82A5-1AAC02358646@microsoft.com,
    >> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I have a compaq that had many virus and spyware problems and
    >>> want to
    >>> reformat or reinstall the hard drive. I installed xp upgrade
    >>> over ME
    >>> and am not sure how to approach the problem from here. should
    >>> try
    >>> and do a re install or just start over.`
    >>

    >> I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by the difference
    >> between "re install or just start over."
    >>
    >> If you want to do a clean reinstallation (although I usually
    >> don't recommend this, it's perhaps best if you have "many
    >> virus
    >> and spyware problems"), just boot from the Windows XP CD
    >> (change
    >> the BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and
    >> follow
    >> the prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing
    >> partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new
    >> one).
    >> Make sure your Windows Me CD is handy; you'll be prompted to
    >> insert it as proof of ownership of a previous qualifying
    >> version.
    >> You can find detailed instructions here:
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >>
    >> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    >>
    >> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thanks so much. I hope I know how to find the hidden partition.

    In news:60C066A5-7BE4-4F40-9D78-3FD08857117B@microsoft.com,
    msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Thanks so much. I hope I know how to find the hidden partition.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:BFE5041C-0D66-45A7-AD0D-AAD3273680C6@microsoft.com,
    >> msmick <msmick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> it is an oem machince that came with ME originally on it.
    >>> what
    >>> do you
    >>> suggest
    >>

    >> Does that mean you don't have an Me CD? Not even an Me restore
    >> CD?
    >>
    >> If you have neither, you should have a hidden partition to let
    >> you restore Windows Me; check in your documentation or contact
    >> your OEM to find out how to do this.
    >>
    >> If you have no CD, you'll have to reinstall Me from that
    >> hidden
    >> partition, then do an upgrade over the top of it.
    >>
    >> This is one of the many reasons I would personally never
    >> choose
    >> to buy a computer that came with an operating system unless I
    >> got
    >> a complete generic installation CD for that operating system.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    If it is a Dell machine then you press F11 on boot to access the hidden partition.

    --
    Peter

Windows XP