Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering Audio Video

Last response: in Windows XP
June 16, 2002 1:58:29 AM

I'm having problems with audio video on my system. Whenever I use Winamp, it will "skip" about once every 2 or 3 minutes or so. The same goes while watching DVD's with PowerDVD. I've got an Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB DDR, SB Audigy, TNT2 Ultra, and a ATA100 drive on a ECS K7VTA3 rev2. I definately shouldn't be having performance problems. I've updated to the latest drives for everything, including the motherboard. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Any advice is appreciated.

<b>Only in America would a drive-up ATM have brail numbers.</b>

More about : stuttering audio video

June 16, 2002 2:10:44 PM

i am having the same problem, same system too, except i have an Asus A7V266E Motherboard..... What the hell?

Putting the LAUGH back in SLAUGHTER.
June 17, 2002 6:00:45 AM

its driving me nuts

Related resources
June 17, 2002 10:26:52 AM

The kind of skipping you've described can be caused when the hard drive is paging, can also cause slowdown or stuttering during games. Might not be your problem but perhaps worth considering. Do you use any disk management tools?

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....
June 17, 2002 11:21:44 AM

What PCI slot is it in? Try moving it to another. Make sure you uninstall it first from Device Manager. [Control Panel > System (it's a button in one of the tabs...I'm not in XP right now)]

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - Host fixed network problems; I'm back up
June 17, 2002 3:36:20 PM

I have Norton System Works Professional installed. I've run the defrag tool a few times. That's about it though.

June 17, 2002 3:58:50 PM

i have a NIC in PCI 3 and my audigy in PCI 4

June 17, 2002 4:43:55 PM

During a normal windows session, use CTRL+ALT+DEL and note the processes that are running. Look for any CPU usage rates above a few percentage points. Memory usage is also useful to know although you should have more than enough to avoid your current problems.

When you talk about defragging, are you referring to Norton Speed Disk? The position of your files on the hard disk does matter, particularly if you use them frequently. If the skipping occurs at regular intervals, this is less likely to be the problem.

Again I'll mention that the problem may well lie elsewhere, but you may as well explore this and see if it helps.

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....
June 17, 2002 5:42:59 PM

There are no processes that use more than 2 % of my system...so thats not a problem

The time between the skips is very random

i defrag freqently but i only use the defragment tool built into windows, should I use another product? Will that solve my problem?

Any other ideas into this problem?

June 19, 2002 3:48:49 AM

adjust the buffer settings in winamp.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
!