security wipe open space?

a b 8 Security
June 17, 2005 6:03:19 PM

Hi All,

Anyone know of a utility that will security wipe all my
unused (open) space on my hard drive? (I have found ones that
will security wipe a file, but nothing yet that will go
through all the previously erased and open stuff.)

Many thanks,
--Tony
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2005 4:06:38 AM

"Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
news:D 8vdu0$fvg$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone know of a utility that will security wipe all my
> unused (open) space on my hard drive? (I have found ones that
> will security wipe a file, but nothing yet that will go
> through all the previously erased and open stuff.)
>
> Many thanks,
> --Tony

There are utils to do this, I can't recall names at the moment but the 2002
Norton Utils says:
Wipe Info erases files or folders from your hard disk so that they cannot be
recovered. On Windows 98/Me, Wipe Info also wipes the free space on your
hard disk.

It may be worth checking if the newer versions support XP.

It's worth looking at the freeware/shareware sites like download.com
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2005 4:06:39 AM

Alan Smith wrote:
> "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8vdu0$fvg$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone know of a utility that will security wipe all my
>>unused (open) space on my hard drive? (I have found ones that
>>will security wipe a file, but nothing yet that will go
>>through all the previously erased and open stuff.)
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>--Tony
>

> There are utils to do this, I can't recall names at the moment but the 2002
> Norton Utils says:
> Wipe Info erases files or folders from your hard disk so that they cannot be
> recovered. On Windows 98/Me, Wipe Info also wipes the free space on your
> hard disk.
>
> It may be worth checking if the newer versions support XP.
>
> It's worth looking at the freeware/shareware sites like download.com

Hi Alan,

Soon as I read your reply, I changed my metacrawler search to
"wipes the free space." I got a bunch of hits.

Eraser one seems to get a lot of remarks:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/

I will give it a spin. I like that it is open source
too. In my experience, the quality is generally much
higher than pay software and you get to write the author
with your problems!

Thanks you for the help!
--Tony
!