Using MN-500 as a Bridge

I am attempting to clear out the wires i have across my
house. i have a MN-500 basestation that i have been
using, i had a cable run across my house to a hub for a
few other hard wired computers that are on the edge of
the wireless signal. I have purchased another wireless
router, i would now like to change the MN-500 into a
bridge. I understand how to make the actual changes
through the base station management tool, but once i
change it over to a bridge:
How do i configure it once its changed to bridge mode?
the manual says that they management tool will be
disabled?
How do i make it pick up the signal for my network?
What can it do from this point? take the wireless
signal and send it to the hard wired computers connected
to it?
3 answers Last reply
More about using bridge

    To access the BSMT you need to have an IP address in the same range (the
    default is 192.168.2.*) And browse to that IP address.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 #1
    MN-500 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 #2
    MN-500 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 #3 (if available)

    Make sure all MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

    Now lets look at the setup of each MN-500:

    MN-500 #1
    router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    some SSID
    some WEP key
    channel 6

    MN-500 #2
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 1

    MN-500 #3 (if available)
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key the same for all base stations, people
    will be able to move between offices and get a connection.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    Bobby wrote:

    > I am attempting to clear out the wires i have across my
    > house. i have a MN-500 basestation that i have been
    > using, i had a cable run across my house to a hub for a
    > few other hard wired computers that are on the edge of
    > the wireless signal. I have purchased another wireless
    > router, i would now like to change the MN-500 into a
    > bridge. I understand how to make the actual changes
    > through the base station management tool, but once i
    > change it over to a bridge:
    > How do i configure it once its changed to bridge mode?
    > the manual says that they management tool will be
    > disabled?
    > How do i make it pick up the signal for my network?
    > What can it do from this point? take the wireless
    > signal and send it to the hard wired computers connected
    > to it?

    Thanks for the information, isn't this a set up to use
    the second or third router as an Access Point. My
    question is now, where is the bridge, if you have to
    connect the second or third router in bridge mode to the
    original router? Where and how do you place a bridge
    ansent a wired connection, as in In room #1 you have the
    broadband modem, connected to MN-500 #1. My goal is now
    in room #2 to place a bridge that connects wired
    computers in that room either using the LAN ports on the
    MN-500 #2 or using a hub.

    I may have just over looked your instructions, if i
    change the IP address of MN-500 #2 and change the
    channel, and use the same SSID and WEP key can i place
    the MN-500 #2 in a different room without any wires from
    the MN-500 acting as a router? if so, do the LAN ports
    then act as a HUB?

    They need to be wired together.

    The second MN500 can serve additional wired computers on the same network as
    your first MN500 once you have connected the two MN500's together.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

Routers Wireless Networking