Booting Computer To Desktop Without Signing On

Barry

Looking for help as to how to bypass the Sign-On & Welcome screens. Would
like to turn on computer and let it boot directly to the Desktop. I've tried
recommendations from a previous posting, i.e., Run: control userpasswords2,
and followed the directions, however, when I reboot I get the Log On To
Windows screen (filled in with name and password), however, it has a Log On
Message screen on top of it stating: "The system could not log on. Make sure
your user name and domain are correct then type your password again. Letters
in passwords must be typed using correct case." I click the 'OK' button and
it proceeds to boot to the Welcome screen (the one I'm trying to bypass). I
click on my name and it then proceeds to boot to the Desktop. Appreciate
assistance. Thanks.

Greetings, Barry.
I didn't try this on my system, because I don't want to change my settings.
But I thought that if you have only one user profile, AND you unchecked the
welcome screen option under User Accounts "Change the way users log on and
off", you shouldn't get the welcome screen. On WinME I used a program
"TweakUI" to automatically sign me onto my desktop. What it did was put in
my log-on password for me to continue loading windows. I don't know if
WinXP can use that program. If you don't mind the old fashion window
log-on, then you're set. I also noticed under system properties | Advanced
tab, there is a section for User Profiles. Now don't walk here because of
me, but I'm wondering if by deleting the "information" about an individual
profile settings would help. I'm curious if any of the information in this
section might be contradicting, or interfering, with your new prefered
setting. There's a delete button there, but what does it delete? Just the
profile settings and not the user, or what? Something to look into.
Best wishes,
Kevin
Disclaimer: I am not formally instructed in this matter so please take
caution by attempting to research more by yourself, or seek professional
help.

"Barry" <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Looking for help as to how to bypass the Sign-On & Welcome screens. Would
> like to turn on computer and let it boot directly to the Desktop. I've
tried
> recommendations from a previous posting, i.e., Run: control
userpasswords2,
> and followed the directions, however, when I reboot I get the Log On To
> Windows screen (filled in with name and password), however, it has a Log
On
> Message screen on top of it stating: "The system could not log on. Make
sure
> your user name and domain are correct then type your password again.
Letters
> in passwords must be typed using correct case." I click the 'OK' button
and
> it proceeds to boot to the Welcome screen (the one I'm trying to bypass).
> click on my name and it then proceeds to boot to the Desktop. Appreciate
> assistance. Thanks.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"General Mailbox" wrote:

> off", you shouldn't get the welcome screen. On WinME I used a program
> "TweakUI" to automatically sign me onto my desktop. What it did was put in
> my log-on password for me to continue loading windows. I don't know if
> WinXP can use that program.

there is a version of tweakUI for xp on the microsoft downloads site
i think it is under powertoys.
but yes it does let you put in your password so it will log you on
automatically

Microsoft should of packaged TweakUI with winxp...it is very handy.

Barry

Making Progress but. . . . I have managed to figure out the 'unchecking'
part about the Welcome Screen (should have seen this before). Now the only
thing I'm getting when trying to boot directly to the Desktop that is
stopping this is the Sign On screen with the Log On message on top of it. I
discovered an odd thing here though. I check 'OK' on the Log On message that
removes it, leaving the Sign On screen that has my name automatically filled
in but the Password part is blank. I try to fill the password and get the
Log On error message again. I then tried just clicking the OK button
without filling in the Password (leaving that part blank), and 'Bingo' the
system accepts this format and continues to bootup. Very weird. Now I just
have to figure out this part of the puzzle. Thanks again for the input.

"Barry" wrote:

> Looking for help as to how to bypass the Sign-On & Welcome screens. Would
> like to turn on computer and let it boot directly to the Desktop. I've tried
> recommendations from a previous posting, i.e., Run: control userpasswords2,
> and followed the directions, however, when I reboot I get the Log On To
> Windows screen (filled in with name and password), however, it has a Log On
> Message screen on top of it stating: "The system could not log on. Make sure
> your user name and domain are correct then type your password again. Letters
> in passwords must be typed using correct case." I click the 'OK' button and
> it proceeds to boot to the Welcome screen (the one I'm trying to bypass). I
> click on my name and it then proceeds to boot to the Desktop. Appreciate
> assistance. Thanks.

Barry

GOT IT!!!!! YEA!!!!! Essentially, the system has stored in it 'somewhere'
that a password is not required(????) So, I ran 'control userpasswords2' and
unchecked the box, entered my name BUT no password. Closed, rebooted
directly to Desktop. Life is good. Thanks to those who responded.