This is something I've noticed in Windows XP Pro., XP Home and 2000, on
multiple machines, for a couple of years now, and it amazes me that it hasn't
been caught and fixed. I often work right out of Windows Explorer, and
create lots of directories and subdirectories. This has to do with an
extremely minor user slip-up during such creation that CRASHES Windows
Explorer. It happens when I have a sticky trackball, or I'm sitting in an
awkward position, or have had too much coffee, or whatever. I've got W.E. up
right now, and I'm going to crash it step-by-step as I write... Off the main
menu, choose 'File'/'New'; 'Folder' will pop up just to the right of 'New'.
Move the mouse cursor over 'Folder', then before clicking, "OOPS!", "slip" it
back up into the Main Menu, say over 'Favorites' or something. W.E. will
freeze for a second or two, with little "busy" circles popping off the mouse
cursor, then a dialog will come up saying how Windows has been forced to
close it, then another will appear about sending a report to Microsoft.
Mighty touchy!!

Can't get mine to do that.........the original File menu and the 'slide out'
Folder menu disappear and the Favorites menu drops down. And I am curious
about the "busy circles" popping off the mouse cursor........what is that??
When I do get anything by the cursor, it is the 'hourglass' icon. Sounds
like something Comet Cursor would put out.
Heirloom, old and just my thoughts, I
could be wrong.

"shadowyfigure8" <shadowyfigure8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is something I've noticed in Windows XP Pro., XP Home and 2000, on
> multiple machines, for a couple of years now, and it amazes me that it
> hasn't
> been caught and fixed. I often work right out of Windows Explorer, and
> create lots of directories and subdirectories. This has to do with an
> extremely minor user slip-up during such creation that CRASHES Windows
> Explorer. It happens when I have a sticky trackball, or I'm sitting in an
> awkward position, or have had too much coffee, or whatever. I've got W.E.
> up
> right now, and I'm going to crash it step-by-step as I write... Off the
> main
> menu, choose 'File'/'New'; 'Folder' will pop up just to the right of
> 'New'.
> Move the mouse cursor over 'Folder', then before clicking, "OOPS!", "slip"
> it
> back up into the Main Menu, say over 'Favorites' or something. W.E. will
> freeze for a second or two, with little "busy" circles popping off the
> mouse
> cursor, then a dialog will come up saying how Windows has been forced to
> close it, then another will appear about sending a report to Microsoft.
> Mighty touchy!!

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

shadowyfigure8 wrote:

> This is something I've noticed in Windows XP Pro., XP Home and 2000, on
> multiple machines, for a couple of years now, and it amazes me that it hasn't
> been caught and fixed. I often work right out of Windows Explorer, and
> create lots of directories and subdirectories. This has to do with an
> extremely minor user slip-up during such creation that CRASHES Windows
> Explorer. It happens when I have a sticky trackball, or I'm sitting in an
> awkward position, or have had too much coffee, or whatever. I've got W.E. up
> right now, and I'm going to crash it step-by-step as I write... Off the main
> menu, choose 'File'/'New'; 'Folder' will pop up just to the right of 'New'.
> Move the mouse cursor over 'Folder', then before clicking, "OOPS!", "slip" it
> back up into the Main Menu, say over 'Favorites' or something. W.E. will
> freeze for a second or two, with little "busy" circles popping off the mouse
> cursor, then a dialog will come up saying how Windows has been forced to
> close it, then another will appear about sending a report to Microsoft.
> Mighty touchy!!

Can't duplicate that here on XP Pro SP2 with all patches. Didn't even
happen when I dripped sticky goo in the trackball, dunked it and myself
in coffee and tried it while standing on my head. Don't think it's an
explorer bug, it's something unique to your system setup.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Doesn't do it here in Windows 2000. Let me check Windows XP SP1...nope.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"shadowyfigure8" <shadowyfigure8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is something I've noticed in Windows XP Pro., XP Home and 2000, on
> multiple machines, for a couple of years now, and it amazes me that it
hasn't
> been caught and fixed. I often work right out of Windows Explorer, and
> create lots of directories and subdirectories. This has to do with an
> extremely minor user slip-up during such creation that CRASHES Windows
> Explorer. It happens when I have a sticky trackball, or I'm sitting in an
> awkward position, or have had too much coffee, or whatever. I've got W.E.
up
> right now, and I'm going to crash it step-by-step as I write... Off the
main
> menu, choose 'File'/'New'; 'Folder' will pop up just to the right of
'New'.
> Move the mouse cursor over 'Folder', then before clicking, "OOPS!", "slip"
it
> back up into the Main Menu, say over 'Favorites' or something. W.E. will
> freeze for a second or two, with little "busy" circles popping off the
mouse
> cursor, then a dialog will come up saying how Windows has been forced to
> close it, then another will appear about sending a report to Microsoft.
> Mighty touchy!!

Jim

"shadowyfigure8" <shadowyfigure8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is something I've noticed in Windows XP Pro., XP Home and 2000, on
> multiple machines, for a couple of years now, and it amazes me that it
hasn't
> been caught and fixed. I often work right out of Windows Explorer, and
> create lots of directories and subdirectories. This has to do with an
> extremely minor user slip-up during such creation that CRASHES Windows
> Explorer. It happens when I have a sticky trackball, or I'm sitting in an
> awkward position, or have had too much coffee, or whatever. I've got W.E.
up
> right now, and I'm going to crash it step-by-step as I write... Off the
main
> menu, choose 'File'/'New'; 'Folder' will pop up just to the right of
'New'.
> Move the mouse cursor over 'Folder', then before clicking, "OOPS!", "slip"
it
> back up into the Main Menu, say over 'Favorites' or something. W.E. will
> freeze for a second or two, with little "busy" circles popping off the
mouse
> cursor, then a dialog will come up saying how Windows has been forced to
> close it, then another will appear about sending a report to Microsoft.
> Mighty touchy!!
Does this event happen after you have fixed your sticky trackball, sat in a
more normal position, or not drank so much coffee? I hate those sticky
trackballs.
Jim

Were these multiple machines with multiple OS's over the years all your
machines, or ones that you use yourself?

I'd be interested to know exactly what you install on a system, or /do/ to
the system that causes it to happen for you - if I had a clue I could
reproduce the results and see for myself, but alas, it doesn't happen for me
on either of these XP SP2 machines in front of me. Maybe I'll start trying
it at work. heh.