Latest LCD review

Flanno

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Jut read the latest LCD shootout on Tom's site and again I am confused over the comments on it's suitability for gaming and video. His comments were negative and there is too much noise for watching video, and too much smearing for gaming. I do not know ONE person who agrees with this, and most of the other websites have given this panel positive revies for gaming too. I guess it's all subjective on whether you see this smearing. But again I do not know anyone who has seen it. Maybe slight ghosting on very fast fps's but still hard to notice Did Toms bother even playing any games on this panel. It's getting hard to trust this sites reviews lately.

flanno when posting is best to explain what youre talking about. since i read your other post abould lcd's and fps gaming i'll assume you are talking about the dell 2405fpw. i also think that image qaulity is subjective and that maybe the reviewer didnt feel it was the same qaulity as the other panels. just so you know i have recently bought the dell and am in the process of building a comp to really test it.

Flanno

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Whoops...yes it was the 2405. I just found Toms review a bit strange in that he mentioned it caused smearing while gaming, but never mentioned which games. It sounds like he didn't even test it with games, and just made the assumption that because of the response time it wasn' suitable.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I'm wondering... did they bother to use a dual link cable? I've heard that the 2405 ships with a single link which just can't handle the native resolution of the panel. I saw the review about "ghosty" video or what not and have seen a thread somewhere where one guy experienced the same thing, but as soon as he bought a dual-link cable, "poof" the shoddy video was gone. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I found out today mine has shipped!!! Woot!

Fritz

Flanno

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
No the dvi cable that comes with it (which is the same as the cable on the 20" widescreen model) works just fine. At least on my panel and the people I know over on the OcUK forums. The picture is superb. You should be fine. I didn't like the standard vga inputs though. Blurry compared to DVI, and the thing kept on autoadjusting and sometimes the fonts didn't come out right. But DVI was excellent.

I still think they didn't bother playing any games at all on this panel. I thought originally it might have been a dud they had, but this is the 2nd review of this panel in 4/5 months. Even the most scathing review has mentioned ghosting is visible to the hardcore gamer (although not to me or anyone I know) but over 90% are very positive about this panel with gaming and video for that matter. So I don't think the statement "It's too slow, displaying annoying smearing..." holds much water.

Incidentally if you have an Xbox 360 premium you will love this panel with the component inputs. Although HD 720p and 1080i are not officially supported by this panel it seems to work just fine, and gives a superb picture. Even the official Xbox 360 mag commented on how well the screen looks at 1080i with the 2405fpw. Of course there is still debate over whether the panel actually outputs a 720p or 1080i signal or is upscaling 480p. Regardless the results are pretty good providing you sit a few feet back, as the aliasiing on the first batch of games is more noticeable on a screen this sharp.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It seems like nobody has a problem with the monitor.

I realize that some people are more sensitive to ghosting than others but I don't see any of it. Maybe they're using low end videocards that can't push out the fps that you'll need on this beast.

Flanno

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Personally I just think it's shoddy reviewing. Not the first time either they reviewed something which went completely against the grain of what other reviews said.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I'm tempted to pick up the 2405, will I have any trouble running games with my computer?

gigabyte k8ns pro
amd 64 3200+ (socket 754, no dual channel)
2x 512 mb geil pc3200 and a stick of 512mb crucial pc 2100 (1.5gb total)
ati x700 256 mb video

I wouldn't mind running this at a smaller rez then 1900x1200.

dhlucke

Polypheme
That x700 is a bit lowend. I know that sucks to hear but you're going to need to replace it sooner than you might think.

Go ahead and test it out and see what you think. I don't know what games you're going to be playing. You can also change the aspect ratio of the monitor so that you can play some games at a lower resolution with black bars on the sides without having to lower the graphics quality. From my experience some games work better than others at this.

I have an x800xl and it's ok but I realized almost right away that I was going to have to upgrade a lot sooner and my card is a lot better than the x700. Nonetheless, the real problem is with fps games and I'm not even sure if you're playing them.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Ok, well I guess it's time to upgrade then. The lcd can wait, i have a nice 21" silicon graphics monitor, so i'm doing ok anyway. Thanks for the info.