Generic Host Win32 error... please help!

Hi,

I need your expert advice on this problem. I have read to many suggestions
but none of them seem to help. My system displays "Generic Host Process for
Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close" when my 4 USB
Hub is plugged-IN. However, the error doesn't appear when the USB Hub is
unplugged.

I tried using the USB Hub on another PC and it works perfectly without any
error.

How can I get rid of that "Generic host..." error? Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Garu
4 answers Last reply
More about generic host win32 error help

    Hi Garu,

    General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Garu" <oas@brunet.bn> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need your expert advice on this problem. I have read to many
    > suggestions but none of them seem to help. My system displays "Generic
    > Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to
    > close" when my 4 USB Hub is plugged-IN. However, the error doesn't appear
    > when the USB Hub is unplugged.
    >
    > I tried using the USB Hub on another PC and it works perfectly without any
    > error.
    >
    > How can I get rid of that "Generic host..." error? Please help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Garu

    Thanks Rick, but this does not fix my problem.

    My USB Hub works perfectly on other PC which has the same OS and software
    installed. I have 6 USB ports on my system and I have tried every single
    one with the USB Hub and same problem persists. Also, my HP All-in-one
    printer works perfectly on any of the USB ports.

    Any other suggestions?

    -garry

    > Hi Garu,
    >
    > General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Garu" <oas@brunet.bn> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need your expert advice on this problem. I have read to many
    >> suggestions but none of them seem to help. My system displays "Generic
    >> Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to
    >> close" when my 4 USB Hub is plugged-IN. However, the error doesn't
    >> appear when the USB Hub is unplugged.
    >>
    >> I tried using the USB Hub on another PC and it works perfectly without
    >> any error.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of that "Generic host..." error? Please help.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Garu

    Hi Garu,

    Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the USB controllers yet? Since you know
    that a) the hub works and b) the existing ports work, then you (probably)
    have a controller issue. The error message doesn't convey this very clearly,
    but's what it's indicating. Also, are all devices the same USB level (1.1 vs
    2.0)?

    --

    > Thanks Rick, but this does not fix my problem.
    >
    > My USB Hub works perfectly on other PC which has the same OS and software
    > installed. I have 6 USB ports on my system and I have tried every single
    > one with the USB Hub and same problem persists. Also, my HP All-in-one
    > printer works perfectly on any of the USB ports.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > -garry

    >> Hi Garu,
    >>
    >> General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Garu" <oas@brunet.bn> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I need your expert advice on this problem. I have read to many
    >>> suggestions but none of them seem to help. My system displays "Generic
    >>> Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to
    >>> close" when my 4 USB Hub is plugged-IN. However, the error doesn't
    >>> appear when the USB Hub is unplugged.
    >>>
    >>> I tried using the USB Hub on another PC and it works perfectly without
    >>> any error.
    >>>
    >>> How can I get rid of that "Generic host..." error? Please help.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>> Garu

    My problem was found to be on my FAT formatted Pendrive in the USB HUB. I
    copied the data to my harddrive and formatted the Pendrive as FAT32.
    Thanks Robert for your help.
    -garry

Win32 USB Windows XP