  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 18, 2005 3:37:56 PM

Hi,

I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
Thanks in advance.

Adrian

More about : remove messenger service window

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Hi,

Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups occur
because your system is exposed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
> annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Adrian

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Adrian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
> annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Adrian

This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
specific steps.

You can test your firewall at:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&...

Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
http://www.sygatetech.com/

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Related resources
June 18, 2005 4:09:53 PM

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean being
hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove that..
but don't remember how.

> Hi,
>
> Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups
occur
> because your system is exposed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just
so
> > annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me
how?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Adrian

June 18, 2005 4:09:54 PM

Adrian wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean being
> hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
> messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove that..
> but don't remember how.

>>Hi,
>>
>>Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups
>
> occur
>
>>because your system is exposed.
>>
>>--
>>Best of Luck,
>>
>>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>>"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just
>
> so
>
>>>annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me
>
> how?
>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Adrian

Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well you could also stop the messenger service from starting at boot. That
will stop it.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
> annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Adrian

June 18, 2005 6:37:49 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"

I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?

Regards,

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o ggDPu7cFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Adrian wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean
being
> > hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
> > messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove
that..
> > but don't remember how.
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups
> >
> > occur
> >
> >>because your system is exposed.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Best of Luck,
> >>
> >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >>"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > so

> > how?

> Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 18, 2005 6:37:50 PM

Adrian wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
>
> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
>
> Regards,
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o ggDPu7cFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Adrian wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean
>
> being
>
>>>hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
>>>messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove
>
> that..
>
>>>but don't remember how.
>>>

>>>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>>occur

>>>so

>>>how?

>>Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
>>

>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block.
Read the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that program.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Adrian wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
>
> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?

Configure Your existing firewall properly, following the
manufacturer's instructions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
June 18, 2005 6:37:51 PM

If you go to www.grc.com they have a great tool called "shoot the
messenger". It gives you the ability to have a desktop icon that you can
use to toggle messenger ON and OFF. This guy has been around for years.
Has LOTS of good stuff and is VERY reputable. It is very enlightening to
run the firewall security tests! I initially got turned on to his site
because I use Iomega ZIP drives, and he had a test to run to verify the
condition of your disks and drive units.

Back to the Messenger thing: Additionally, if you also get the annoying MS
messenger tray icon whenever you open up Outlook Express, you should go to
WindowsUpdate and get the patch... not sure if it is in the security section
or in the "other stuff" area, but it eliminates the requirement to have the
MS Messenger thing (OK, I forget what the blame thing is, I just hate it,
OK?) in the system tray just to use Outlook.

Hope this helps!
--
KWW

> Adrian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
>> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
>>
>> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> news:o ggDPu7cFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

>> being

>> that..

>>>Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
>>>

>>>--
>>>Rock
>>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>>

> See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block. Read
> the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that program.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 6:37:52 PM

You are confusing MS messenger and Windows messenger. They are not the same
thing and the latter should not be turned off. The windows the OP is getting
are the result of having the system exposed to the 'net because the firewall
is not blocking the correct ports. Closing those ports is the solution,
disabling the messenger service is not. MS Messenger can be uninstalled,
disabled, shutdown, etc without incident, but doing so will not resolve the
problem that OP is having.

--

"KWW" <kwalker@nospamaircooled.net> wrote in message
> If you go to www.grc.com they have a great tool called "shoot the
> messenger". It gives you the ability to have a desktop icon that you can
> use to toggle messenger ON and OFF. This guy has been around for years.
> Has LOTS of good stuff and is VERY reputable. It is very enlightening to
> run the firewall security tests! I initially got turned on to his site
> because I use Iomega ZIP drives, and he had a test to run to verify the
> condition of your disks and drive units.
>
> Back to the Messenger thing: Additionally, if you also get the annoying
> MS messenger tray icon whenever you open up Outlook Express, you should go
> to WindowsUpdate and get the patch... not sure if it is in the security
> section or in the "other stuff" area, but it eliminates the requirement to
> have the MS Messenger thing (OK, I forget what the blame thing is, I just
> hate it, OK?) in the system tray just to use Outlook.
>
> Hope this helps!
> --
> KWW
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block
>>> inbound
>>> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
>>>
>>> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o ggDPu7cFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

>>> being

>>> that..

>> See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block.
>> Read the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that
>> program.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 21, 2005 9:45:04 AM

Thank you for being vigilant. I overlooked that.... Gibson even says in his
documentation that they are different. Sorry for posting the wrong info.

--
KWW
> You are confusing MS messenger and Windows messenger. They are not the
> same thing and the latter should not be turned off. The windows the OP is
> getting are the result of having the system exposed to the 'net because
> the firewall is not blocking the correct ports. Closing those ports is the
> solution, disabling the messenger service is not. MS Messenger can be
> uninstalled, disabled, shutdown, etc without incident, but doing so will
> not resolve the problem that OP is having.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "KWW" <kwalker@nospamaircooled.net> wrote in message
>> If you go to www.grc.com they have a great tool called "shoot the
>> messenger". It gives you the ability to have a desktop icon that you can
>> use to toggle messenger ON and OFF. This guy has been around for years.
>> Has LOTS of good stuff and is VERY reputable. It is very enlightening to
>> run the firewall security tests! I initially got turned on to his site
>> because I use Iomega ZIP drives, and he had a test to run to verify the
>> condition of your disks and drive units.
>>
>> Back to the Messenger thing: Additionally, if you also get the annoying
>> MS messenger tray icon whenever you open up Outlook Express, you should
>> go to WindowsUpdate and get the patch... not sure if it is in the
>> security section or in the "other stuff" area, but it eliminates the
>> requirement to have the MS Messenger thing (OK, I forget what the blame
>> thing is, I just hate it, OK?) in the system tray just to use Outlook.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>> --
>> KWW
>>
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block.
>>> Read the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that
>>> program.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rock
>>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:00:03 PM

KWW wrote:
> You are correct in noting that one should secure his/her computer. I would
> politely argue, however, that Gibson's utility does positively contribute
> towards computer security in that it disables a vulnerability.

No, it doesn't contribute anything, and it doesn't disable a
"vulnerability." All is does is turn off a "left-handed" notice that
the vulnerability exists. Turning off the messenger service doesn't
even really stop the messenger service spam (much less any true
threats), it justs stops the display of the spam. It other words, it
does nothing except *hide* the problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: