How to remove messenger service window?

Hi,

I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
Thanks in advance.

Adrian
12 answers Last reply
More about remove messenger service window

    Hi,

    Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups occur
    because your system is exposed.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
    > annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Adrian

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
    137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
    may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
    to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean being
    hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
    messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove that..
    but don't remember how.

    Adrian wrote:

    > Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean being
    > hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
    > messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove that..
    > but don't remember how.

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Turn on the firewall, don't turn off the messenger service. The popups
    >
    > occur
    >
    >>because your system is exposed.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best of Luck,
    >>
    >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >>"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just
    >
    > so
    >
    >>>annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me
    >
    > how?
    >
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>Adrian

    Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Well you could also stop the messenger service from starting at boot. That
    will stop it.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know why the messenger service window always pops up, it's just so
    > annoying, I remember there's a way to remove it. Can anybody tell me how?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Adrian

    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
    NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"

    I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?

    Regards,

    Adrian wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
    > NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
    >
    > I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Adrian wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by system is exposed? you mean
    >
    > being
    >
    >>>hacked? How can I solve that? My firewall has already turned on, but
    >>>messager service still comes in. I remember there's a way to remove
    >
    > that..
    >
    >>>but don't remember how.
    >>>

    >>>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >>>occur

    >>>so

    >>>how?

    >>Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
    >>

    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block.
    Read the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that program.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
    > NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
    >
    > I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?

    Configure Your existing firewall properly, following the
    manufacturer's instructions.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    If you go to www.grc.com they have a great tool called "shoot the
    messenger". It gives you the ability to have a desktop icon that you can
    use to toggle messenger ON and OFF. This guy has been around for years.
    Has LOTS of good stuff and is VERY reputable. It is very enlightening to
    run the firewall security tests! I initially got turned on to his site
    because I use Iomega ZIP drives, and he had a test to run to verify the
    condition of your disks and drive units.

    Back to the Messenger thing: Additionally, if you also get the annoying MS
    messenger tray icon whenever you open up Outlook Express, you should go to
    WindowsUpdate and get the patch... not sure if it is in the security section
    or in the "other stuff" area, but it eliminates the requirement to have the
    MS Messenger thing (OK, I forget what the blame thing is, I just hate it,
    OK?) in the system tray just to use Outlook.

    Hope this helps!
    --
    KWW

    > Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block inbound
    >> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
    >>
    >> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >> being

    >> that..

    >>>Messenger Service window that contains an Internet advertisement appears
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Rock
    >>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>>

    > See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block. Read
    > the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that program.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You are confusing MS messenger and Windows messenger. They are not the same
    thing and the latter should not be turned off. The windows the OP is getting
    are the result of having the system exposed to the 'net because the firewall
    is not blocking the correct ports. Closing those ports is the solution,
    disabling the messenger service is not. MS Messenger can be uninstalled,
    disabled, shutdown, etc without incident, but doing so will not resolve the
    problem that OP is having.

    --

    "KWW" <kwalker@nospamaircooled.net> wrote in message
    > If you go to www.grc.com they have a great tool called "shoot the
    > messenger". It gives you the ability to have a desktop icon that you can
    > use to toggle messenger ON and OFF. This guy has been around for years.
    > Has LOTS of good stuff and is VERY reputable. It is very enlightening to
    > run the firewall security tests! I initially got turned on to his site
    > because I use Iomega ZIP drives, and he had a test to run to verify the
    > condition of your disks and drive units.
    >
    > Back to the Messenger thing: Additionally, if you also get the annoying
    > MS messenger tray icon whenever you open up Outlook Express, you should go
    > to WindowsUpdate and get the patch... not sure if it is in the security
    > section or in the "other stuff" area, but it eliminates the requirement to
    > have the MS Messenger thing (OK, I forget what the blame thing is, I just
    > hate it, OK?) in the system tray just to use Outlook.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    > --
    > KWW
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Adrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Thanks for your reply. The resolution is "Install firewall, block
    >>> inbound
    >>> NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer"
    >>>
    >>> I got a McCafee firewall installed, but how can I block those traffic?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>> being

    >>> that..

    >> See the end of that article. It talks about specific ports to block.
    >> Read the McAfee manual or ask on an McAfee site. I don't use that
    >> program.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rock
    >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you for being vigilant. I overlooked that.... Gibson even says in his
    documentation that they are different. Sorry for posting the wrong info.

    --
    KWW

    KWW wrote:
    > You are correct in noting that one should secure his/her computer. I would
    > politely argue, however, that Gibson's utility does positively contribute
    > towards computer security in that it disables a vulnerability.

    No, it doesn't contribute anything, and it doesn't disable a
    "vulnerability." All is does is turn off a "left-handed" notice that
    the vulnerability exists. Turning off the messenger service doesn't
    even really stop the messenger service spam (much less any true
    threats), it justs stops the display of the spam. It other words, it
    does nothing except *hide* the problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: