desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear

June 17, 2005 10:47:26 PM

Hi,

After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I used Ad-aware and
spybot to remove all the junks. I then reinstalled the XP
pro and it is no use (I tried both new installation and repair). Is there a
program to display the desktop? I can access task manager and cmd. I can
use explorer.exe if I rename it. I can also use IE to access the web if I
rename it. If I run explorer.exe and IE without changing names, the Windows
XP can't find them. Could you help me?

Thanks.
June 18, 2005 10:27:59 AM

If you still have that problem after a 'new' installation, then you did not
format the drive & reinstall. I suggest you do it again, you need to DELETE
the partition at the appropriate screen (not the tiny 8 meg typical one,
windows will make that on it's own) then install XP into the Unpartitioned
Space that you will see once removing the partition.

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

"§Chrissi§" <anubisofthydeath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
> the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I used Ad-aware and
> spybot to remove all the junks. I then reinstalled the XP
> pro and it is no use (I tried both new installation and repair). Is there
> a program to display the desktop? I can access task manager and cmd. I
> can use explorer.exe if I rename it. I can also use IE to access the web
> if I rename it. If I run explorer.exe and IE without changing names, the
> Windows XP can't find them. Could you help me?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:02:02 PM

Format the drive and go for a clean installation.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
regards,
ssg MS-MVP

!