desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear

Hi,

After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I used Ad-aware and
spybot to remove all the junks. I then reinstalled the XP
pro and it is no use (I tried both new installation and repair). Is there a
program to display the desktop? I can access task manager and cmd. I can
use explorer.exe if I rename it. I can also use IE to access the web if I
rename it. If I run explorer.exe and IE without changing names, the Windows
XP can't find them. Could you help me?

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons start button appear

    If you still have that problem after a 'new' installation, then you did not
    format the drive & reinstall. I suggest you do it again, you need to DELETE
    the partition at the appropriate screen (not the tiny 8 meg typical one,
    windows will make that on it's own) then install XP into the Unpartitioned
    Space that you will see once removing the partition.

    --
    ~*Kim*~

    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

    "§Chrissi§" <anubisofthydeath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
    > the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I used Ad-aware and
    > spybot to remove all the junks. I then reinstalled the XP
    > pro and it is no use (I tried both new installation and repair). Is there
    > a program to display the desktop? I can access task manager and cmd. I
    > can use explorer.exe if I rename it. I can also use IE to access the web
    > if I rename it. If I run explorer.exe and IE without changing names, the
    > Windows XP can't find them. Could you help me?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Format the drive and go for a clean installation.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    "§Chrissi§" <anubisofthydeath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After I used Norton Antivirus to delete SMSSU.exe virus and reboot the PC,
    > the desktop (icons and Start button) does not appear. I used Ad-aware and
    > spybot to remove all the junks. I then reinstalled the XP
    > pro and it is no use (I tried both new installation and repair). Is there
    > a program to display the desktop? I can access task manager and cmd. I
    > can use explorer.exe if I rename it. I can also use IE to access the web
    > if I rename it. If I run explorer.exe and IE without changing names, the
    > Windows XP can't find them. Could you help me?
    >
    > Thanks.

Internet Explorer Desktop Icons Windows XP