1990: Agfa was the leader for Photo Pros. And now who else ?

bestofcomputer

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
In 1990, Agfa was the only leader in the Professionnal Market of Photo Scanning + Magazine Scanning, because they had the best Optics, the best Engine, the best Chrominance, the best Clarity, the Purest Colors, the best Color Fidelity, and the best Drivers (with de-interlacing of Magazine Photos, which contain Weaves of CMYK Dots, as opposite as Photos that contain Contigus Tone of Colours).
But then, competitors came more and more, with a new ultra-slim technology, with a new lightning method inside the scanner, and new digital capture of the Photos, and with more and more cheap prices !
As a result, Agfa abandonned completely the Mainstream Market, and only continued the Ultra-Pro Market.
So, now that Agfa is no more out there, who else would you recommend, for Pros, as a best replacement of the legendary Quality of Agfa ?
- Umax ? Which Model ? Remember that Agfa was making the Engine of its own Scanners by Umax Manufactures...
- HP ? Which Model ? Remember that HP was an excellent contender to the quality of Agfa entry level models...
- Epson ? Could we call them Pros ? Which Model ?
- Canon ? Could we call them Pros ? Which Model ?
And, what do you think of the multifunctions ?
Do they have a Pro Scanner built-in ?
Or I should avoid these models for a Pro Use ?
Thanks.

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To bestofcomputer,

Todays scanner market has a plethora of models and a huge range of pricing.
Price range can go from $50 to $5000-------without you specifying what you need, its really hard to make any recommendations. But in general, scanning small things like a 35mm slide or negative is the most daunting tasks the average person will face-------or so goes the general advice in the April/05 issue of consumer reports. Cu editors choice models are the Epson 2480 and the Canon 8400F--both scanners in the $100 range.----spend 1.5 to 3x more and you can get higher resolution------but very little more can be seen in output over a 300dpi resolution that any scanner more than offers unless the scanned object is very small. ---and scanner file size gets huge really fast.

Another site to check out would be Steves digicams------sort of a photo printing site with a forum section on scanners-----but be warned----some of these users think nothing of spending really big bucks to get small improvements iin output quality.

bestofcomputer

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
Hi.
Thanks for you reply.
I can precise my needs :
My needs are as follow :
- Photo + Magazine + Negative + Diapo Scanning for a Profesionnal Use, in an advertising Prefession.
- 48 bits internal + EXTERNAL !!!
- 4800 DPI OPTIC !
- Option for Negatives / Diapos.
- Optical Density = 3.0 Minimum
- Driver with de-interlacing Weaves from Magazine Photos.
I remember that when Agfa was the King, it was out the question to go for an Epson or even a Canon : Pros would have laughted at you !
So, now, I still hesitate when I am adviced to go for an Epson, or a Canon...
Have they really improved ?
I was believing that only German Umax was on the high end now.
But maybe I am wrong...
So, what could you suggest me now ?
Thanks.

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To bestofcomputers,

Your needs are out of my league---so I defer this question to real scanning experts---or you might poll some people in the same profession.

But I am guessing you may spend some big bucks and hence some real research will be needed to avoid getting burned on something that won't meet all your needs.

bestofcomputer

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
Hi.
I have read a review and the best scanner for pro use is :
Microtek ScanMaster i900 Digital ICE.
It's a Tawain Company.
But it is also represented by Umax in Europe.
So, now I have my answer, and I share it with you.
But be aware that this model may not yet be available everywhere, and for now, only in Asia...
Thanks.
Bye.