ALIENWARE M17x RELEASED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks ok, not really a fan of the whole Alien thing, but not bad overall. It's overpriced (big surprise there) and it comes with Alienware's support which can be questionable at times. Still has the Dell M1730 beat. :D

I meant on looks, because IMO the Dell is @ss ugly. If I was going to spend that much on a laptop, I think I would just suck it up and get the Clevo D901C. Call me a Clevo/Sager whore, but my laptop has me sold on the company should I ever need to buy a laptop again.

Yeah Desktop CPU + Dual 8800M GTX + 4GB RAM + 3xHDD +1920x1200 res
Its a solid laptop and cheaper than M17x and M1730
if i had the money i would definitely go for a SAGER NP9262 and i would even sell my PC for it because i would get something faster than my current Desktop which has E6600+8800GTX+4GB RAM + 500GB HDD
Sager NP9262 is really a beast

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Alienware and Dell can both DIAF as far as I'm concerned. Bad customer support. Overpriced product. My buddy shelled out $2300 for a laptop, the video card literally melted, with liquid coming out if the memory chips. Alienware would not stand behind their product and couldn't give him a good answer as to why it was burning up. They sent him a new videocard, which he installed himself, even though its under waranty. He tried playing some different games, laptop started to over heat, so he quit. Called Alienware back, they will NOT fix his laptop. Laptop is still under warranty, but it used for nothing a web browsing machine as the video card will literally melt if he tries to do anything other than desktop stuff.

Sager 9262 is a far better machine. Just as fast. Better customer support. And probably somewhere around $500 cheaper in cost. Sager also sells a 5793 which is nothing but a non-SLI, non-RAID version of the 9262. Great machine under $2500 with a 3 year warranty.

Hell, I think the Gateway for what, $1500-1600 with the 8800 video card in it, is a better deal than the Alienware or Dell.

People need to stop being sheep.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Kind of hard to pit Alienware vs. Dell, isn't it? They both fall under the same parent companies: Dell.

It's like arguing about a GM truck vs a Chevy truck...pretty much all have the same look, guts and performance when you click the same check boxes.

sailer

Splendid
I bought an Alienware back in 2001. Great machine, great service, not a bad price at all. You got to pick out almost everything back then, even the case. Now all that's changed and I would touch an Alienware, unless it was given to me. I suppose if someone liked the new case style they could pick one up on ebay for a couple hundred dollars and rebuild it. I wouldn't, but someone else might.

I talked to Alienware when I was looking for a laptop. I had some questions regarding the highend notebook they had at the time the 9750 and the response was basically "unless you are willing to shell out some cash, I don't feel like talking to you". Major turn off IMO.

It's nice to see some of the mainstream enthusiasts start to frequent the laptop section now. I like the company :)

Rubix: You can compare them when they are technically still two separate devisions, shelling out the same basic product for a bloated price. The only thing I was comparing the Dell to was in terms of looks. The M1730 is ugly. <-------That's PERIOD. lol

G

Way overpriced. They charge over $1500 for 8800GTX SLI. Way overcharge on memory and hard drives as well.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Id like to see the manufacturers sack up for a change. Get all these so-called high performance, high dollar notebook producers together once, and then benchmark them against each other. Get a Dell, Alienware, Falcon NW, Hypersonic and any other of these other high dollar laptop companies together. Throw a couple of lower buck laptops with the same specs as the above machines into the mix. Then say "Ready - fight"

I think the boutique machines would be faster, but not $1000 faster. Id rather take a 2% performance hit than get ripped off. Companies like Alienware make their money off of morons with too much money that are too lazy to go ask some questions somewhere.

Keep it up sheep! You further the business of companies like Alienware, Dell and Apple.

Falcon-NW and Hypersonic use Clevo units...they would perform about the same. But they would beat the Dell and Alienware due to lack of bloatware and higher grade parts (better memory, etc). I would love to see Dell and Alienware get their @sses handed to them by a cheaper unit from a lesser known company. I would laugh and laugh and laugh. :lol:

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Yup, I know the Falcon and Hypersonic laptops are Clevos. The point here would be to show how bad Falcon and Hyper are hosing their customers against say a company like Powernotebooks or Xotic PC that are selling a Sager for $1k less.

Most entertainment notebooks (17'' ones at least) have them. Mine does, my brothers Inspiron 9300 does. They are still laptop speakers though, and generally suck.

Kaldor: I agree that those companies can be rip offs. People buy from them though for the 1) name and 2) purchasing experience and support. Small boutiques tend to have better sales and service compared to larger companies. There are also companies like Killernotebooks, who add mods to the laptops to help them run cooler and better. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

I know you probably know all this, just making my point.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Yup I like to keep up on my hardware. I just wish that people would wise up. But I guess "theres a sucker born every minute" definitely applies.

Im praying that AMD/ATI can pull it together and make a decent mobile chipset. Would drive down the costs of high performance laptop quite a bit. Nvidia has been the king for 3 years now.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008

Good to know. My current laptop is a 486-DX2 that's been sitting in my closet for the past 8 years or so.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
actually for an alienware this isnt tat expensive. remember the old sli 7950 gtx with a single core turion cpu costed around $4500. I was looking at the m17x and built it to $3500 (sli 8800gtx, and t9300) didnt buy the extra ram, $150 for a xtra 1gb? no thanks! ill buy 2x2gb from newegg for around $100. The dell xps1730 is also cheap, $3300 (after a $300 off coupon, the 25% off xps was expired.) its still expensive but not like b4, maybe dell figured out that moms are tired of paying $4k+ for a laptop for their spoiled brat kids. I just saw sager and tats a bit expensive too, but it can carry a q6600.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
gaming laptops are the biggest rip off ever you pay 5 grand and get ramd up the butt by alienware then you have 20min battery life and overheating problems. whats the point of a gaming laptop if you can only use it 20min unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.