Want to reformat but don't have boot disc.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I want to reformat my PC but I don't have the original Windows XP boot disc
(it's a family computer so it might havebeen lost). Can I use any of the
Windows XP boot discs like are on eBay for $5, or is there a certain kind I
need? I don't want to mess up my computer.

As far as I know, you have to have the disk that has the Windows operating
system on it. If it was supplied to you by the manufacturer of the
computer, then you might ask them to send you another copy. If they have
you in their records as a customer, they "may" send it to you and may be
with a cost too.
Why is it that you want to reformat anyway? Have you tried to fix the
problem(s) first?
Kevin

Jason wrote:
> I want to reformat my PC but I don't have the original Windows XP
> boot disc (it's a family computer so it might havebeen lost). Can I
> use any of the Windows XP boot discs like are on eBay for $5, or is
> there a certain kind I need? I don't want to mess up my computer.

Silly question, but what are you gonna re-install Windows with after
formatting?

I feel I have to ask, since you have already shown your stupidity by
even considering to pay for a boot disk.

If you don't want to mess up your computer, find someone much brighter
than you have demonstrated yourself to be. A computer professional
perhaps.

You are the most dangerous kind of computer user, one that is knows
enough to really f*$k up a computer, but not bright enough to fix their
own mistakes.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

More important than the boot disk is that you need the Activation Key.
if your computer is a name brand computer and winxp came with it, you most
likely have the key on a sticker on the side or back of the computer. In
which case you would have a restore disk that installs everything that came
with your computer. Compaqs and Hewet Packards dont come with disks anymore,
they are stored on the computer and will ask you to make them yourself. if
you have a compaq or hp and haven't made the disks (its about 7 disks) you
can press f10 when the computer is booting and it will take you to the system
restore.

if that isn't the case, the disk you need is going to be with the computer
manuals and usually in a green folder labled windows xp...sometimes your
activation code will be there too.

but without the activation code you could only use windows for 30 days then
it will lock you out.
and the activation codes are specific for certain cd versions so if you
purchase a cd from someone else it is likely that you cant use your code
anyway.

I hope this helps.
- Greg

Jason wrote:
> I want to reformat my PC but I don't have the original Windows XP boot disc
> (it's a family computer so it might havebeen lost). Can I use any of the
> Windows XP boot discs like are on eBay for $5, or is there a certain kind I
> need? I don't want to mess up my computer.

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer for a replacement.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: