surface scan

Hi All,

Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
"Thorough" scan (surface scan)?

--Tony
17 answers Last reply
More about surface scan

    Look under chkdsk in your help section. That's the replacement for
    scandisk.
    B.rgds,
    Kevin

    "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    > "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >
    > --Tony

    "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    > "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >
    > --Tony

    So, did you actually try using the included help (Start -> Help and
    Support) and search on "scandisk". The search will work but that's not
    what you use in NT-based Windows.

    Depending on which one you are looking for:
    There's chkdsk - Go to Start/Run and enter cmd then enter chkdsk /? then hit
    Enter for all the options. Enter exit, then enter to leave the command
    module.

    Also there is the System File Checker sfc /scannow which is explained here:

    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    > "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >
    > --Tony

    To check your C: Drive open a command prompt window. Then type in chkdsk c:
    /r (including the spaces). You will get a message that the drive is in use
    and can not be locked. Do you want to perform a check during the next boot
    cycle. Say yes. Exit the window and reboot. The check will be performed.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    > "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >
    > --Tony

    Anthony Ewell <aewell@gbis.com> wrote:

    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk

    Start > Run:
    %systemroot%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/chkdsk.htm

    --
    d-d

    "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anthony Ewell <aewell@gbis.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    >
    > Start > Run:
    > %systemroot%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/chkdsk.htm
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    Must be a Unix guy :-) Wouldn't Start -> Run -> Help and Support -> chkdsk
    be a little easier.

    Kerry

    > "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Anthony Ewell <aewell@gbis.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    >>
    >> Start > Run:
    >> %systemroot%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/chkdsk.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> d-d
    >
    > Must be a Unix guy :-) Wouldn't Start -> Run -> Help and Support -> chkdsk
    > be a little easier.

    Whoops, even easier Start -> Help and Support -> chkdsk

    Kerry

    Anthony Ewell wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    > "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >
    > --Tony

    Hi All,

    I posted the above in a different posting. I got
    a lot of hits but no one directly answered the
    question. I was told to look up the options
    on chkdsk and to use the /r option.

    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable
    information (implies /F).

    Question: is "chkdsk /r" a surface scan? And, is
    it equivalent to 9x's scandisk "Thorough" scan?

    It really sounds to me like they are not the same
    thing; sounds like it is looking for errors in
    active data, not both data and empty space.
    For one thing, scandisk's "Thorough"? takes
    10 time as long.

    Please enlighten me.

    Many thanks,
    --Tony

    Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    > Must be a Unix guy :-) Wouldn't Start -> Run -> Help and Support ->
    > chkdsk be a little easier.

    Not really. You don't know where the OP comes from and the Help and
    Support Center differs depending on the language. In German for
    instance, "chkdsk" winds up with 2 hits. The first one refers to
    the recovery console parameters only and therefore, I was posting
    *that* way to ensure that the OP opens the other (correct) one.

    --

    > Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >
    >> Must be a Unix guy :-) Wouldn't Start -> Run -> Help and Support ->
    >> chkdsk be a little easier.
    >
    > Not really. You don't know where the OP comes from and the Help and
    > Support Center differs depending on the language. In German for
    > instance, "chkdsk" winds up with 2 hits. The first one refers to
    > the recovery console parameters only and therefore, I was posting
    > *that* way to ensure that the OP opens the other (correct) one.
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    :-)

    Just a bit of Saturday morning sarcasm.

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    > Just a bit of Saturday morning sarcasm.

    Never mind, that's fine with me. ;)
    In addition, I do not like any 'over-engineering' either,
    unless there is a (good) reason.

    --
    d-d

    > Anthony Ewell wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    >> "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >>
    >> --Tony
    >

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posted the above in a different posting. I got
    > a lot of hits but no one directly answered the
    > question. I was told to look up the options
    > on chkdsk and to use the /r option.
    >
    > /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable
    > information (implies /F).
    >
    > Question: is "chkdsk /r" a surface scan? And, is
    > it equivalent to 9x's scandisk "Thorough" scan?
    >
    > It really sounds to me like they are not the same
    > thing; sounds like it is looking for errors in
    > active data, not both data and empty space.
    > For one thing, scandisk's "Thorough"? takes
    > 10 time as long.
    >
    > Please enlighten me.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --Tony

    Chkdsk /r does the same thing as scandisk with the thorough option. With
    modern drives if you are seeing bad sectors the drive is probably no good
    and should be replaced. Modern drives have replacement sectors they use
    automatically. Windows (and the user) don't see this until all the spares
    are used. The price of drives has come down to where you have to make a
    judgement call on what your data is worth to you. With large drives under
    $150.00 how much time do you want to spend when the drive ultimately fails
    and you have to rebuild your file system? If chkdsk /r finds bad sectors I
    would recommend downloading the usually free diagnostic software from the
    manufacturer of your hard drive and test the drive. Be sure to back up your
    data first. The act of testing can sometimes cause a marginal drive to fail.

    Kerry

    Kerry Brown wrote:
    > "Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anthony Ewell wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    >>>"Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >>>
    >>>--Tony
    >>

    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >> I posted the above in a different posting. I got
    >>a lot of hits but no one directly answered the
    >>question. I was told to look up the options
    >>on chkdsk and to use the /r option.
    >>
    >> /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable
    >> information (implies /F).
    >>
    >> Question: is "chkdsk /r" a surface scan? And, is
    >>it equivalent to 9x's scandisk "Thorough" scan?
    >>
    >> It really sounds to me like they are not the same
    >>thing; sounds like it is looking for errors in
    >>active data, not both data and empty space.
    >>For one thing, scandisk's "Thorough"? takes
    >>10 time as long.
    >>
    >> Please enlighten me.
    >>
    >>Many thanks,
    >>--Tony
    >>

    > Chkdsk /r does the same thing as scandisk with the thorough option. With
    > modern drives if you are seeing bad sectors the drive is probably no good
    > and should be replaced. Modern drives have replacement sectors they use
    > automatically. Windows (and the user) don't see this until all the spares
    > are used. The price of drives has come down to where you have to make a
    > judgement call on what your data is worth to you. With large drives under
    > $150.00 how much time do you want to spend when the drive ultimately fails
    > and you have to rebuild your file system? If chkdsk /r finds bad sectors I
    > would recommend downloading the usually free diagnostic software from the
    > manufacturer of your hard drive and test the drive. Be sure to back up your
    > data first. The act of testing can sometimes cause a marginal drive to fail.
    >
    > Kerry

    Hi Kerry,

    Thank you for the excellent answer. I have used the "/r"
    option frequently but have never seen any errors on the
    last pass (open space). The drives worked a lot better
    afterwards. This explains it.

    It is also nice to know that (S)ATA's are automatically
    swapping out bad sectors. (I knew this was the case with
    SCSI drives) (Some SATA drives now support command queueing
    too. Cool stuff!)

    --Tony

    Actually, scandisk was not "replaced" by chkdsk in WinXP. No NT
    computer has ever used scandisk; they have ALWAYS used chkdsk. So,
    truthfully, scandisk just went away and chkdsk still exisits.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:12:40 -0700, "General Mailbox"
    <nospam@home.net> wrote:

    >Look under chkdsk in your help section. That's the replacement for
    >scandisk.
    >B.rgds,
    >Kevin
    >
    >"Anthony Ewell" <aewell@gbis.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Is there an XP equivalent to Win 9x's scandisk
    >> "Thorough" scan (surface scan)?
    >>
    >> --Tony

    You asked a question about what was equivelent to scandisk surface scan. You
    got your answer. Now you are fighting and questioning further.

    Go find a better answer yourself!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > You asked a question about what was equivelent to scandisk surface scan. You
    > got your answer. Now you are fighting and questioning further.
    >
    > Go find a better answer yourself!

    Richard!

    Your answer was "how" to run "chkdsk." Not
    what it did.

    To check your C: Drive open a command prompt window.
    Then type in chkdsk c: /r (including the spaces). You
    will get a message that the drive is in use and can not
    be locked. Do you want to perform a check during the
    next boot cycle. Say yes. Exit the window and reboot.
    The check will be performed.

    You need to read questions more closely
    before you jump to a conclusion and answer the
    a question that is not being asked. (It was an
    excellent write up, by the way. I'd keep a copy
    of it around, in case someone needs that question
    answered in the future.)

    --Tony

    I would NOT have told you to do it if it did NOT do what you wanted! Sorry I
    didn't give a full explanation but you can always use the help section for
    full write ups!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    > Richard Urban wrote:
    >> You asked a question about what was equivelent to scandisk surface scan.
    >> You got your answer. Now you are fighting and questioning further.
    >>
    >> Go find a better answer yourself!
    >>

    > Richard!
    >
    > Your answer was "how" to run "chkdsk." Not
    > what it did.
    >
    > To check your C: Drive open a command prompt window.
    > Then type in chkdsk c: /r (including the spaces). You
    > will get a message that the drive is in use and can not
    > be locked. Do you want to perform a check during the
    > next boot cycle. Say yes. Exit the window and reboot.
    > The check will be performed.
    >
    > You need to read questions more closely
    > before you jump to a conclusion and answer the
    > a question that is not being asked. (It was an
    > excellent write up, by the way. I'd keep a copy
    > of it around, in case someone needs that question
    > answered in the future.)
    >
    > --Tony

Microsoft Surface Windows XP Product