Graphics missing when I burn a web page on a CD

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi,

I am backing up my hard drive data on a cd using Sonic software which allows me to burn long file names. Usually I check the cd to make sure that every file and folder is burned Byte to Byte and it has been working fine.

Lately after burning the cd I opened couple of Web Page files and I found out that the Graphics of some of the web page wasn’t there, only the text of the web page was there. Cd showed that every byte was burnt though.

I also noticed that when opening such a web page I was getting the message in the task bar “ Opening Page File “ and it did take a little longer time to open such a web page.

I have not made any changes to my system which could have caused such a problem.

My system specs are as follows.

Dell Dimension 2.6 GHz with Hyper Threading

512 MB DDR 400 GHz RAM

Sony 52 X Burner and LG 40X CDs but I am burning only at a speed of 32X Max and at 10X on CD-RWs.

80 GB SATA Maxtor Hard Disk with 5 Partitions

( I have not changed Page File Settings ) = It is 768 MB for all 5 Drives and that is all assigned to drive C: by the OS an original setting. OS has not assigned any VM ( Page File ) for any of the other 4 Partitions which also brings up a question as to whether I need separate page file for each partition?

Win XP (Home) in First Partition and Data in Rest of the 4 Partitions.

I am burning the data of the Second Partition only.

Please Help.

Thank You.
Greg

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
This is just a shot in the dark as I know nothing about webpages... but could it have something to do with the fact the files are "Read Only" when they are on the CD?

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
As a web developer, I would suggest that the problem exists within the code of the pages themselves. In HTML, there are two types of reference tags: relative and absolute. A relative reference tag includes only the last part of the address of the file being looked for, in this case, your image files. a relative reference looks like (a href="/images/pic.jpg"). An absolute reference includes the entire path, such as (a href="C:\webroot\images\pic.jpg"), which means it is looking specifically for your c drive, or for a www address (a href="http://www.yourhost.com/images/pic.jpg"). If it cannot find the file, you get either a blank space or a picture placeholder on the page, depending on how you have your web browser configured.

So what you need to look at is the reference convention being used in the HTML code to get a better handle on the problem. If you are developing and backing up your own site, absolute references will kill your back-up. Most HTML editors worth their weight can do a site-wide search/replace for all absolute refs; just search for the first part of the absolute ref, such as C:\wwwroot\, and replace it with just a \, which will change ALL c:\wwwroot refs to relative refs without losing any absolute refs you might have to sites outside your own.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Jack
Gem's Friend

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Wow I was way off-base. This looks like an issue that is fer sure not CD/DVD Writer.

Please post back results as I am interested in all resolutions :)
I hate not knowing if the sugestion worked :p