W32MytobED@mm

June 18, 2005 3:50:04 AM

I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum , so
thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted most
of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
google to access various web sites for help.
My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
System is XP pro.
TIA.

--
chartman

More about : w32mytobed

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:35:37 AM

Hi,
One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.

Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
windows registry especially for the IE.
Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
Try to scan in safemode again.

Hope it will work

Kelvin Lin

"chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum , so
> thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted most
> of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
> google to access various web sites for help.
> My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
> web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
> I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
> logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
> Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
> I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
> System is XP pro.
> TIA.
>

> --
> chartman
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:35:38 AM

Is netstat -b specific to Windows XP? I checked in both Windows 2000 and XP
netstat /? and do not see that as a parameter.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>
> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
> windows registry especially for the IE.
> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
> Try to scan in safemode again.
>

> Hope it will work
>
> Kelvin Lin
>
> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum , so
> > thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted most
> > of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
> > google to access various web sites for help.
> > My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
> > web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
> > I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
> > logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
> > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
> > I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
> > System is XP pro.
> > TIA.
> >

> > --
> > chartman

Related resources
June 19, 2005 5:35:39 AM

Yes and works fine here.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is netstat -b specific to Windows XP? I checked in both Windows 2000 and
> XP
> netstat /? and do not see that as a parameter.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
>> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>>
>> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
>> windows registry especially for the IE.
>> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
>> Try to scan in safemode again.
>>

>> Hope it will work
>>
>> Kelvin Lin
>>
>> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum ,
>> > so
>> > thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted
>> > most
>> > of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
>> > google to access various web sites for help.
>> > My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
>> > web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
>> > I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
>> > logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
>> > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
>> > I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
>> > System is XP pro.
>> > TIA.
>> >

>> > --
>> > chartman

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:35:40 AM

Well that is interesting for it doesn't appear in either op sys when netstat
/? is typed in. There is nothing on it. Do you know where that parameter
is described?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> Yes and works fine here.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is netstat -b specific to Windows XP? I checked in both Windows 2000
and
> > XP
> > netstat /? and do not see that as a parameter.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
> >> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
> >>
> >> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
> >> windows registry especially for the IE.
> >> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
> >> Try to scan in safemode again.
> >>

> >> Hope it will work
> >>
> >> Kelvin Lin
> >>
> >> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

June 19, 2005 1:07:28 PM

Kelvin Lin wrote on Sun, 19 Jun 2005:

>One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
>It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>
>Kill all the process that you are not sure of.

Hi Kelvin

I was curious and tried this, but all I see is:

Active Connections
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID

I get the same ouput if I type netstat -o too.

I noticed the help said this -b command can fail if you don't have the
full permissions, but I am the only user and administrator. Any ideas?
It does sound a useful trick.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Hi,

Netstat -b is only available to Windows XP Home or Professional with SP2
installed.

--
Kelvin Lin

> Well that is interesting for it doesn't appear in either op sys when
> netstat
> /? is typed in. There is nothing on it. Do you know where that parameter
> is described?
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
>> Yes and works fine here.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is netstat -b specific to Windows XP? I checked in both Windows 2000
> and
>> > XP
>> > netstat /? and do not see that as a parameter.
>> >
>> > --
>> > George Hester
>> > _______________________________
>> > "Kelvin Lin" <me@webgururox.info> wrote in message

> when

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:07:24 PM

Oh sp2. Well that explains it. Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> Hi,
>
> Netstat -b is only available to Windows XP Home or Professional with SP2
> installed.
>
> --
> Kelvin Lin
>
> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well that is interesting for it doesn't appear in either op sys when
> > netstat
> > /? is typed in. There is nothing on it. Do you know where that
parameter
> > is described?
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Yes and works fine here.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> All the Best,
> >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >>

> >> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > and

> > when

June 19, 2005 8:59:15 PM

Kelvin Lin wrote on Sun, 19 Jun 2005:

>Hi Nightowl,
>
>-b displays the executable involved in creating each connection or listening
>port while -o
>displays the owning process ID associated with each connection..

Hi Kelvin, thanks for your reply. What I was saying, though, is that
when I type netstat -b all I see is this:

Active Connections
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID

Just those two lines. I also get the same with netstat -o.

>With -b, though it's time consuming to load and require users to have
>sufficient permissions, it sometimes allows
>us to see trojans and malwares.
>
>But it's a useful command added by MSFT with XP SP2. ;)

Yes, that's why I'd like to be able to run it :-) As I said I am the
admin and only user, and I do have SP2. Any ideas why it's not working
for me?

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> Kelvin Lin wrote on Sun, 19 Jun 2005:
>
>>One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
>>It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>>
>>Kill all the process that you are not sure of.
>
> Hi Kelvin
>
> I was curious and tried this, but all I see is:
>
> Active Connections
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
>
> I get the same ouput if I type netstat -o too.
>
> I noticed the help said this -b command can fail if you don't have the
> full permissions, but I am the only user and administrator. Any ideas?
> It does sound a useful trick.
>
> --
> Nightowl
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:46:05 AM

I've tried running netstat -b (WinXP Pro w/SP2 + Admin priv). The program
runs.

Problem: The window disappears in aprox. 1 second.
--
Cordially,
Wayne H. Wilhelm

"Kelvin Lin" wrote:

> Hi,
> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>
> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
> windows registry especially for the IE.
> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
> Try to scan in safemode again.
>

> Hope it will work
>
> Kelvin Lin
>
> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum , so
> > thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted most
> > of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
> > google to access various web sites for help.
> > My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
> > web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
> > I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
> > logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
> > Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
> > I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
> > System is XP pro.
> > TIA.
> >

> > --
> > chartman

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:38:25 PM

netstat -b is not a proper command.

Open a command prompt first.

Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK
In the command prompt window type:

netstat -ano

Hit your enter key.

To see netstat HELP, type:

netstat /?

Hit your enter key.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D 0AE01E9-30EC-4FDD-8826-CB88B643E5D9@microsoft.com,
Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> I've tried running netstat -b (WinXP Pro w/SP2 + Admin priv). The program
> runs.
>
> Problem: The window disappears in aprox. 1 second.
> --
> Cordially,
> Wayne H. Wilhelm
> Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com
>

> "Kelvin Lin" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
>> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
>>
>> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
>> windows registry especially for the IE.
>> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
>> Try to scan in safemode again.
>>

>> Hope it will work
>>
>> Kelvin Lin
>>
>> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I got hit by this and I now realise why, having searched this forum , so
>>> thanks. I'm using NAV 2003 and it didn't stop it. Well, I've sorted most
>>> of the problems, including its removal and using "cached" pages via
>>> google to access various web sites for help.
>>> My remaining problem is this. The trojan did something to all the AV
>>> web sites+ Microsoft.com . ( I fixed symantec.com) What happens is when
>>> I goto ,say, microsoft.com, I get a popup asking for a username and
>>> logon ( as if it were an ftp site).
>>> Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this popup?
>>> I've now upgraded to nav2005. :)
>>> System is XP pro.
>>> TIA.
>>>

>>> --
>>> chartman
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:29:01 PM

Thanks! That worked great!
--

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> netstat -b is not a proper command.
>
> Open a command prompt first.
>
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK
> In the command prompt window type:
>
> netstat -ano
>
> Hit your enter key.
>
> To see netstat HELP, type:
>
> netstat /?
>
> Hit your enter key.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D 0AE01E9-30EC-4FDD-8826-CB88B643E5D9@microsoft.com,
> Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > I've tried running netstat -b (WinXP Pro w/SP2 + Admin priv). The program
> > runs.
> >
> > Problem: The window disappears in aprox. 1 second.
> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Wayne H. Wilhelm
> > Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com
> >

> > "Kelvin Lin" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> One thing you can check is, run netstat -b in your command prompt.
> >> It will prompt you with all the process that are connected to internet.
> >>
> >> Kill all the process that you are not sure of. Please also check your
> >> windows registry especially for the IE.
> >> Did you use MSFT Anti-spyware?
> >> Try to scan in safemode again.
> >>

> >> Hope it will work
> >>
> >> Kelvin Lin
> >>
> >> "chartman" <chartman.1qt4dm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:45:04 PM

I love it when a plan comes together. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:55478AA4-F8E9-458C-9910-E856ED86D45D@microsoft.com,
Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Thanks! That worked great!
> --
> Cordially,
> Wayne H. Wilhelm
> Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> netstat -b is not a proper command.
>>
>> Open a command prompt first.
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK
>> In the command prompt window type:
>>
>> netstat -ano
>>
>> Hit your enter key.
>>
>> To see netstat HELP, type:
>>
>> netstat /?
>>
>> Hit your enter key.
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D 0AE01E9-30EC-4FDD-8826-CB88B643E5D9@microsoft.com,
>> Wayne H. Wilhelm <WayneHWilhelm@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
>> pecked:
>>> I've tried running netstat -b (WinXP Pro w/SP2 + Admin priv). The
>>> program runs.
>>>
>>> Problem: The window disappears in aprox. 1 second.
>>> --
>>> Cordially,
>>> Wayne H. Wilhelm
>>> Personal Web: http://www.quadracalc.com

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 9:18:42 PM

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Wayne H. Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>> I've tried running netstat -b (WinXP Pro w/SP2 + Admin priv).
>> The program runs.
>>
>> Problem: The window disappears in aprox. 1 second.
>

> netstat -b is not a proper command.
> (snip)

Hi,

Actually, the -b switch was introduced with SP2 for WinXP.

Help output for netstat.exe on a WinXP SP2 computer:

C:\>netstat /?

Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP network connections.

NETSTAT [-a] [-b] [-e] [-n] [-o] [-p proto] [-r] [-s] [-v] [interval]

-a Displays all connections and listening ports.
-b Displays the executable involved in creating each connection or
listening port. In some cases well-known executables host
multiple independent components, and in these cases the
sequence of components involved in creating the connection
or listening port is displayed. In this case the executable
name is in [] at the bottom, on top is the component it called,
and so forth until TCP/IP was reached. Note that this option
can be time-consuming and will fail unless you have sufficient
permissions.

(snip rest of help listing)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 30, 2005 9:18:43 PM

That explains it then. I do not have XP SP2. I have XP SP1.

This is the *first* thing in XP SP2 that I have seen that even interests
me. ;-)

Thanks, Torgeir.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.