Firmware for a DVD Writer

I just bought a new DVD Writer and I would like to know is there any way to
find out the version of firmware used ?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about firmware writer

    Letting us in on what brand and model you bought would be a good place
    to start, but Nero InfoTool should work with most (if not all) drives
    out there.

    --
    acruxksa

    acruxksa's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=2806
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819082484

    Hi Jason,

    Just a word of precaution: If it works with the existing firmware, there is
    no need to change it. This applies to many things, but most definitely to
    any hard coded devices (firmware, bios, etc.). Any rewrites have the
    potential of rendering the eeprom controller chip (usually cmos) useless if
    there is a failure or error during the write sequence.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a new DVD Writer and I would like to know is there any way to
    >find out the version of firmware used ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Open up the device manager, look at details in Device Properties. Firmware
    revision is there- but the thing doesn't seem as reliable as in 98.

    Jason wrote:
    > I just bought a new DVD Writer and I would like to know is there any
    > way to find out the version of firmware used ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know if this program interest you or not but I use "DVD Decrypter"
    to backup my DVD movies,one feature of this program is firmware updates.
    Select the drive you want to update and right click (from the decrypter
    program) the last option is "update firmware" click on it and the version
    number for that drive is displayed and you will go to a site which will show
    any newer versions for download. I have done this with no problems
    (including a USB drive).
    But as Rick noted, if it's not broke then don't fix it.
    I only did this because I was getting the Blue screen of death everytime I
    used another program and it was reading from any of my optical
    drives.Thankfully it worked!

    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    DVD-RW units usually get Firmware updates to resolve media
    compatibility issues or to improve it's writing capabilities. Currently,
    I have a Plextor PX-708A. When I bought the drive, it shipped
    with Firmware Rev 1.04. The last time I updated, the Firmware
    had reached version 1.10.
    Flashing a DVD/CD unit isn't like Motherboard BIOS and is
    usually done from within Windows. If you do Flash make sure
    that you have it's current Flash code saved. If you do have an
    issue you'll need a path back to a working version. There is some
    danger with flashing, but most "Major" vendor updates can be
    trusted. The utilities generally check that you are using the right
    code modules and won't run against the wrong model, etc.
    Before you ever undertake a Flashing - read the history log or the
    Readme and see if any applicable issues apply to your situation.

    Things move so quickly with CD/DVD burning that it's hard to
    keep up with new technology & Media.

    > Hi Jason,
    >
    > Just a word of precaution: If it works with the existing firmware, there
    > is no need to change it. This applies to many things, but most definitely
    > to any hard coded devices (firmware, bios, etc.). Any rewrites have the
    > potential of rendering the eeprom controller chip (usually cmos) useless
    > if there is a failure or error during the write sequence.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I just bought a new DVD Writer and I would like to know is there any way
    >>to find out the version of firmware used ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    It is a Iomega Super DVD Writer (USB External). From device manager, I find
    that it is Lite On SOHW1673S.

    I have been to Lite On web site but find that SOHW1673S is a ATAPI DVD
    Writer.

    Thanks

    "acruxksa" <acruxksa.1qta2x@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

    > Letting us in on what brand and model you bought would be a good place
    > to start, but Nero InfoTool should work with most (if not all) drives
    > out there.
    >

    > --
    > acruxksa

    > acruxksa's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=2806
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819082484

    Esssentially, ATAPI=IDE. You have an ide connectivity type device in a USB
    enclosure. This is normal.
    Am not sure about how to update the firmware for the DVDRW 16X, double layer
    unless it connected in its native ide connection on the PC. However, the
    liteon site indicates that the firmware updates are for externals as well by
    header title toward the bottom of this webpage.
    http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm
    Unlike a bios flash upgrade, you cannot undo this update. And, if there's a
    power problem during the firmware update, this may render your DVDRW
    useless. If you have any doubts about this firmware update, check with
    Iomega support.

    Word is between media quality and the firmware, be happy at 8X burn speeds
    on DVD Reviews I've read either had special DVD media provided by LiteOn,
    or have the latest firmware already installed by the manufacturer..

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Esssentially, ATAPI=IDE. You have an ide connectivity type device in
    > a USB enclosure. This is normal.
    > Am not sure about how to update the firmware for the DVDRW 16X,
    > double layer unless it connected in its native ide connection on the
    > PC. However, the liteon site indicates that the firmware updates are
    > for externals as well by header title toward the bottom of this
    > webpage. http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm
    > Unlike a bios flash upgrade, you cannot undo this update. And, if
    > there's a power problem during the firmware update, this may render
    > your DVDRW useless. If you have any doubts about this firmware
    > update, check with Iomega support.
    >
    > Word is between media quality and the firmware, be happy at 8X burn
    > speeds on DVD Reviews I've read either had special DVD media
    > provided by LiteOn, or have the latest firmware already installed by
    > the manufacturer..
    >
    > "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It is a Iomega Super DVD Writer (USB External). From device
    >> manager, I find that it is Lite On SOHW1673S.
    >>
    >> I have been to Lite On web site but find that SOHW1673S is a ATAPI
    >> DVD Writer.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> "acruxksa" <acruxksa.1qta2x@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
    >> message news:acruxksa.1qta2x@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...
    >>>
    >>> Letting us in on what brand and model you bought would be a good
    >>> place to start, but Nero InfoTool should work with most (if not
    >>> all) drives out there.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> acruxksa

    >>> acruxksa's Profile:
    >>> http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=2806 View this thread:
    >>> http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819082484

    It is typically not possible to update firmware in an external USB
    drive. It is possible to *attempt* the update, but most vendors warn
    against it since an update failure will kill the drive.

    I agree with those above who say you shouldn't attempt to update the
    firmware unless 1) you are currently having issues. 2) You have a
    truck load of some media type that won't burn now, but does work fine
    after a firmware update 3) have the over powering urge to always live
    life on the bleeding edge, regardless of the potential consequences
    (dead drive, lots of coasters etc.) Personally I fall into catagory #3
    and have updated the firmware on many cdr/dvdr drives. Some with hacked
    firmware to upgrade drive speed/capabilities etc, etc, etc, but If you
    do choose this path, make darned sure you do the research. 'Club CD
    Freaks' (http://club.cdfreaks.com/) is an excellent place to start and
    has links to many other sites with pertinent info.

    --

    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    > > Esssentially, ATAPI=IDE. You have an ide connectivity type device in
    > > a USB enclosure. This is normal.
    > > Am not sure about how to update the firmware for the DVDRW 16X,
    > > double layer unless it connected in its native ide connection on the
    > > PC. However, the liteon site indicates that the firmware updates are
    > > for externals as well by header title toward the bottom of this
    > > webpage. http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm
    > > Unlike a bios flash upgrade, you cannot undo this update. And, if
    > > there's a power problem during the firmware update, this may render
    > > your DVDRW useless. If you have any doubts about this firmware
    > > update, check with Iomega support.
    > >
    > > Word is between media quality and the firmware, be happy at 8X burn
    > > speeds on DVD Reviews I've read either had special DVD media
    > > provided by LiteOn, or have the latest firmware already installed by
    > > the manufacturer..
    > >
    > > "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> It is a Iomega Super DVD Writer (USB External). From device
    > >> manager, I find that it is Lite On SOHW1673S.
    > >>
    > >> I have been to Lite On web site but find that SOHW1673S is a ATAPI
    > >> DVD Writer.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > >> "acruxksa" <acruxksa.1qta2x@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
    > >> message news:acruxksa.1qta2x@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...

    > It is typically not possible to update firmware in an external USB
    > drive. It is possible to *attempt* the update, but most vendors warn
    > against it since an update failure will kill the drive.

    Don't know who the vendor was. The maker of the unit is Iomega. The maker
    of the internal unit is LiteOn per the OP.

Firmware DVD Writers Microsoft Windows XP