hard drive clicking, is it the board?

andrezen

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
my hard drive recently stopped responding and is making a clicking noise, it is a western digital 120 gig special edition. if i replace the board with an identical drive with the same manufacture date, will that fix the problem? thanks for any input.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'd bet money against it fixing the problem...clicking means mechanical a GREAT majority of the time.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

andrezen

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
seems like it to me too, but when i swapped the boards with a similar drive, both drives made the same noise, the new drive with the old board and the old drive with the new board, but when switched back the new drive worked fine.

andrezen

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
i have tried two boards, the first was from the same model hard drive but because the screw holes in the boards didn't all match up, it must have been a different revision, the second was from the same model hard drive and within about 3 months of the originals manufacture date, however the drive that board came from had only one torx head screw under the label on the back and the original drive has two, so, again probably a different revision. Thanks for the responses.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Ditch it. Just RMA the drive or bin it. There's no way you're going to want to keep anything worth having on a dodgy drive.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No ! Changeing the board won't help. I am on my Third Wd1200JB drive and I have the same problem. Go to WD's web site get a RMA and send it back they have two programs one with a credit card number they will send you one before they get the old one. They will send you a recertified one in return.Both of my recertified ones have the same problems that the one I sent back had so good Luck.

andrezen

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
i know the drive is gunna have permenant probs but i desperatly need the data off of it. WDs people said they would cahrge me up to $1300 to do it and i can't do that. any other ideas?