HDD partitioning with WinXP question

Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
would be appreciated.
14 answers Last reply
More about partitioning winxp question

    Lucite Lizard wrote:

    > Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    > using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    > allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    > HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    > use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    > CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    > install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    > recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    > would be appreciated.

    Fat32 is showing its age and should not generally be used with newer
    larger hard drives. Instead use NTFS (NT File System) which is the
    default now since Windows 2000.

    HTH's

    --
    --Donovan

    Yes, it will work. This is valid to 64GB for the Win98's fdisk. There is
    an updated version that works up to 128GB at the MS site.. Such partitions
    can have access from a msdos boot floppy diskette.

    NTFS is a better file system for a myriad of reasons. XP's NTFS is the 3rd
    version of NTFS. However, such partitions are not visible from a msdos
    boot floppy diskette.
    "Lucite Lizard" <lzrd@reptileworld.org> wrote in message
    > Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    > using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    > allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    > HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    > use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    > CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    > install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    > recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    > would be appreciated.

    You are asking the wrong question.
    Fdisk does not support drives over 127 GB.
    http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/

    Use the XP cd to format and partition the drive on one of the drive
    manufactures programs.
    http://www.48bitlba.com/tools.htm
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Lucite Lizard" <lzrd@reptileworld.org> wrote in message
    > Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    > using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    > allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    > HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    > use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    > CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    > install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    > recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    > would be appreciated.

    The 64GB and 128GB limits apply to the maximum size of the partition and the
    disk itself.
    You can only create partitions to the maximum disk limit.
    Fdisk will limit the maximum disk size to 128GB.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    In news:lpp7b15ba9luo3jf5hjgs33245u215fdma@4ax.com,
    Lucite Lizard <lzrd@reptileworld.org> typed:

    > Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the
    > HDD
    > using the FAT32 file system.

    Why? NTFS is generally better, especially for a drive as large as
    yours.

    > However, I have read that WinXP will not
    > allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32.

    No, it won't *create* FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. If you
    insist on having FAT32, you can first create partitions
    externally using a Windows 98/Me boot diskette.

    > Since my new
    > HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions
    > if I
    > use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old
    > Win98
    > CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and
    > then
    > install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP
    > still
    > recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly?

    Yes, yes, and yes.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > The 64GB and 128GB limits apply to the maximum size of the partition and
    the
    > disk itself.

    You may be right. I used System Commander's partitioning software to create
    FAT32 partitions on a 200GB hard drive.

    > You can only create partitions to the maximum disk limit.
    > Fdisk will limit the maximum disk size to 128GB.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > Yes, it will work. This is valid to 64GB for the Win98's fdisk. There
    is
    > > an updated version that works up to 128GB at the MS site.. Such
    > > partitions
    > > can have access from a msdos boot floppy diskette.
    > >
    > > NTFS is a better file system for a myriad of reasons. XP's NTFS is the
    3rd
    > > version of NTFS. However, such partitions are not visible from a msdos
    > > boot floppy diskette.
    > > "Lucite Lizard" <lzrd@reptileworld.org> wrote in message
    > >> Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    > >> using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    > >> allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    > >> HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    > >> use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    > >> CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    > >> install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    > >> recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    > >> would be appreciated.

    Hmm, I succesfully made 255 Gb partition using fdisk.

    --
    éÇÏÒØ ìÅÊËÏ (Igor Leyko) MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    ipigl@redline.ru
    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > The 64GB and 128GB limits apply to the maximum size of the partition and
    > the disk itself.
    > You can only create partitions to the maximum disk limit.
    > Fdisk will limit the maximum disk size to 128GB.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, it will work. This is valid to 64GB for the Win98's fdisk. There
    >> is
    >> an updated version that works up to 128GB at the MS site.. Such
    >> partitions
    >> can have access from a msdos boot floppy diskette.
    >>
    >> NTFS is a better file system for a myriad of reasons. XP's NTFS is the
    >> 3rd
    >> version of NTFS. However, such partitions are not visible from a msdos
    >> boot floppy diskette.
    >> "Lucite Lizard" <lzrd@reptileworld.org> wrote in message
    >>> Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    >>> using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    >>> allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    >>> HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    >>> use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    >>> CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    >>> install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    >>> recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    >>> would be appreciated.

    What cluster size did you use?
    Are you using the partition for the operating system?
    Do scandisk and defrag work on that partition?
    --
    Ron Sommer

    > What cluster size did you use?
    > Are you using the partition for the operating system?
    > Do scandisk and defrag work on that partition?
    > --
    > Ron Sommer

    > (Igor Leyko)" <ipigl@redline.ru> wrote in message
    >> Hmm, I succesfully made 255 Gb partition using fdisk.

    Ron:
    Leaving aside the reason(s) why the OP wants to create FAT32 partitions in
    an XP environment...

    Igor is correct in that there is no problem with FDISK creating FAT32
    partitions greater than 128 GB. The problem is that in a Win9x/Me
    environment scandisk and defrag (as you infer) will not work reliably if the
    partition is greater than 128 GB. Whether this "unreliability" would hold
    true using the XP OS I really don't know. It's difficult to imagine why a
    user would be creating FAT32 partitions > 128 GB in an XP environment.
    Anna

    Ron,
    I did this just for a test.
    Fdisk did it.
    Cluster size is setted during formatting not creating partition. Just for
    experiment I formatted it with 512 byte cluster.
    And Anna is right - there is no sense to use FAT32 in WinXP.

    --

    > Ron,
    > I did this just for a test.
    > Fdisk did it.
    > Cluster size is setted during formatting not creating partition. Just for
    > experiment I formatted it with 512 byte cluster.
    > And Anna is right - there is no sense to use FAT32 in WinXP.

    Well, I didn't say *exactly* that...

    First of all, in a multi-boot scenario involving Win9x/Me & WinXP, there
    *might* be good & sufficient reasons for creating FAT32 partition(s) in XP
    for the obvious reason that *all* those OSs would be able to access the
    FAT32 partition(s).

    And let me cite these experiences I had sometime ago...

    In at least two instances (perhaps a third one), two different clients were
    using custom-made applications in their businesses. In both cases the
    programs had been developed in a pre-XP OS and had been used in a FAT32 file
    system environment. They had never been updated after XP came on the scene
    and the developers of those programs were long since gone. When the clients
    went to a XP OS with the NTFS file system the programs just didn't work. All
    sorts of problems & issues raised their ugly heads. We tried XP's so-called
    "compatibility mode" but no go. It was only when we established a FAT32
    partition and installed the programs in that partition that these programs
    worked without problems. (The 128 GB barrier was not an issue here). I
    should point out that the experiences I speak of occurred prior to SP1/SP2
    so I don't know if those updates would have had any effect on the original
    problems. We were never able to discern why the problems we encountered with
    these programs occurred in NTFS and not FAT32, but we left well enough alone
    after we were able to get them working in FAT32.

    But I would certainly agree that NTFS is the preferred file system where a
    user is working solely in an XP environment.
    Anna

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    >> And Anna is right - there is no sense to use FAT32 in WinXP.
    >
    > Well, I didn't say *exactly* that...
    >
    > First of all, in a multi-boot scenario involving Win9x/Me & WinXP, there
    > *might* be good & sufficient reasons for creating FAT32 partition(s) in XP
    > for the obvious reason that *all* those OSs would be able to access the
    > FAT32 partition(s).
    >
    > And let me cite these experiences I had sometime ago...
    [skipped]

    The exception proves the rule ;)
    --
    éÇÏÒØ ìÅÊËÏ (Igor Leyko) MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    ipigl@redline.ru
    òÁÓÓÙÌËÁ "Windows&Office: ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÉ É ÓÏ×ÅÔÙ" ÎÁ www.subscribe.ru
    www.redline-isp.ru/~ipl

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:20:50 GMT, Lucite Lizard
    <lzrd@reptileworld.org> wrote:

    >Have put together a new computer and am about to partition the HDD
    >using the FAT32 file system. However, I have read that WinXP will not
    >allow for partitions larger than 32GB when using FAT32. Since my new
    >HDD is 250GB, that means I'll have about 8 different partitions if I
    >use the max 32GB limit. Yikes! I was thinking of using an old Win98
    >CD and using FDISK to divide the drive into 50GB partitions and then
    >install WinXP. Is it possible to it this way? Will WinXP still
    >recognize a 50GB partition and install and run properly? Any input
    >would be appreciated.

    Many of the followups are advising that you use NTFS, as if it cures
    all problems created by FAT32. That's not always true; NTFS has its
    own faults.

    1: You won't be able to read an NTFS partition with DOS-based
    emergency boot disks. I don't think NTFS-based emergency boot tools
    have come of age; many do not allow much access to the file system or
    utilities. There are some ways of getting around this (Bart-FS, etc)
    but it's not smoothly integrated into XP as far as I know. Anyone...
    feel free to post about good emergency boot tools for dealing with
    crashed NTFS boot partitions. I'd like to know more about this as
    well.

    2: Many legacy apps will implode when run on NTFS. Sometimes they
    just need to be tweaked and recompiled with a more modern compiler.
    Sometimes they require a more extensive overhall. Kind of like a real
    Y2K problem, except it's usually obscure and sparsely documented
    system calls that crash. (Ask me how I know about this)

    3: NTFS is not necessarily as cross-platform compatible as you'd
    think. XP is using a different NTFS version than Win2K, for instance.
    I'm not convinced that the transition is seemless. But I'm also not
    convinced that FAT32 will bridge that gap, as I've seen problems with
    Win2K reading an XP-formatted FAT32 partition. So this is a tossup.

    4: File dates/times are handled differently between FAT32 and NTFS.
    If you use a time/date-based file synchronizer that needs to sync
    FAT32 to NTFS, expect it to go crazy twice a year at daylight
    saving/daylight wasting time. Untouched files' timestamps will be
    magically transformed by one hour. This is because one system
    compensates the physical file timestamp while the other uses internal
    compensation.

    These are just a few problems. They don't all point toward using
    FAT32 or NTFS. Just stating them to put some perspective on it.

    I usually suggest that any user create a smaller C: partition (or C:
    and D: if you're using dual boot). 20GB to 30GB is generally enough.
    You can load the operating system, then load whatever 3rd party tools
    that you want to deal with creating of larger FAT32 partitions, if
    that is your choice.

    The main problem appears to be simply the *creation* of the large
    partition. After it's created I've never seen a case where XP
    couldn't read or write to it. If you have an existing system, you
    should be able to load Acronis Partition Expert or similar tool (old
    PartitonMagic) to create partitions on the new drive--then move the
    drive to the other system. (This is the statement that will probably
    gather most flak, but I have done this quite a bit myself. I need to
    test software with Win98/ME, so I run some large FAT32 partitions).

    It's tough to say why XP can't create large FAT32 partitions, but I
    believe it relates to MS's policy to discourage use of FAT32 in
    general. They're not acknowledging the large number of remaining
    WinME/98 systems still out there.

    "_RR" <_RR@nomail.org> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > It's tough to say why XP can't create large FAT32 partitions, but I
    > believe it relates to MS's policy to discourage use of FAT32 in
    > general. They're not acknowledging the large number of remaining
    > WinME/98 systems still out there.

    That mindset has flowed over to hardware manufacturers as well.
    A growing number of mother boards will not even accept Win98/ME installs, as
    they are not supplying drivers etc.
    (not a good sign for people with favourite software that won't install or
    run in WinXP.)

Partition Hard Drives Windows XP