[Q] Cannot open CHM files on locally mapped drive...

G'Day,

- Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates applied

I have a folder on my C drive shared and mapped as a network drive N:
(C:\SomeFolder\MySharedFolder). Now if I double click on
C:\SomeFolder\MySharedFolder\AHTLMHelpFile.chm it opens with no
problems.

However if I open the same file as N:\AHTLMHelpFile.chm it opens in the
HTML help viewer but each page displays:

<SNIP>
Action canceled

Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The
page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has
been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.

For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click
the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer
</SNIP>

--Donovan
6 answers Last reply
More about open files locally mapped drive

    Donovan J. Edye wrote:

    > However if I open the same file as N:\AHTLMHelpFile.chm it opens in the
    > HTML help viewer but each page displays:

    Hi,
    you should read the following article
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358

    There are some registry changes to solve this problem.

    --
    Juergen Heckel

    Juergen Heckel wrote:

    > Donovan J. Edye wrote:
    >
    > > > However if I open the same file as N:\AHTLMHelpFile.chm it opens
    > > > in the
    > > HTML help viewer but each page displays:
    > > > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    > >
    > Hi,
    > you should read the following article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
    >
    > There are some registry changes to solve this problem.

    Thanks that solved it.

    --
    --Donovan

    Why did they do this to us?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Donovan J. Edye" <donovan_nospam@edyeweb.com> wrote in message
    > Juergen Heckel wrote:

    > > > HTML help viewer but each page displays:
    > > >
    > > Hi,
    > > you should read the following article
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
    > >
    > > There are some registry changes to solve this problem.
    >
    > Thanks that solved it.
    >
    > --
    > --Donovan

    More importantly, what's Microsoft doing to solve it?

    Is the best solution for everyone using Windows to change their registry,
    thus exposing themselves to what was probably a pretty unlikely threat until
    Microsoft simultaneously sabotaged the chm platform they endorse and alerted
    the entire hacker community to the hole?

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > Why did they do this to us?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Donovan J. Edye" <donovan_nospam@edyeweb.com> wrote in message
    > > Juergen Heckel wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > > you should read the following article
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358
    > > >
    > > > There are some registry changes to solve this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks that solved it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --Donovan

    I haven't the foggiest idea. I never saw Microsoft do this type of thing to
    an integral part of Windows. Almost makes you wonder what else do they have
    up their sleeve when installing these security "fixes?"

    --
    George Hester

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgUGV0cm9z?= wrote:

    > Is the best solution for everyone using Windows to change their registry,
    > thus exposing themselves to what was probably a pretty unlikely threat until
    > Microsoft simultaneously sabotaged the chm platform they endorse and alerted
    > the entire hacker community to the hole?

    Hacker community?

Internet Explorer Windows XP