Sign in with
Your question

Need help with dual channel with AMD 64 processor

Last response: in Memory
February 23, 2004 11:23:53 PM

I just bought a Gigabyte nforce 3 150 Pro motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor and matched TwinX set of Corsair PC3200 ram (2 x 512 =1024megs). The concern I have is that I have heard that the nForce 3 150 chipset for the Athlon 64 does NOT support dual channel. Furthermore, I have heard that you will not only get the benefit of dual channel but that it will cause major problems with your system. In fact, some people have stated that you can only use 1 stick of memory because of this issue. Can anyone confirm or give me more information...especially if this issue has been resolved.

Thanks!!!
February 24, 2004 4:06:07 AM

- For socket 754 Athlon64, memory controller is integrated into the processor (not the chipset) and is single channel only.

- Current revision Athlon64 should be able to support up to two unbuffered double-sided dimms without a problem. However, i've seen a few cases where users could not get two unbuffered double-sided dimms to work at all. CG revision Athlon64s should be arriving in the future and will bring an improved memory controller.
!