SP

My laptop is running on WinXP Home SP2.

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and a message says:
-Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
is newer than the version on the CD.
-Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows ... the
file and settings cannot be recovered.

Questions:
-What are exactly those files and settings ??
-Does that mean all the programs and data ?
-Does that mean email settings ? Desktop ? And screen saver ?

Thanks
Steve

SP wrote:
> My laptop is running on WinXP Home SP2.
>
> I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and a message says:
> -Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your
> computer is newer than the version on the CD.
> -Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows ...
> the file and settings cannot be recovered.
>
> Questions:
> -What are exactly those files and settings ??
> -Does that mean all the programs and data ?
> -Does that mean email settings ? Desktop ? And screen saver ?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

You are trying to upgrade with an XP Pro cd that is pre-sp2, and since your
installed Home version has been updated to SP2, you are getting this
message.

You will need to either format and do a clean install, backing up of course
any important data files / settings you want to retain, then upgrade to SP2,
or easier would be to create a slipstreamed XP Pro cd with SP2. Do a search
for Auto Streamer, which is a good utility for creating a slipstreamed XP cd
with SP2.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Hi,

You are trying to upgrade with a version of WinXP Pro that does not have SP2
included. You need to either:

- Uninstall SP2 from the existing WinXP Home installation or
- Create a slipstreamed version of WinXP Pro from the installation media you
have and the SP2 download, you will find instructions here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

> Questions:
> -What are exactly those files and settings ??
> -Does that mean all the programs and data ?
> -Does that mean email settings ? Desktop ? And screen saver ?

It means you will lose all existing user accounts, data and settings
included, as continuing will wind up with a clean installation rather than
the desired upgrade. If you do not do one of the above, then the alternate
solution is to export the system via the files and settings transfer wizard
(fastwiz) before beginning the clean installation. This will provide you
with a means of recovering the majority of your existing setup. Details on
using this tool:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"SP" <none> wrote in message news:OEQ$y%23$cFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My laptop is running on WinXP Home SP2.
>
> I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and a message says:
> -Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
> is newer than the version on the CD.
> -Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows ... the
> file and settings cannot be recovered.
>

> Thanks
> Steve

SP

Thank you both very much for the tip on slipstreaming.

It worked great.
Steve

> Hi,
>
> You are trying to upgrade with a version of WinXP Pro that does not have
> SP2 included. You need to either:
>
> - Uninstall SP2 from the existing WinXP Home installation or
> - Create a slipstreamed version of WinXP Pro from the installation media
> you have and the SP2 download, you will find instructions here:
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>
>> Questions:
>> -What are exactly those files and settings ??
>> -Does that mean all the programs and data ?
>> -Does that mean email settings ? Desktop ? And screen saver ?
>
> It means you will lose all existing user accounts, data and settings
> included, as continuing will wind up with a clean installation rather than
> the desired upgrade. If you do not do one of the above, then the alternate
> solution is to export the system via the files and settings transfer
> wizard (fastwiz) before beginning the clean installation. This will
> provide you with a means of recovering the majority of your existing
> setup. Details on using this tool:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "SP" <none> wrote in message
>> My laptop is running on WinXP Home SP2.
>>
>> I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and a message says:
>> -Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
>> is newer than the version on the CD.
>> -Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows ... the
>> file and settings cannot be recovered.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Steve

SP

Thank you

I'm no longer a home boy. I'm a pro now :)

Thanks
Steve