I am recently now using my laptop on-line and so have updated various
stuff and added firewalls, etc. This may or may not be anything to do
with my problem...

After a while of usage the mouse will stutter...it's hard to
discribe...if you drag the cursor over the screen it will stop half way
then quickly catch up. I've also noticed this affects the sound. At the
exact same moment as the mouse is stuck, sound will drag if a a video
or song is playing. I'm stumped.

Any help would be great and it's making using my laptop a nightmare.

Thanks.

You have something on the system that is periodically placing a large load
on the CPU and bogging down the system. Open Task Manager - go to tasks -
look for the task that is using the most CPU cycles percentage wise.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban